“Very Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 76 Hotels in Antigua
Chicago, Illinois
“Very Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I stayed here last week on the last night before I departed. After spending several days at Hotel Aurora in Antigua, this hotel was very disappointing. They were $40 more a night for a 2-bedroom and did not even have purified water in the room like all the other hotels where we stayed. (You could purchase bottled water only at the front desk). Whereas all other hotels allowed us and wanted us to pay at check-out, this hotel demanded we pay the hotel bill in full within an hour on arrival or incur a 10% surcharge on our credit card which they stated they would run through. This required us immediately to drop everything and go to a cash machine to withdraw the quetzels to pay the bill. The room had bare concrete walls and the bathroom was average-poor. The room felt and looked cheap for what we were paying (over $100 a night). The gardens and decorations were mediocre and not particularly pretty. From 4 am on, people were rolling their suitcases past our paper-thin room walls to leave on trips which resulted in a terrible nights sleep. I would not stay here again. The location in town also is not very desirable. It is on a side street which is rather dark and felt unsafe late at night.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
mexicohicks1, Owner at Hotel Casa Antigua, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
As always, we are thankful for any feed back. This guest stayed in Hotel Casa Antigua during the week of Semaña Santa, which is the busiest week of the year and all hotels double or triple their rates. They stayed in the other comparing hotels before Semaña Santa. So, this is not a fare comparison on price. Our double room normal price is $65 & during Semaña Santa is $105. So, we only increase our price by $40, not double or triple, like most other hotels in Antigua. During this week, Antigua is very full with celebrations and processions, so people are getting up early and staying out late to see all the festivities in the streets. And, yes, there is going to be more noise in Antigua during this week. We do have free purified water (large 5-gal dispenser bottles)& free coffee 24 hrs per day in 2 different locations in the hotel for all our guest. During the week of Semaña Santa, all banks are closed Wed through Sunday, so for safety reasons of keeping lots of cash in the hotel register, we do ask hotel guest to pay by Tuesday of this week so we can deposit in the bank. This guest comment about the gardens does not compare to the other 100+ good comments, so I am not sure what they was expecting, but we have beautiful manicured gardens that we are proud of. Then, their comment about the location is totally off base. Our location is 1 and a half blocks (3-minute walk) from Antigua's main central park. We are on 3rd Calle, (entrance is direct on the street, not a side street) which is the main entrance to the city of Antigua, and this is the single most widest street in the entire city. This guest must have been expecting a street like Michigan Ave from their city. So, on a positive note, Hotel Casa Antigua has 153 excellent reviews that can not be all wrong. Please come to enjoy our hotel and city for yourself.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

I normally stay here with groups of volunteers who come from different parts of the world and we all love this hotel.

The staff is AMAZING, the location is fabulous and I love the new improvements on the front desk and other parts of the hotel.

It's hard to find a very attentive and detail-oriented staff and this hotel has both. The staff takes good care of all my groups and are always very approachable and kind.

The rooms are safe, clean, spacious, there's plenty of hot water... I could live here.

• Stayed March 2013
Harlingen, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I chose Hotel Casa Antigua for my lodging in Antigua Guatemala based upon the description of the hotel in the Lonely Planet Guatemala guidebook, as well as the many reviews posted by former guests here on TripAdvisor.

E-mail communication with hotel personnel was fast and easy. In order to secure my reservation, the hotel requested my credit card information, then charged my credit card $10 and issued a $10 credit. This is a standard practice that I have experienced at other hotels in the past.

When I arrived at the hotel, the reception staff requested a payment of $162 ($49 each night for three nights + $5 for breakfast each morning for three mornings), which I paid with US Dollars.

On the first morning, breakfast was buffet style, and consisted of juice, coffee, yogurt, beans, fresh cheese slices, toast, scrambled and hard-boiled eggs, pancakes with syrup or honey, cooked sweet bananas, papaya, watermelon, fried hot dogs with onions, and several dry cereals. On the final two mornings, breakfast consisted on these same items, but was served on two plates. My guess is that the staff opts to implement the buffet style only when the hotel is full of guests or is very near capacity.

My room featured a clean bed with linens of great quality, a small circular fan, a safe to store valuables, and a television with many channels, some in english (CNN, BBC). The room did not have air conditioning, a telephone, or a clock.

In the bathroom, there was ample hot water in the shower and plenty of towels, although some were a bit ragged. One point to stress is that the bathroom, and the entire room, was VERY clean.

