“Lovely” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 76 Hotels in Antigua
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at this beautiful and safe hotel. The staff were friendly and the rooms were nice. I would have given it 5 stars, however, I do feel the rooms were a little over priced for what you get. I only say this as Antigua has a very competitive market catering for tourists and the choices of hotels are endless. In saying this though, we did enjoy our stay and compliment the friendly staff for all their help and for making our stay comfortable.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Whitehorse, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

I stayed here three times over two and a half weeks, as I made Antigua my travel hub. I love this hotel! The flower and plant filled inner courtyards and the rooftop terrace are beautiful. The huge wooden doors, locked at night, keep guests as safe as they must have kept the original owners centuries ago. It is located close to the centre, but the street itself is very quiet. If you have concerns about safety at night, the restaurant next door isn't cheap, but it is very, very good. The staff are wonderful, very friendly and helpful! On my third visit, I was given an enormous and very beautiful room because, the charming young clerk told me, I am now a special guest! It was lovely to be recognized and greeted by name! Even the young security men sleeping by the front door were pleasant at 4 in the morning when they had to let me out for my early bus to Copan. I had been nervous about coming to Guatemala, as I am an older woman travelling alone, so I asked to be met at Aurora Airport in Guatemala City. The driver's sign wasn't large, so I had a moment of panic when I didn't see it right away, but once I spotted my name and made my way through the crowd, everything went very well. This service is definitely worth the money if you have any anxiety at all. When I left, the staff arranged the shuttle bus to Aurora Airport for me, which was very nice. This hotel is definitely "my hotel" in Antigua, and when I return, I will stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Englewood, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

I considered giving it 5 fobs. If it was slightly cheaper or the beds slightly more plush, I likely would have. Antigua is an atmospheric tourist town where hoteliers appear to compete qualitatively. There are a lot of attractive superior properties in the $50-100 per night range. If paying more, I hope you get something truly special because there's a lot of quality in the mid-range properties and some super value among lesser priced hostels. After a week home stay in language school at San Pedro on Lake Atitlan, Casa Antigua was very inviting (my teens endorsed the place). We stayed in a slightly higher priced triple on the front court yard. The hotel is a classic old aristocrat's home converted to hotel of which Antigua has many. Wifi issues in certain rooms? My son noted the ancient 2 foot thick solid walls. The property is well maintained with orchids hanging in the halls and birds of paradise in the courtyards. Coffee and filtered water is openly on offer. Rear rooms offer seclusion and 'at home' furnishing in covered courtyard nooks. The place is quiet and secure with the staff very helpful. It enjoys a particularly advantageous location a block from the central square just off the avenue with the Santa Catalina arch. I easily endorse the place.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Portland, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

I spent a week in this beautiful hotel with a group of 22 people, and the Customer Service was amazing. All the staff, "chicas y chicos" were very polite, respectful, helpful and nice and provided an excellent customer service even though we were a big group with many teenagers. The breakfast buffet was excellent and delicious. The Hotel has one of the best locations in town, very close to the central plaza and it was very safe ( they looked the street doors at night.) And there are many delicious restaurants and coffee shops in the same street and all around. The Hotel has a little store where they sell the most beautiful hand made blouses, bags, dresses, boots and shoes, blankets, etc etc, and you can guaranty they are authentic. The lady Esperanza who works at the store is very knowledgeable of her culture and traditions and very nice too.
I totally recommend visiting Antigua that is beautiful and staying in this great Hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Small, intimate hotel. Friendly staff, comfortable beds, clean & safe (street entrance locked at night). No A/C but a fan was provided & I comfortable sleeping with windows open. Excellent location...close to central plaza & several eating places. WiFi coverage in courtyard/reception area. This was my 2nd stay and I would stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Beautiful grounds, distinctive and beautiful large room and bath, very quiet, but centrally located just a couple blocks from the central plaza. Very helpful staff, especially with early early shuttle to Airport.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dublin Éire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

This hotel was a good place to stay for the couple of nights we had in Antigua. There were pros and cons - on the positive side it is a charming garden/courtyard where you can have your breakfast and its in a super location very near the town plaza etc. There is a great view from the roof terrace. They can provide a very generous breakfast for $5 US (but coffee lovers will prefer to go elsewhere for their hit!). The wifi didn't work in our room only at reception and in courtyard to a certain extent. We didn't get much helpful information about local places to eat at reception (but perhaps this is because day receptionists seem to be much more knowledgeable than night ones and we arrived later in the day). Our hotel door could be pushed open even when locked and no safe is provided so we were glad to have our own locks for valuables in bags. The shower heat and pressure was dependent on whether others were showering at the same time (ie could blast hot or cold all of a sudden and stay that way). I couldn't honestly say that I thought it was great value for money but if you're looking for something in the center on a budget and you're not bothered about the other things then this would be a good choice.

Room Tip: rooms at the back away from noise of the street - check your door closes properly!