“Great food!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 17 restaurants in Ada
Michigan
“Great food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

Excellent food and great value. A gem in the village of Ada. The lamb shank is tender and huge portion. The variety plate is big enough for two people.

• Visited August 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

94% Recommend
Grandville, Michigan
“A slice of Turkey on a plate!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

My husband and I try to get here once a year because we enjoy ethnic food and this place offers you one fine slice of Turkey on a plate! The wonderful aroma of Mediterranean spices greets you at the door of this small eatery, and the dark wood, low lights and brightly colored pillows make for a cozy setting. If it had not been raining, we may have chosen to eat outdoors on the patio. There is a bar against the back wall with one TV set (quietly showing Wheel of Fortune in Turkish!) Regulars were warmly greeted and the cook came out and chatted with a few. We arrived at 6:30 pm and were seated upon entering and had attentive service throughout our meal.

The menu boasts a wide range of wines, appetizers, entrees and desserts. I couldn't decide what to have so I ordered a Taste of Turkey dinner which included a generous portion of a variety of meat--lamb, chicken, gyro-type meat, and a ground lamb/beef mixture called adana--rice, and their unusual coleslaw for $20. The lamb and chicken were off of a kabob and they were wonderful--big chunks that were marinated and grilled perfectly, very moist with incredible flavor. The gyro meat tasted average while the adana meat was a bit spicier and also somewhat saltier. I'm not a big rice fan but here it is large grained, moist and lightly seasoned so it compliments the more intense items well. The slaw was crunchy fresh and the dressing had a unique flavor. My husband liked it more than I did. Warm pita bread is served with the meal. My husband finished his meal but I took enough home for lunch for the following day. We shared a piece of excellent baklava for dessert--flaky layers, ample crushed nuts and a not-too-sweet syrup.

If you've never tried Turkish food before, then I'd recommend getting the appetizer sampler and the Taste of Turkey platter to split between 2-3 people. And don't forget the baklava!

• Visited September 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Awesome food, horrible service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011 via mobile

Really delicious, but the service is PAINFUL. They can't handle a full restaurant at lunch time. Excellent kebab, baclava, and ok falafel (I have had better elsewhere).

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Michigan
“Great food in a cozy atmosphere, but service could have been a little friendlier.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2010

I'm really not sure what I was expecting, but Zeytin is a surprisingly nice little restaurant for being in a fairly unassuming strip mall. The decor is tasteful, a full bar is available, and there is outdoor seating when weather permits. My dining companion and I were seated promptly when we arrived, but our server was somewhat slow and disinterested for most of the time we were there, despite the restaurant not being busy.

The menu has a lot Mediterranean-style dishes with kebabs, grilled meats, and a couple shrimp and vegetarian entrees. There's also a nice selection of lamb dishes. Our spinach and artichoke appetizer was quite good, but the kebabs were what made it worth the wait. The lamb kebab was flavorful and, texture-wise, some of the most tender grilled lamb I've ever had. The adana kebab (ground beef/lamb/red bell pepper kebab) was awesome, with delicious seasoning and a meat mixture with a good lamb/beef ratio. Overall, the service could have been better, but food here is definitely worth returning for.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Victor, New York
“Chicken Kabobs were very good. Baklava was very, very good. The service, as I've read on some other reviews, wasn't...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2010

Chicken Kabobs were very good. Baklava was very, very good. The service, as I've read on some other reviews, wasn't very good. We were basically kicked out on a Friday night at 10:30, and I found their bartender to be rude to start off the evening. Our waiter was fine, but never refilled the water glasses, again, an attempt to get us out. What happened to encouraging a good experience? Oh well, I would go back for the food...but not until I try another dozen or so GR restaurants on my list.