“Very friendly staff and great stay in Antigua!” 5 of 5 stars

You added El Hostal Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
El Hostal Bed and Breakfast
1ra. Avenida Sur No.8, Antigua, Guatemala   |
Los Angeles, California
“Very friendly staff and great stay in Antigua!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I loved this hostel and the staff! The dorm I stayed in was very clean and the grounds were peaceful and inviting. I especially loved the courtyard in the center and their fresh juice bar. The breakfast was great, too! I loved Antigua and know that I will be returning one day -- El Hostel will be my go to place. Thank you for a great time!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I'm at a place in life where I like to stay at fancier hotels. But a number of years ago I was taking a trip with my bestie through Guatemala (I've since been back twice), and we stayed here. The garden is lovely, the people are super nice. They have private rooms that are truly as nice as many of the smaller B & B's I've been to since. For a hostel, especially, this is a wonderful spot. And the breakfast was great!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I found this hostel to be great value - the private rooms are spacious and the dorms and showers/bathrooms are kept to a high standard of cleanliness. There is a nice garden, with a bar, and breakfast (very good and with coffee) is included in the price! You can easily book your tranport and tours from reception, and the atmosphere is friendly, but peaceful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

My friends and I stayed at this hotel the 4 times we passed through and visited Antigua during 3 weeks in Guatemala. It was a favorite without question. You have choices with the included breakfast?!? I would have stayed there based on the Huevos Rancheros alone. Additional perks include happy hour on beer, HOT showers (not the sketchy electric ones either), constantly maintained and cleaned facilities, and owners and a staff who are helpful, genuine, and all about making your travels easier and less stressful. They provide shuttles to many places and are in a way partnered with other great hostels like Zephyr lodge in lanquin and Quetzal Rue in Guate. We recommended the hostel to so many people we kept running back into other travelers on our return visits. Great hostel I hope to visit them again one day soon!

• Stayed May 2013
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

This hostel is the best! The rooms are clean and functional. The common area is beautiful and relaxed and a cool place to hang out and chat with other travellers and the food is delicious. The young couple who own El Hostal are amazing, some of the sweetest are caring people I have ever met. I cant wait to go back and will never stay anywhere else!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Stayed here on my first night and last couple of nights in Guatemala.
On my first night i had opted for a dorm bed. Room was clean, bed clean. Door was left unlocked to room which was a concern at first but the hostel is inaccessible to anyone other than guests and staff and there was lockable storage available.
On my last few days before flying out i chose to upgrade to my own room which was spacious, clean.
Overall the hostel staff were helpful, the hostel was clean, showers had hot water and worked. It was only 5-10 minutes walk to main square and there was a pub just opposite the hostel if this was to much.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

The hostel is in quiet part of town, but considering the size of town it's not a big issue.
However few employees dont speak english and ocasionaly ignore non spanish speakers(mainly when one needs to be served, not when one wants to pay)
That happend to me with breakfast, even that i was asking if i can get it I was answered "yes, sure" and ignored. However everyone coming after me talking spanish got their food in not too bad time. I waited approximately 40 minutes and no one cared.
After complaints they looked to be sorry.

• Stayed May 2013
Klaberth, Manager at El Hostal Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
We are really sorry that have waited that long for your breakfast, as we explain that day and extend our apologies for the girl that did not understood your question in english, she speaks a little english and understood that you were asking if we were serving breakfast?, and she say yes, and you left, but there was the menu there in front of you and you did not ask for any option and you saw it was very busy, and that was the confusion, we are sorry but you need to know that not everybody will speak english in a non english speaking country. Thank You for your review, in El Hostal there are only guatemalan people working and they are learning english little by little but i can assure you that with a little patience you can communicate and there is always someone that they can call if you need/want to speak in english if nobody speaks english at the moment.

Been to El Hostal Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!