“Luxurious hotel on a most amazing island” 5 of 5 stars

White Elephant
50 Easton Street, PO Box 2580, Nantucket, MA 02554   |
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Nantucket
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
“Luxurious hotel on a most amazing island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at the White Elephant hotel at the beginning of the summer season in 2009... the Nantucket Film Festival was going on, and the island was just gearing up for the busy season. Unfortunately, we planned our visit during the long stretch of rainy weather, but it did add to the ambiance of the historic whaling village.
Our stay started off on the wrong foot when we jumped on a freight ferry (instead of waiting 2 plus hours to make the higher priced fast ferry) and arrived on the island only to see the White Elephant shuttle van taking off. When we asked for a ride, we were told a van would return in "2 minutes;" 10 minutes later, we were still standing in the wind and rain. We had waved away taxi's believing our ride to be by any minute... so we walked (which thankfully was a short walk, but not especially fun in the rain, pulling suitcases over the 'charming' cobblestone walkways.) One of the suitcases' wheels broke off due to the stress, but I suppose I should be writing the manufacturer and not TripAdvisor about that :)
Other than that, our stay was simply wonderful. We had chocolate covered strawberries awaiting us as it was our anniversary. The room was beautiful and thought we booked a 'non-harbor view' room, we did have a side view of the water off of our balcony. The beds are to die for, the turn down service is a nice touch, and the port and cheese service in the cozy library tides one over nicely between lunch and dinner.
We did not eat in Brandt Point Grill persay, but did have drinks there in the evening a few times and enjoyed the live piano player and band. We also sampled some delicious raw oysters. Nice atmosphere all together.
Our first night there, soaked to the bone and chilled from the whipping wind, I wanted nothing more than to soak in a hot bath in the sparkling clean tub (and I have very high standards for bathing in hotel tubs!) This was after drinks and such, and at 11:00 at night we discovered our drain stop was not functioning. We called down and had someone up to fix it withing 15 minutes... much appreciated!
The sun decided to come out on the day of our departure, so on a whim we called the front desk and asked if we could prolong our stay another night at the discounted 'Hot Dates Cool Rates' rate we had booked with. It did take almost 2 hours to get an answer, but in the end we did get to stay in our beautiful suite and enjoyed a day biking the island; they even stored our bikes overnight!
The location is great; close enough to town to walk in, but far enough removed to be quiet and quaint. This is especially a plus because cars are discouraged on the island, and rightfully so.
Would I reccomment this hotel to a friend? You bet. I've actually booked a room in May to take my mother over Mother's Day weekend; we will be taking advantage of the spa credit! Spoil yourself and stay at the White Elephant!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Waterford, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

Beautiful room, loved the white robes, pleasent room service, fair price, lovely view, and just really classy.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2009

Everything was amazing. Every luxury you could ever dream of is at your disposal at The White Elephant.

The service is wonderful. On the day we planned to leave, we found out that due to high winds, no boats would be leaving the island that day and we found ourselves in need of a place to stay. The White Elephant staff was kind and friendly and put us up for a second night in a nicer more luxurious room for the same rate we had paid the night before.

I have never stayed in hotel as lovely as this. For all of its 5 star ammenities, it was still friendly, casual and utterly refined. I loved every moment and was heartbroken to leave.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Kansas City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2009

My recent trip to Nantucket was an amazing experience. We stayed just shy of a week in one of cottages of The White Elephant. Upon entering the door of the hotel to check in I completely forgot I was a"tourist". The front of the hotel was decorated so beautifully. The staff treated us very warmly and made me feel as though I had been on the island for months. Everyone (front desk employees, drivers, housekeepers, restaurant employees, and so on) greeted us and all of our needs were met perfectly. It was nice to see the same faces on a daily basis. It gave me more of a feeling that I was staying with people I knew. (When we were standing in line for the ferry getting ready to leave the island, the shuttle driver saw us and made it a point to wave goodbye and wish us a safe trip home!)

