“Great food, great views” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Earth Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Antigua
Earth Lodge
You added Earth Lodge to your Saves list
Aldea El Hato, Antigua, Guatemala   |
Ranked #10 of 68 Specialty Lodging in Antigua
“Great food, great views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights and let me tell you it is a relaxing place. It is perfect to just getaway and relax in the mountain for a bit. The rooms where ok, better than expected for an Eco friendly place. Shared bathrooms where clean and well maintained. The best was the view you have from here as well as the delicious food (a bit expensive) but worth it.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Lovely things about this place;
- morning yoga
- the location and views
- peaceful and relaxing common area with open fire
- fire-heated sauna

Not so lovely;
- communal 'family' meals which were essentially compulsory and unnecessarily expensive. The staff sat always on a table seperately from the guests and there was no real 'family' atmosphere. On the Friday when the meal was compulsory (even for guests arriving hours after dinnertime) it definitely wasn't good value. On other days it was essentially compulsory too as there is no guest kitchen to make your own food and snacks/ cheaper food options to buy stop at 3pm.
- the staff only seemed to become enthusiastic about engaging with guests when they were spending money. there was a definite for-profit feel to the place that I haven't found in other eco-orientated places.

Overall, worth a short stay here for the ease of relaxing and the views. But expect to spend more than you would like to on food and drink.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Months before I arrived in Guatemala, I had been told about the legendary burgers, which were enough of a pull for me, but I had subsequently heard nothing but raving reviews about the place itself and not just the food. I figured it would be a perfect final stop for my friends crazy two week, three country trip with me so I booked into a canopy cabin for the night.

We arrived for the Sunday BBQ with live music and tucked into, in my opinion, possibly one of the best burgers I have ever had, which given my tour of London restaurants last year in search of the best burger, is saying something. I have also never had a burger in such a perfect setting, overlooking three majestic volcanoes, one gently smoking away. The Sunday atmosphere provides a great introduction to the ambiance of the lodge and the affinity that tourists and locals alike hold for this special place. You can see nothing but a peace and happiness in their faces, which for me, was epitomized by a girl who spent a straight two hours dancing to the music with her hula hoop.

After the day visitors had left, we all sat down for dinner at 7:00, guests and staff all talking and eating around the big wooden tables. A passer by wouldn't know that most had only just met earlier in the day. The food is expertly cooked, all natural and completely delicious, with extra left overs for those with a ravenous appetite. Not forgetting the dessert of course, trying the Avocado Key Lime Pie is a must, don't leave without ticking that box.

It didn't take me long to check into the dorm room for an extra couple of nights, at which point I was told my third night would be free as part of a rainy season deal. After a few drinks and a slice of very tasty brownie, I called it a night and headed to the quaint cabin to get a great nights sleep.

I woke early to an indescribable view that my words couldn't possibly do justice to, and lounged in a hammock outside the lodge whilst calling the family on Skype, which was the start of three perfect unwind days. It quickly became apparent that I was going to struggle to leave despite a need to get south to Costa Rica in three weeks. What followed were days filled with great food (countless avocados...its an avocado farm after all so take advantage), great people, great views and an ever increasing desire to stay for longer, we even had a sauna one night.

I am finding it difficult to reasonably summarize Earth Lodge so I will simply say, in all seriousness, be careful coming here if you have limited time...I can not figure out why you would ever want to leave. Even now as I write this over a breakfast of scrambled eggs with avocado (of course), I feel a pull telling me to cancel my Antigua accommodation tonight.

Thank you to all at Earth Lodge for a wonderful experience, I have a sneaky suspicion I will see you again. All the best...Martin

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I have visited 25 countries, and Earth Lodge is like no other place that I've ever visited. It's simply a place for relaxing: reading, eating, meeting people from around the world, watching a movie, talking, enjoying nature, playing games, and enjoying a few drinks without getting drunk.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Antwerp, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Attention:
In recent months there have been robberies of hikers in the area around the earth lodge. The lodge confirmed to us that they no longer feel confortable in providing guests with the self-designed maps of the hiking trails in the area. The owner also told us that the locals strongly advice against any hiking in this area.

