“What a relaxing get-away” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Traverse Resort and Spa

You added Grand Traverse Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Grand Traverse Resort and Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   100 Grand Traverse Village Blvd., PO Box 404, Acme, MI 49610   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Acme
Grand Rapids MI
“What a relaxing get-away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2009

Our stay at the Grand Traverse Resort was just what we needed - a nice get-away with no need to go anywhere else if we didn't want to. The room was beautiful - we requested a high level room in the towers and the view with all the fall colors was amazing. The king size bed was oh so comfortable and I didn't regret having not brought my own pillow. We ate lunch at Jack's Sports bar located in the resort. The food was average and the service was okay. The Lobby Bar was a nice place to relax. Norm, the bartender was fun to talk to and very knowledgeable about the area hot spots - best wineries, restaurants, etc. Plus he makes a killer margarita. We went up stairs to the Aerie restaurant an opted to share a couple of appetizers and cold beer from local breweries - all delicious. Excellent service.
The staff was exceptionally pleasant, friendly and professional. The one issue that irritated me was the stupid Resort Fee charge of $9.95 for use of the hotel amenities; pool, internet service, fitness center - none of which we even used. I felt the charge of the room itself, which was over $200 (plus all the taxes) should cover such things. And if they insist on charging for it then it should just be included in the room price. I did complain at check out but was simply told that it was "hotel policy".
Be sure and stay in the tower section of the hotel and request a high level floor for the best view. It was all-in-all a wonderful place to stay. I'm sure we will visit again at some point however it may not be our first choice when staying in the TC area, It is a drive to downtown TC but a nice scenic drive up Old Mission Peninsula and some fun wineries.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

The bed linens were very wrinkled and the comforter (bed cover) was very lumpy and looked as though it should have been replaced long before our stay. When we tried to check in early (11:45am) we were told to come back in 1/2 hour or so only to check back and be told our room wasn't ready and it would be awhile. I guess it was the tone of the front desk person that bothered me the most. I understand it was early for check in but had they said in the beginning it would be a couple of hours I wouldn't have had a problem with that. We were also told at the Turtle Creek Casino that we would receive a discount at the hotel and when we asked about it the gentleman was rather short with us and said we were already on an internet rate so that was our discount. If I were to go back to Traverse City I would probably not choose the Grand Traverse with all the other choices available.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
St. Joseph, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

I stayed at the resort for the Michigan Association of REALTORS convention. Colleen, who works in group sales for the Resort, did a great job getting everything planned and set-up for the convention. Food was awesome from room service to the appetizers served on the convention floor. We had a very nice dinner on the 17th floor, service was slow but the food was worth the wait. I golfed in a scramble and while it was cold, it was a great experience, and awesome views. Our guest room was large with a nice view of the bay and golf course, huge bathroom. The conference rooms were large enough to spread out but still cozy enough to hear every speaker. My wife and son came along too and said the pools were a great way to spend the day. We plan will be back for a family vacation sometime soon.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
fort gratiot, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

OK, so the resort was beautiful and well positioned. Truly, if you get a "lake view" room that is not in the expensive "Tower", You really wont be able to see much of the lake at all. However, the concierge was helpful and the lobby was beautiful. Awesome breakfast buffet. It looked upscale and not shoddy, but was reasonably priced. Traverse City is extremely pretentious, but the tourist opportunities within an hour are amazing. See Sleeping Bear Dunes and the General Store on Old Mission Peninsula. Wineries, wineries. Dont waste your time with Fish Town. I am tired of kitchy stores selling touristy garbage, so the Resort was awesome. We hung out there and swam and soaked and even got a rare "couples' massage". Special Note: It cost me and my wife $265.00 for an hour massage together! It was a truly spectacular experience; eucalyptis soaked towels for the face and neck, teas and cofees and robes and a fireplace while waiting. everything this country boy usually avoids. It was AWESOME, a truly profesional and effective massage, not just a hotel amenity, but I'll never pay that for a massage again. Grand traverse was great. bring a Tennis racket for the indoor courts.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

Our first stay at this resort. We went wine tasting on Saturday and did some golf/spa fun on Sunday. The hotel was on the other side of town from most of the vineyards. There are not very many dining options around the hotel but there are a few inside the hotel. They all just seemed to be ok.

michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2009

Want to charge you $3 for a bottle of water if you drink it, most nice places, bottles in room for free. No in rrom coffee pot, so you have to go buy cups. Small bathroom with VERY cheap shampoo,etc.. I stay at alot of hotels, was my first and last visit here for sure.

Detroit
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

If you are looking for a place to go and spend lots of money at a brand new casino, get a $100 massage or a $60 pedicure or an expensive golf game, this is the place for you. However, if you are just going to have a nice relaxing place to stay, I suggest staying someplace else.

I didnt realize just how far away from the "action" (what little action there is) in Traverse City. I also didnt realize that such a luxurious hotel would have less than basic quality standards for things like the bed, pillows, and even coffee.

The hotel is beautiful, you walk in and are instantly impressed by the size, the marble, the beautiful fireplace, the gorgeous waterfall, but sadly, that is where your buck stops. The pillows in the room are hard as a rock. The bed was saggy and uneven, and left me with a very sore back. The pool was basic, and not as "exciting" for kids as it would seem on the website.

We got popcorn one night at the Jack's sportsbar. Its only $1 a bag, so no big woop. The bag is the size of a zip-lock sandwich bag, maybe smaller. I wanted 2 bags. The waitress filled one 3/4 of the way, and scraped the bottom of the popper to fill the other bag 1/2 way. She charged me full price even though with a majority of kernels the actual popped popcorn would only fill one bag.

LIke I said, if you are looking for a nice exterior and dont care about standard hotel quality, then stay here. However, if you want a nice clean place to lay your head and have a romantic weekend away with your husband, then find someplace else.

As for the "free" internet, "free" pool, "discounted" golf, you are paying an additional fee on top of your room rate to have these "free" amenities. Just pay attention to what you are paying for before you book your room! You arent paying for a quality room, just the other bells and whistles!!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Traverse Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!