Free internet for guests was available at a common computer in the courtyard area, and several purified water dispensers were stationed in the outside corridors.

Speaking of the corridors, this is a minor flaw of the hotel. The hotel's rooms are accessed by walking down these corridors, and even though they are located outside, they have an echo effect. So if a loud conversation is taking place between guests or a door is slammed, the sound echoes down the corridors and can be heard very clearly in the room. During my first night at the hotel, I was awakened by a group of teenagers laughing and talking loudly. The noise must be an ongoing issue for the hotel, as they have posted several paper signs on the corridor walls asking guests to be quiet due to other people sleeping.

The hotel is conveniently located near the Parque Central, with a few sights and many restaurants nearby.

With its great housekeeping and friendly and attentive staff, Hotel Casa Antigua is a great buy for your travel dollar. I am very surprised that the hotel is (currently) ranked #18 out of 69 hotels in Antigua Guatemala here on TripAdvisor. If this hotel continues to perform at the level that I experienced, there is no doubt in my mind that it will climb into the top 10 hotels in the Antigua area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Sausalito, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We spent our last night in Guatemala at this great colonial hotel. I highly recommend it! The service was excellent, and the rooms were lovely. Gorgeous breakfast in the courtyard. Views of volcanos puffing smoke from the rooftop! Exquisite. I will surely be back for more.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Vernon, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We discovered this hotel by accident and are glad of the find. It was better value than the other place we stayed. The posted rate was $80+ but the over the counter price was just $40. A great value for a hotel with these amenities and so close to the main Plaza.
We had a quiet room at the very back. It was good sized with a double and single bed, end tables, a place to hang clothes and a desk to check up on the free Wifi.
The bathroom had plenty of hot water, good towels and hooks for them, a decent mirror and plenty of light.
Outside the room we had use of a large couch, two chairs and a table. There was paintings on our walls as well as some in the courtyards. There was lots flowers and plants to add to the ambience.
One could also use the lawn furniture around the fountains. There was also a rooftop terrace to have a glass of wine in the evenings, which I think we enjoyed with the previous poster.
The staff spoke some english and were very helpful They also stored our some of our souvenirs while we travelled the rest of the country.
They had an ajoining gift shop and also served breakfast.
A good hotel, helpful staff , great value, a great location and pleasant ambience, what more could ask for. I would stay there again and would reccomend Casa Antigua to anyone.

Room Tip: If you get a room at the back you won't hear other travellers rolling suitcases early in the mor...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I recently stayed at the Hotel Casa Antigua again, and I'm already ready to return. The hotel itself is pretty, very comfortable and couldn't be more conveniently located--a block from the Parque Central. But what attracts me most to the hotel is the wonderful staff that runs it. In advance of our arrival, Leidy answered all my e-mail questions punctually and efficiently. Then I loved watching her in the "recepción" as she seemingly simultaneously made change, answered the phone, processed new guests and more, all with a smile. Patti, also in the "recepción," was equally helpful and friendly. Lilián, Dina and Claudia kept our rooms clean and also served our sumptuous breakfast every morning, with a healthy dose of hospitality and charm. They are my new friends in La Antigua. The two nightwatchmen, Jesús and Josué, were diligent in their duties as well as friendly as we came and went. And another bonus to staying in the Hotel Casa Antigua is the Mayan Boutique run by Esperanza and her husband, Martín. (She is also aided by other members of her family, Patti and Wilfredo.) Four of our party of six bought very attractive bags, which I used for my iPad (padded pocket that fit perfectly) and loose change. The other 2 members of our group wanted bags, so the Boutique made them to order. Another customer bought a tailor-made, padded bag for her laptop. And back home, I'm savoring some rich coffee, produced by Esperanza's father. It was a terrific visit, and I'll be sure to stay there again when I return to La Antigua, Guatemala.

Room Tip: I prefer the lighter rooms, and away from the noise of rolling luggage in late/early hours.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

The hotel is conveniently located near the center of Antigua. But once inside the hotel it is calm, with beautiful flowers adorning 3 patios. The rooms are comfortable and the employees are friendly and helpful. Attached to the hotel is an excellent store (Mayan Boutique) featuring clothes and accessories made of Mayan fabrics. The employees are very knowledgeable, and many of the items are made in house. We spent a delightful 8 days there and will certainly return.

Room Tip: I had room 19 which was nice, as was the one where my friend stayed (13).
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Casa Antigua? Share your experiences!