We expected to use the lodge to discover the surroundings (hiking) and were very disappointed by this news. We expect this news to be updated on the website of the lodge.

The views are breath-taking, however we don't recommend to use this lodge for any other purpose than relaxing on the premises (which most guests seem to do as volunteers in the area) and enjoying the view. Going to antigua is very burdensome as there are few other options than private shuttle.

We also recommend to reach the lodge before it's dark, because the path to the lodge from the road is very slippery, steep and dark. In any case make sure you have very good flashlights as the paths within the premises can be very challenging as well after dinner!

We found the lodge average price - quality in general (rooms are small and basic, food is ok but pricy when compared to food options in antigua).

Room Tip: We have visited the tree house and found very little added value. Whilst the view is one of a kind...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
brihavey, Owner at Earth Lodge, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for your review of Earth Lodge. I would like to respond to a few things that you mentioned in order to make things a bit more accurate. First of all, there have been a few robberies along the road to Antigua in the last few weeks. No guests of Earth Lodge were robbed, but we have been advising guests not to hike until things have settled down, as we want to make sure everyone stays safe. We have been in contact with the police, the Guatemalan Hotel association, and the Minister of Security in Guatemala to expedite finding the robbers in order to open up the hiking again. Again, we just want to play it safe, but everyone should remember that we are in Guatemala and robberies do happen unfortunately. We have updated our website to let future guests know.
Yes, people come here to relax!! That's what we are here for. For those reading this response...Earth Lodge is NOT the place to come if you plan to go to Antigua everyday, but a place to come and relax, enjoy the view, and unwind from your travels.
I would also like to address the food cost issue as many people have commented that our food is more expensive than Antigua. First of all, we are not trying to compete with Antigua hotels and restaurants. We pride ourselves on having delicious, hearty, home made meals and food and shopping simply costs more to transport up here. In addition, we pay our local workers above minimum wage and we pay all of our taxes, which is something that a lot of businesses in Guatemala don't do, therefore they can charge less. Earth Lodge is not a budget hotel, but a place to come when you want to have a relaxing time and splash out on great food and comfortable rooms.
Thanks again, enjoy the rest of your travels!
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Most amazing place i have ever stayed. Views. Food. Tree house. Summer concerts. And staff were all phenomenal ...bordering on heavenly. Grab a beer listen to reggae music and swing in a hammock while u look out on coffee fields and the quaint old world town of Antiqua that is framed by two volcanoes in the background. To top it off the camping, Mayan sauna, hiking the Goat Trails and the fact that many proceeds go to support Las Manos de Christine a truly charitable organization that does amazing work in the local pueblo. A win win win and a must see if you are trolling thru Guate looking for a get away.

Room Tip: Stay in the tree house if u can, canopy cabins are excellent and camping in the meadow is affordable...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
brihavey, Owner at Earth Lodge, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thanks for the amazing review!! We hope to see you again someday, enjoy the rest of your travels!!
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed at the Earth Lodge 3 days into our 11 days trip to Guatemala. After staying at El Hostal, the Earth Lodge gave us a much needed rest from the frantic city that is Antigua.

The communal supper & the ham soup & the lentils soup I ate during my one night stay at the lodge were all very good and felt much more satisfying than the beans and salsa meals typical of Guatemala.

We wish there was yoga classes more than 2 days per week. The view from the lodge is fantastic, so is the hike around.

The beds are a bit uncomfortable and feel very damp to the touch. I would've appreciated a little more bedsheets but that's just me.

Room Tip: The upper bunk beds get quite hot in the morning. Try and get the lower bunks if you stay in the dor...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Earth Lodge? Share your experiences!