“Amazing, cozy, boutique home away from home” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Casa Concepcion
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Callejon del Hermano Pedro #2, Antigua, Guatemala   |
Ranked #53 of 76 hotels in Antigua
San Francisco, CA
“Amazing, cozy, boutique home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

I absolutely loved the three nights I spent at Casa Concepcion -- I stopped by here on a two-week long trip through Central America and it was the perfect resting spot between some pretty hefty adventures. My room was thoughtfully decorated with fresh cala lilies and local handmade shampoo and soap, and the manager Julio -- who used to be a chef in San Francisco -- made us breakfast (choice of eggs + beans + plantains, granola + yogurt + honey, or pancakes) every morning. There's a gorgeous courtyard with a hammock that was perfect for chillaxing after a night out on the lovely town of Antigua. Highly recommended!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

30 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

The first thing I noticed with the B&B was the attention to details, everything was so well decorated ranging from the rooms, the garden to the common areas. The bathrooms and the rooms were spacious and clean. The manager, Julio, was fantastic. He lived in San Fran for 10+ year, so he had a good understanding of what we wanted and was a very helpful resource. In fact, he helped organize a surprise horse carriage ride for my wife. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

Casa Concepcion is the choice for a place to stay in Antigua. The 5 bedroom B&B is adorable and a fantastic value for money - our room (I think #2) was super comfortable and had an awesome, HUGE bathroom! The staff is friendly and accommodating, and all spaces are tastefully decorated and immaculate. Breakfast is delicious and takes place in a small outdoor courtyard with a fountain. Casa Concepcion is a short walk from Antigua's main square, and is convenient for all Antigua activities.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

Casa Concepcion is the perfect place to stay and made our trip to Antigua incredible!!! It has a private entrance into a beautifully decorated garden, with about 6 rooms each with their own bathroom. Our group took up the upstairs 4 bedrooms, each fully equipped and with all the amenities of a large hotel, but with a lot more charm! The bathrooms were very spacious and each came with jacuzzi. Julio, the manager, made us a delcious breakfast every morning (especially the homemade juices - which are amazing!), and helped us with any travel needs or questions we had. There is a common area with couches and fireplace to relax or congregate your group before going out. The entire B&B is so well decorated and you can tell the managers put a lot of attention into the details of this place. I would highly recommend this place for anyone looking for a place that feels like home even when you are on vacation. I will definitely stay here on my next trip!

Room Tip: They have rooms for couples or individuals. The one we stayed in was Room 1 (comes with 1 king size...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

I stayed in Antigua for 2 weeks and stayed at this B&B for the first 4 nights, it is located off one of the main roads down a dark street on the very end of what the call the quad (the safe areas to walk at night) this means it's quite a long walk to the main square where people congregate...I honestly felt uncomfortable walking so far at night. The pictures you see are far better than the place itself....the rooms are tiny and I got eaten alive by who knows what at night. I paid for the suite and was given the cheapest room in the place, I pointed this out to the manager who was leaving the next day and he blamed it on expedia until I showed him my copy clearly stating a suite at $160 a night incl taxes (which by the way is waaaay to much for this place compared to my next Hotel the Aurora for $60 a night, I could've kicked myself when I started asking around at other hotels as most of them were much cheaper) and paid me a refund of the balance for the night and said I could move into the suite the following night, which I did...only to be woken up by music until the wee hours ( this place is behind a rockin sushi place). So yet again the next night I moved to the other suite which is tiny with a weird set up for the bath tub where you have to climb into the tub and lean under the shower to turn it on. Luckily I had the pick of rooms as everyone else had left...it seemed most people check in and out the next day. The manager spoke English but that didn't help me as he left the next day for the US...not that he went out of his way to help anyway...I got a black and white copy of a map put together by another hotel. I have to say I feel bad writing a poor review as the staff that make breakfast and clean house are soooo sweet and friendly but as a world traveller (I am writing this from Costa Rica) I have to be honest to my fellow travelers as I never never stay anywhere without reading the reviews on Tripadvisor. I know my review is contrary to all the other reviews but I am writing this review in all honesty.

Room Tip: Suite # 1 is the best of the worst
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Guatemala
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

The hotel itself is very cute, has comfy beds and very clean bathrooms. The living area and patio are lovely, and if we had stayed longer (only one night!) we might have used them more.

Service was great-- the managers are very friendly and accommodating. Breakfast was good-- I had a "typical" omelette with beans on the side, and my mom had granola, fruit, and homemade yogurt.

The only real complaint (not from me, but from my mom) was that it is rather noisy at night and early in the morning. I slept through it, but it seems there is quite a bit of noise coming from the neighbors or the street (not sure which). The location is a bit hard to find, and the taxi driver had to stop to ask for directions.

I think we may have almost broken the shower faucet handle trying to figure it out... turns out it only *looks* like a fancy pump handle. That's just decorative. Pull straight out to turn the water on (good water pressure, nice gas-heated water).

Room Tip: The shower faucet handle looks fancy, but it's not. Just pull straight out.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Panama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

Staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms are small and cozy but humid, watch out if you are allergic.
Breakfast is included and choice of fruit, pancakes or typical (eggs and refried beans with tortilla) was good.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Casa Concepcion? Share your experiences!