The cottage itself made me feel as though I had my own little place on Nantucket. It was so clean and the bed (with a fluffy feather comforter with the biggest feather pillows) was the most comfortable thing I have ever slept in. It was high class all the way - including chocolate on your bed with your nightly turn down service.

We ate at the Brant Point Grill several times and the food was the most amazing thing I have ever eaten. I have not been able to enjoy one thing I have eaten since leaving because nothing compares to the food you will find on the island. The staff at the restaurant was wonderful and friendly. The wine list was extensive and the food choices were mouth watering (I settled on the Lobster Ravioli and the Calamari was the best I have ever had!). And the desserts were delicious - I HIGHLY recommend the Nantucket Cream Pie. There are a lot of great places to eat on the island but The Brant Point Grill was my favorite - hands down!

Nantucket was the most amazing place I have ever been and I cannot wait to go back again next year. I have already started planning my next trip and after hearing about my time there and seeing my pictures from my stay - several friends are ready to go back with me. Without a doubt - we will stay no where other than The White Elephant.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
northshore massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

My husband and I enjoyed an extremely romantic and relaxing long weekend at the White Elephant recently and I had to share our experience. From the moment we arrived on the island until the moment we left, we felt that our every need was not only cared for but anticipated. We were warmly greeted at the ferry and brought to an excellently staffed and stocked hospitality suite. It was especially nice to be wished a happy anniversary by Tania. After we were brought to our suite at the residences, the man that escorted us was so helpful in orienting us to our lavish surroundings. He took the extra time to explain some local eateries and how to best get around on the island. Very kind.
And what a beautiful room! Neat, clean interior, nothing over done or fussy. All the current appliances and furnishings to make a weekend easy and relaxing for a vacationing couple or family. We enjoyed luxurious baths in the claw-foot tub and some extremely restful sleep in the plush, well blanketed bed. Every night we loved the selection of pillow treats left by a very tidy and thorough turn-down service and were so happy to leisurely read the paper of our choice left for us every morning. Every detail of the room was so well cared for, down to the fresh granny smith apples used for decoration on the coffee table!
Our particular house was perfectly located to never require any mode of transportation other than our own two feet. We loved getting to walk to all the best eateries on the island, of particular merit were the Brant Point Grille and Lola 41. Such wonderful meals at both locations, I am saddened to think that they are so far away now that we are home!
All in all, this weekend was the perfect get away for my husband and I. We needed a nice, quiet way to reconnect with each other and shed the hustle and bustle of our home-life. We were so well cared for by the hotel that I didn't want to leave!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

White Elephant is THE place to stay on Nantucket! Any need any guest could possibly have is anticipated, accomodated and always offered before one can even ask! Truly a Wonderful experience and Everything was Exceptional from check-in to out whether it was the Extensive menu, wine list & bar(s) at their Brant Point Grill, gift shop, Library with impressive cheeses, gourmet crackers & wines complete w/ fireplace on a cool rainy day to the perfect seafood in the main dining area oceanside with hardwood floors and even heaters overhead when needed. Their Fall Vegetable Pasta is to die for and their seafood & steaks supreme! Besides the comfortable, elegant yet cozy , beautifully decorated rooms in their main hotel guest area and cottages (with linens of highest thread count ever!)....One cannot say enough about the service with a genuine happy you are here smile from everyone...Managers, servers & bartenders, chefs, housekeeping, valets, you just couldn't possibly be treated any better anywhere else. It bears repeating ....The White Elephant is THE place to stay on Nantucket!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
cape town
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

we went to nantucket island for 2 weeks. we stayed at the white elephant hotel for 3 nights than moved over to the cottages for the remainder of the stay. I loved it. the accomodation was fatastastic. The staff and management was very helpfull and are doing an excellent job. I also really enjoyed the complimentary coffe, pastry and the cheese and wine. the brant point grill was also amazing. I would definately recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to White Elephant? Share your experiences!