“Pleasantly surprised; happy customers” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night
New Rochelle, NY
“Pleasantly surprised; happy customers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

I feel compelled to write a review because I think the Rose & Crown deserves a little more credit than it's gotten in some of these TA reviews. First of all, this is a pub and it does not pretend to be anything other than that. If you are expecting gourmet cuisine, there are more than enough restaurants on Nantucket from which to choose. What we wanted was a restaurant that offered decent vegetarian dishes and kid-friendly meals - and the Rose & Crown offered more than many of the other restaurants in town. We were seated immediately and were promptly greeted by a very friendly and helpful waitress who remained attentive throughout our meal. Other TA reviewers complained about the service but, I assure you, this was one of the more positive aspects of our experience here. As for the food, my husband loved his burger with blue cheese - they cooked it exactly as he asked. He had also enquired about the clam chowder, as he prefers Manhattan to New England. Our waitress assured him it was one of the best chowders she's had - and that she wasn't just saying it. She even offered him a cup-sized portion although the menu only cited a bowl (and charged him accordingly). My husband isn't a fan of creamy soups but he thought it was really good and tasty. I ordered the grilled vegetable wrap with hummus and a pesto aioli. It was decent enough, though nothing memorable. We did order the Chef's Fries appetizer (made in garlic oil and topped with Parmesan). That was a hit with everyone. Our kids (we only had our 9 and 11 year old with us; our 13 year old was not) just ordered the pasta with garlic bread off the kid's menu and an appetizer of mozzarella sticks. It was basic, but they enjoyed it well enough. As for the music, there was a 3-piece blues band playing. We didn't find them loud at all and actually quite enjoyed them. Not sure how they differ from other bands that have played at the Rose & Crown that caused other diners to complain about the noise. If you just go expecting a decent meal and understanding that you are eating in a venue that is also a bar, plays sporting events on big screens and has live music, you will have a perfectly pleasant experience and shouldn't be disappointed. If you go expecting fine dining and gourmet cuisine, you will be disappointed. It's that simple.

New London, Connecticut
“Awesome local great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

This i a place you go if you want to local with mingles and tourists alike. Everyone knows you and will have your drink ready when you get there. Make sure to get Mike as your bartender. He isnt seasonal help, he lives on the island with his husband Kirk and is very knowledgable about the island and provides great suggetion for beaches, fine dinning locations, and many many more suggestions. They are a family at that place you can tell, they may not be related, but they are a family and they make you feel like part of it as well.

Visited August 2014
Nantucket, Massachusetts
“Disrespectful staff and restaurant”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

I normally don't publish reviews, but my experience here was horrible enough I was pushed to share. I have never encountered more condescending, rude bar tenders in my life. The wait was horrible, the servers clearly didn't want to be there, and when I asked if the music could be turned down just a notch I was treated to the most rude and disrespectful tirade about stopping people from "having fun." All I asked was for the music to be a notch more quiet - not turned off. I was then summarily rushed out.

There are bed and breakfasts a few blocks away from this bar that are regularly treated to blaring bass music as well - this place has no regard or respect for their customers or their community. DO NOT GIVE THEM BUSINESS.

• Visited July 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Stowe, Pennsylvania
“Good prices and friendly atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We ate here twice on our trip to Nantucket last fall. The food was very good and so was the chowdah! It was always full of people. Not far from ferry dock.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
long island, ny
“Not Bad...But Nothing Noteworthy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

First let me say that this is NOT a bad place to eat at all....it's just "blahhh" in my opinion. Definitely a pub atmosphere, open floor plan (the front part of the dining area remains open to the brick sidewalk which means plenty of light, interaction with the neighborhood happenings, but also plenty of flies (the latter of which can be excruciatingly annoying). My husband ordered the clam fritters and seafood pasta, my oldest daughter (21 yrs) ordered the Artichoke and Clam Dip daily special with a Caesar Salad, my youngest (18 yrs) ordered some kind of Asian Pork Sandwich (which she LOVED) and I ordered the Summer Salad (spectacular!!) and Fish and Chips. We also ordered an extra serving of the Cheesy Garlic Bread we heard so much about. Overall we thought the food was okay; nothing bad, nothing spectacular, just okay, but a nice change from the pricey, fancier fare that prevails on the island. I will say though that the Summer Salad with greens, carrots, strawberries and blueberries was absolutely amazing, I could live on that for the rest of the week! (See my photos here on Tripadvisor). The staff is extremely friendly and the service was quick. Bring your own bottled water if you don't like tap...our waitress was able to scrounge around and find two bottles for us but she said they normally do not carry bottled water. The above menu plus 2 Shirley Temples, a Diet Coke and a beer costs us around $133...which believe it or not is the cheapest meal we've had so far. Overall I like this place but would return only to have the summer salad. It's worth the trip just to have that dish!

• Visited July 2014