“Century House is an elegant home away from home” 5 of 5 stars

Century House
10 Cliff Road, P.O. Box 603, Nantucket, MA 02554   |
Ranked #6 of 40 Nantucket B&B and Inns
Newton, Massachusetts
“Century House is an elegant home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2010

The innkeepers have transformed an elegant Nantucket home into a never to forget bed and breafast. The location is perfect and with walkable distance to downtown. Breakfasts are both sumptuous and healthy. Nantucket Harbor is visible and Cliff road is filled with classic Nantucket homes and the perfect road for walking or a run. I have been threre for three straight seasons and always look forward to returning.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
boston, Ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

Three consecutive years at the luxurious Century House in Nantucket, and three years of incredible vacations. Nantucket is one of the world's prime vacation destinations, and to make certain you maximize this opportunity, make your reservations now at The Century House. It doesn't get any better!

Long Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

My husband, Tom and I stayed at the CH the last week of the summer for four nights. We had an airline glitch and it rained for two and a half days. Jean literally bent over backwards to help us and make us feel welcome. The Inn is beautiful. They are so nice. The service was pristine. Our room was a little small, but gorgeous and that was the one we picked! We are saving for a bigger room and another great vacation next year. Two thumbs up for the Century House!

Lexington, Ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

We just had a great four days in Nantucket. September is a great month for Nantucket. The weather was beautiful. The Century House is a charming and luxurious place to stay. It is pristine. It's so clean I tried to look for dirt & couldn't find any. Everything is in top shape. Although the inn is old, our bathroom was like new with marble tile and new fixtures. The bed was luxurious, triple sheeted, plenty of pillows. The beauty & charm of the old Nantucket, but modern where you need it. Beautiful rugs everywhere. Plenty of lamps in the room, so you can read in bed and see at the desk....
A great breakfast buffet is served with fresh fruit, oatmeal, cereal, muffins, bread...which avoids the trek out to a restaurant. There is always ice, soda, and such out in several spots along with mints, cookies in the afternoon, just like being home. There's also a lovely wrap around veranda with table & chairs, including rocking chairs. Computers & refrigerators are available... beach towels... A cozy living room where you can sit & visit with others if you wish, including the hosts, Jean & Jerry, always charming. I can't think of anything they were missing.
It's in a great location, just a little down the road from the center of town so it's quiet, but only a short walk to the shops & restaurants.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

I've just read the review posted by "DrTravelerJohn" and I'm honestly shocked, my personal experience at the Century House was the total opposite of his.

My husband and I stayed at the Century House just before Labor Day and we had a wonderful time. The Inn Keepers Jean E. & Gerry were very kind and helpful. Gerry is a bit of a know-it-all but he's harmless. The House is beautifully decorated, clean, bright and in great shape (especially when you consider the fact that it really is about a century old).
The daily breakfast was great, fresh berries granola, homeade oatmeal and an assortment of baked goods and breads. Prior to our trip I thought I'd miss eggs & bacon, but I didn't and I truly looked forward to their hearty & wholesome breakfast each day! The freshly baked cookies every afternoon were pretty good too.

As far as DrTravelerJohn's comment about vermin and rodents, I have NO IDEA what he's talking about. I'm awfully afraid of bugs and rodents so I always keep an eye out for them, we stayed there for five days and I never even saw an ant!!

We stayed in the Daylily room. It was small but had two windows, a sitting area, a seperate bathroom and a patio of it's own so I never felt cramped. The rooms are overpriced, but everything on Nantucket is overpriced. An ice-cream cone is $8 for goodness sakes :-)
The house is just about a seven minute walk from town and a 10-15 minute walk away from Jetties & Steps Beach. It's a great place to stay if you'd like a quiet, peaceful getaway.

RI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

My husband and I spent three nights at the Century House celebrating our tenth anniversary. Gerry and Jean E were fabulous and interesting hosts providing us great local advice, wonderful breakfasts and some very special touches that made our anniversary a special one to remember.

The location, while being very close to all the action in town and beach shuttle to Madaket, was blissfully peaceful at night. The beds and linens are super comfortable. We had a very quaint room, "Sweet Pea" with a separate entrance off the lovely porch. Equipped with rockers, table and chairs, books and drinks with fresh lemons and limes (did I mention fresh baked cookies daily?) , the porch was a welcome "addition" to our room for most of our stay.

The room was "cozy" with a tiny bath, but beautifully decorated. Because the weather was absolutely perfect, we did not spend much time in our room, so its size was not a problem for us. If space is a priority for you, you may want to consider one of the "deluxe" rooms.

Dinners at the Straight Wharf Restaurant, Madaket Millie's and American Seasons were all unbelievably good. Drinks at the Cliffside beachfront bar were lovely. We would recommend the walking tour of Siasconset, a trip to the Cisco Brewery and scooter rentals in addition to enjoying the beach.

Thanks Jean and Gerry for a weekend to remember. We hope to be back!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

My fiance and I had had a wonderful time at Century House. They are great at all the tiny details that make a stay memorable. Great breakfast, afternoon snacks, cleanliness, charming ambience. We did a lot price shopping before we booked and found Century House to be competitive in the very expensive/exclusive market. We stayed in two rooms over three nights because the room we wanted wasn't available three nights in a row. The first room was very charming but small, which is my only criticism. The second room "snap dragon" was great, very spacious and lovely. Location is great. We really appreciated the quiet at night.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Century House? Share your experiences!