“A lovely place hidden behind a wall” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Lo De Bernal
3.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   1a Calle Poniente # 23, Antigua, Guatemala   |
Ranked #28 of 88 Antigua B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“A lovely place hidden behind a wall”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

When you first find the hotel in Antigua (a super fun, friendly place), you need to knock on an Oz-like trap door to be admitted, but once you're in, you find a truly lovely hotel. The front desk staff (while we were there, it was usually the same girl) are very nice and approachable, and clearly want you to have a great stay. The hotel is located right in the middle of the tourist area of Antigua, and you can walk less than 20 minutes and find a CRAZY market, churches, parks, and the people are super friendly. There are many people selling stuff, but a firm "no gracias" does the trick.

Breakfast is included, but you can pay extra (US$1) to add eggs to the meal-they were delicious. They serve other light food, but I'm pretty sure they get it delivered from somewhere else and just heat it up. There are tons of yummy restaurants in the area, and we just brought back food and beer to eat in their little courtyard eating area, which they're cool with.

We stayed on the first floor, so it was fairly noisy in the morning. We were awakened by a rooster each morning (we stayed 2 nights), and hotel staff start doing their thing pretty early. We slept well at night, so we were annoyed by the early rising- days in Guatemala start early, no matter where you are, so we just got up and started the day early with them.

The bathroom was tiny, but good enough, and the room was nice. There are TVs with satellite and free wifi. The front desk people will help you with everything.

If I go back to Antigua, I'll definitely stay there again!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Guatemala City, Guatemala
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

I was so happy to have booked this hotel for my anniversary. Even though I had to book one day before due to my schedule conflicts, they were so fast to get back at me and arrange everything.

The entrance to the hotel consisted of a heavy wooden door which got me thinking whether I had made the right choice, but as soon as they opened it, my opinion changed immediately. I was greeted by Brenda which was so nice to us, and she showed us all the hotel (which is, let's not say small but cozy). She led us to our room which was the one with the huge windows, but we had no problem with privacy since they are tainted white so nobody can see inside but the light reached us perfectly.

We went to dinner late at night and we asked for some directions, Brenda not only gave us accurate ones but also recommended other two places in the category of the one we had planned, just in case...

At the next morning we went to have our breakfast and opted for the $1 egg which I think could have been better, I don't know maybe throw something else along with the eggs? But all in all the breakfast was very good. We went out for an hour long walk and enjoyed our time in beautiful Antigua. The only "however" I found was that when we came back it would have been a nice touch to have had our room fixed but it was as we had left it one hour ago... mmm my experience could have been a 6/5 instead.

When we left that morning we wanted a quiet place to watch a soccer game and Cesar managed to give us a couple very good places to do so... that went from very expensive places to Burger King... Talk About Options!!!! jajajaja!

I highly recommend it... I really do.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2010

We stayed for 3 nights. The first and third night we slept in the master suite room 201: The bedroom is amazing. The king size bed super cozy. Bathroom big. The only thing we didn´t like was that we could hear the cars on the street and the people knocking on the hotels´ door since it is always closed. The second night we slept in room 102: Very small but ok. Bathroom way too small. Only one window that faced the hall where everyone had to passed through in order to get to the kitchen or restaurant area. Not a good idea to stay in this one if you are planning to rest in the morning. Breakfast time ends at 10:30am. Can´t give any feedback in regards to the lunch or dinner. Breakfast was ok. For $1.00 more you can upgrade from continental to american breakfast (eggs and cereal). We do recommend this hotel because it is pretty cozy and beautiful but if you are a light sleeper you might want to check for other options.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2009

My wife and I had a wonder ful time and we really felt at home. It is small but very charming and really gives you a genuine feel for Antigua. Highly recommended!!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
NEW YORK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2009

Second time in Antigua, hotel do de bernal is new and very chaming. Only 8 rooms altogether. Request the rooms upstairs, the average rooms downstairs are too exposed to everyone. Room 104 and 105 are good since they are the most private downstairs. Just pay a bit extra and stay upstairs and you will get all the privacy you need. The front desk staff is very accomodating and the worker in the kitchen. The breakfast was just fruits and eggs however for an additional $1.00 US you will get eggs and toast. Well worth it.
Overall the hotel is quiet and very suitable for a stay in Antigua. Try Friedas it has the best mexican food in Antigua as well as the best margaritas.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

We booked the suite for our stay the fourth week of July. My husband went there today (he has been staying in Antigua for the last two weeks) to confirm our reservation (I have the printed confirmation, but wanted to double make sure.) Nope, they double booked the rooms so they said that they would "accomodate" us by giving us a lesser room for one night, and then we could move to the suite the next night. And at the same "bargain" price we paid for the suite. What a scummy hotel.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2009

I was very skeptical about this hotel since it only had one review at the time I booked it. I booked through Travelocity and they were giving me such a great deal, I went for it. I wasn't disappointed. The hotel has a large wooden door with a small peep door so when you arrive , you knock on the heavy door and the receptionist will verify who it is and let you in. The inside court area is nice and quant and there is a free internet terminal as well as free WIFI. The rooms are in great condition and bathrooms looked newly renovated. Very hot water and generally no complaints. The rooms can be dark and a little stuffy if you keep the blinds closed and this is usually the case since people can walk in front of your windows. Also the windows do face the courtyard. There are rooms on the second floor (i stayed on the first floor) but I am not sure if they are brighter. The breakast is continental and included, but beware, if you order eggs or anything other than what comes with continental, you will be charged. We did order eggs one day and were charged but we stated that we were not warned and they gladly removed the charge off the bill. This hotel is about 3 blocks from the main arch and a couple more blocks from the square. I thought it was a good location and I always felt safe. All in all, it was a great cheap clean hotel and I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Lo De Bernal? Share your experiences!