“Hotel Dona Luisa was comfortable but not great” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Posada Dona Luisa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7a Ave Norte No. 4, Antigua 03001, Guatemala   |
Ranked #50 of 76 Hotels in Antigua
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
“Hotel Dona Luisa was comfortable but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

We spent two nights at the Hotel Posada Dona Luisa and found it acceptable, but not great. The rooms were large and clean. We stayed on the second floor, which was reached by a circular stairway. Not handicapped accessible. The staff spoke a little English, but not much. The location is great, just a block and a half from the central park. It was quiet at night and we felt very safe.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Port Orchard, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

We chose Posada Doña Luisa from looking over Trip Advisor reviews. This was a good choice for us. Our vacation started by arriving late on the 23rd before Christmas. We had a beautiful room overlooking the courtyard on the ground floor. The staff kept the hotel spotless, and were always very welcoming towards us. The location was in the heart of everything, and yet pleasantly quiet...until midnight on Christmas Eve. At the stroke of midnight the town erupted in fireworks. We enjoyed the show from the second floor balcony where we could hear plenty, and enjoy fireworks over the ruins next door. This was the perfect mid priced hotel for us.

Room Tip: Any of the 8 rooms would be perfect.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

I stayed Hotel Posada Dona Luisa for my business trip in 2011 December. This was my first trip to Antigua and my coworkers recommended to stay there. It was really nice and I was really happy to stay! Hotel is small but once you enter the door, the inside has open space for tables and chairs, lots of plants, and sunny atmosphere. The hotel staffs maintain everything very clean, your rooms, kitchen, etc. (and I was really surprised that, one of lady who is in charge cleaning, she worked like non-stop. she works hard but very friendly)
And, the good part of staying in Hotel Pasada Dona Luisa is the hotel stuffs are very friendly and helpful! I don't speak much Spanish but they showed that they were trying to understand my body languages, poor spanish and drawings. I will definitely come back to stay for my next Antigua trip! Aloha

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
California 2 San Miguel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

I had the pleasure to stay for two weeks in this lovely and warm hotel. Doña Luisa is centrally located (only 2 blocks from the Central Park), close to great restaurants, shopping and best of all, for me: only a few blocks from the Spanish School I attended.

I am always greeted by name, and treated so well, you would think my mom worked here. There are only 8 rooms, and a common kitchen: which makes staying a longer time in Antigua more comfy and affordable. I wanted a little more than a hostel: cleaner, no shared rooms or baths, and be very comfortable to "live" here for two weeks.

Room Tip: The upper floors have beautiful views of the Agua volcano and top of the church ruins on the corner...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Guatemala City, Guatemala
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

I stayed here for a week and I'm so glad I chose this hotel! I was looking for somewhere quiet and relaxed! I found it. The views are simply breathtaking, a backdrop of Volcan Agua with an old church in front. Everyone here at this hotel is so nice aswell, making your time here even more special! Orfa, who runs reception is simply willing to do anything to make your stay pleasurable, and Dona Aura is always making sure the place look spotless! Even the night guard holds you up for a friendly chat! A kitchen makes it super economical to stay more than a few days. The hotel is about 2 blocks from the park. Thanks everybody for making my time in Antigua so nice!

Room Tip: The rooms upstairs have really nice views!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011 via mobile

We stayed here based on the reviews we read in Trip Advisor & are glad we did. The driver was at the airport in Guatemala City waiting for us when we arrived at 10:30 pm, & was very courteous. The beds were comfortable. The entire place was immaculate thanks to the hardworking & ever cheerful housekeeper who greeted us each
Morning with "buenos dias". We felt very safe, & as others have said, the location could not have been more convenient. A swimming pool is available for patrons use at nearby hotel for a fee of $5 per person. Our only problems? 1-We had trouble getting hot water from the shower, & the staff responded immediately when we brought it to their attention. The water was then tolerably warm, though not hot. 2- If you're staying on a Saturday night, bring earplugs. The bar next door had live music that played till midnight-with the earplugs we were able to sleep thru it.
Another plus, especially for the budget-conscious, a small kitchen is available just off the courtyard--it has a stove, a microwave, and refrigerator. I would happily return to this hotel in the future!

• Stayed August 2011
The Dalles, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

We had breakfast at Doña Luisa our last morning in Antigua and it was the perfect choice. They draw you in with the wonderful smells emanating from the onsite bakery, plus the courtyard setting is classic and lovely. The breakfast we chose was french toast made with cinnamon bread served with syrup and/or honey; we added some of their delicious house made yogurt. The prices were reasonable and we bought a loaf of their delicious wheat bread on the way out the door. Highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Posada Dona Luisa? Share your experiences!