“Beautiful views and a simple place to just chill out” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Earth Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Antigua
Earth Lodge
Aldea El Hato, Antigua, Guatemala   |
Ranked #10 of 60 Specialty lodging in Antigua
Norman, Oklahoma
“Beautiful views and a simple place to just chill out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

I chose this location to introduce my girlfriend to a pseudo-hostal style of travel. I say pseudo, because while Earth Lodge definitely has a lot of hostal vibe to it, and includes dorm and hammock accommodations, it is also a bit more than that - with it's full service restaurant and very nice private rooms. As I'm a bit older these days, I do appreciate something that offers a little more comfort to a "not twenty-something" (cough cough) backpack traveler.

The views here are incredible, and you will not tire of them. You can just chill out and enjoy the day, or choose to take a hike - either short or long. We did a bit of both. We stayed in the tree house private, which is really cool. Tiny, but cool, and with the best view ever. On our 3rd and final day it was a bit windy, and they offered us a move to a nicer ground level room, which we accepted. This was a nice move. The tree house was safe, but falling twigs might have made sleeping a little tough in the wind.

The food was wonderful, and very vegetarian friendly. The avocado dishes were fantastic! Nothing like tree ripened avocados straight from the property farm. Getting to Earth Lodge has minor challenges. You will have to pay a small taxi fee, and hike a bit. But road construction should soon be completed and make it easier - at least on the hiking issue. But we didn't mind, and found it all fun.

I'm giving Earth Lodge a 5 rating. That's high, and if I could choose 4.5 I'd probably go that level, just so there's be room to grow. But 4 is too low... so I'm clicking 5. :)

Thanks Earth Lodge! If fate brings us to the area again, we'll stop by for a second visit.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

158 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Antigua, Guatemala
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

A must see if you go to Antigua. Only a 10 min shuttle ride but it feels like you are miles away. I love going to Earth Lodge on Sundays for the BBQ and great music. Besides one of the best views in the area, amazing food and cozy lodging, the staff are very welcoming and friendly.
Thanks for always making me feel at home!!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms have a unique style to them. The tree house is a must but book in advance
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
antigua
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

Not sure what else to say except that this place is pretty incredible. Its just a short hike, bike ride or car trip outside of the hustle and bustle of Antigua, nestled up on a ridge overlooking town. They have A-frame cabins and super cool tree houses perched right on the side of the mountain. The sunsets from up there are some of the best I've ever seen. Its a great place to get away from the tourist crowds, enjoy the local trails, or take in the live music BBQ sundays. If you're gonna be in Antigua and are looking for something a little different Earth Lodge is the place. Not to forget, the food, man the food is good!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

We stayed at Earth Lodge for two nights when we first arrived in Guatemala, and had a great time. We stayed in an A frame cabin and then in the 'deluxe' tent. You don't really pay for the accommodation here - both are fine but basic. What you pay for is the atmosphere, which is peaceful and idyllic. The food is also fantastic - can highly recommend the guacamole, pesto and cheese sandwiches!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi there,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a great review! I agree, the pesto avocado grilled cheese is amazing!! We hope the rest of your travels were successful and hope to see you again at Earth Lodge!
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

Yes it's a nice location but to pay more for the shuttle one way than a room was a fee we weren't expecting. We had been told the shuttle was free. We waited over an hour for it, and then the driver wanted to be paid 70Q, if we had known that we would have just caught our own taxi. Then we got out and didn't know where to go, we asked and he just pointed. It was about 6pm and getting dark as we had to trek it 20 mins not knowing where we were going on a dusty mountain trail. We finally made it but would have preferred to have been warned 1. Of the price of the shuttle (cheaper with more ppl but how were we to know) 2. That it would be a long walk as the road was being worked on. We weren't sure what to expect from wandering in the dark in the hills and did not feel safe.

We had also been told the menu was only vegetarian when we booked but saw on the blackboard there was a meat option which we were able to switch to.

The showers weren't the cleanest and had a 'misty' water pressure.

We hung out the following day and went on a hike which was well explained and we enjoyed.

Food was good, and plentiful but expensive.

Otherwise I just would have liked to be informed as to what to expect when arriving.

• Stayed January 2014
Hi guys,
So sorry for the miscommunication on getting up here. I think that part of the problem is that the hostel you were staying in the night before you came here misinformed you on some key issues. Our shuttle has never been free and we do have some meat options usually for dinner. I have contacted this hostel to explain these points in the hopes that future guests are better informed. The other problem was that when you called us to make your reservation, the reception was really bad so we weren't able to give you the options of ride times. We just tried to get the basic info across and left it at that. I realize that wasn't the best thing, so I have informed my staff to try and communicate better with guests over the phone.
Thank you for your review and feedback, we will do our best to improve.
Happy travels!!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

My wife and I had a blast there. The staff goes out of their way to help you. The view is off the chart. I consider this place a great place when you need to re-gain focus. If you need access to comfortable facilities, I'd recommend you get the Earth's cabin because it has its own bathroom. Love it, love it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

This place sucks, but great view! but they treated us like children and forced us into buying over priced meals by not supplying a kitchen or offering any other food option than their 65 q meal! Stupidly priced drinks as well, double what I paid anywhere else in guatemala
so many rules as well! we felt like we were crashing someone elses house.

it was a really nice spot but id recommend staying somewhere else and just taking a bus up to a lookout nearby. they try to appear all peace and love but it was so fake. After arriving, we were hardly welcomed by the staff, didn't even get a chance to put our bags down before being told we had to decide RIGHT THEN if we wanted to take part in their communal dinner. Also the staff didn't really know much about the area and even about their own accommodation. We were given a key to a locker which didn't actually exist.

Also we chose to stay in the 'deluxe tent' which was a broken old tent. the tent I had in my bag was 1000 times better and cost the same as my two night stay there.

very very dissapointed.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Hello,
Sorry you thought Earth Lodge "sucked" as you so eloquently put it. It seems that you didn't take the time to do any research about Earth Lodge before you came. If you had, you would have known that we do not and never have had a kitchen for guest use and you could have found out some of our prices. They are clearly marked on our webpage and we could have let you know over the phone if you had asked us. As well, many people who have written on TripAdvisor have commented that we are not that cheap, so if you had read that, you would have known. Earth Lodge is not a budget hostel, and I'm sorry if you thought that we were. We do have guests come here that are on all kinds of budgets and most find that they can work with the prices we have. The "faux hippies" comment is actually really funny as it is so untrue, we do not try to "be all peace and love", I really have no idea where you came up with that!! Regardless... we are a business, not your friend's house, so yes, there are rules and I'm sorry if you felt that there were too many. We have replaced the tent that you were in as it was a bit older and now have a new tent in its place, so thank you for that feedback. In summary, I would encourage you as a budget traveler and any other budget travelers reading this to do some research before arriving to hotels or hostels, so you know what to expect pricewise and you don't leave angry.
Thanks for taking the time to write a review.

Been to Earth Lodge? Share your experiences!