“Exceeded all expectations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Centerboard Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nantucket
Centerboard Inn
You added Centerboard Inn to your Saves list
8 Chester Steet, Nantucket, MA 02554   |
Ranked #2 of 40 Nantucket B&B and Inns
Austin
“Exceeded all expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2009

I'll make this short and sweet, just like our stay in Nantucket. From our initial greeting to the breakfast to the recommendations for dining and leisure, we could not have asked for a better host in James Blunt.

The Centerboard is a well appointed, clean, classic Nantucket guest house in a perfect location near downtown but just far away enough to feel private.

Having stayed at some of the other top B&B's on the island, this one has become my favorite. A personal touch goes a long way.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
lboogs311
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

My family and I have started a tradition (this was our 6th year) of going to Nantucket for the Daffodil Festival every year. This is our sixth year and each time, we have stayed at the Centerboard. We rent the Boathouse room and the other room downstairs and absolutely love it. We have our own private enterance and even a kitchen to cook if we so please. The inn is quiet, clean and in the perfect location. We can walk right into the center of town. James, the inn keeper is wonderful. The breakfast is delish-I just couldn't imagine ever staying anywhere else. We continue to have our annual family getaway and will continue to stay at the Centerboard.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2009

The Centerboard Inn is charming. I loved the quite rooms and views of the old shingle houses and cobblestone streets. The Inn Keeper, James always had freshly roasted coffee ready for us in the early morning and gave us maps and suggestions for our daily tours around town. I recommend renting a jeep (ask James) In fact James makes you feel right at home and he's known for his home made granola! The location was within walking distance of the Whaling museum and all of the center of town attractions. You will love this charming experience!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
cape cod, ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

The charming Inn Keeper, James, makes his own signature coffee by roasting his own beans- absolutely a wonderful morning treat in the beautiful sun room. The Inn is an antique, gorgeous architecture. The guest rooms are cozy & comfortable and well appointed (have stayed in 3 different rooms) Love the location as walking distance to town & beaches, a great B&B experience!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Boston, Ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2009

Dear Centerboard B & B,
I wanted to extend a huge heart felt thank you for a wonderful experience at your Bed And Breakfast. I have traveled the USA (everywhere except the northwest, Alaska and Hawaii) and have stayed at many B & B's along the way! I have never written a review for any of them. However, my experience was truly so wonderful, I have taken the time out of my extremely busy schedule to write this review to share with others what a top notch B & B Centerboard is!

Upon entering this beautiful House, I first noted the cleanliness which is clearly present everywhere. That is always the most important aspect of any place of which I stay. My host, James, was extremely welcoming and accommodating. I was not too familiar with Nantucket and his assistance with maps and directions was most helpful. His knowledge of the island, including the history of Nantucket, is very impressive. Thank you James for helping to make my stay even better with your local recommendations as they were extremely helpful!

I stayed in room # 5. My room was beautifully decorated, with a beautiful comforter, lavender flowered sheets and the most comfy pillows I have ever rested my head on. I love a good hot shower, and that is exactly what I got. The soap, shampoo and towels were abundantly supplied. The hair dryer was very powerful for its size and over all, this is one of my favorite rooms to stay in! I was able to see a few of the other rooms, including the master suite, and was very impressed with the decor of all of these as well. Very nicely done!

As for the morning breakfast, I was greeted with freshly baked bread, granola, strawberries, yogurt, and more. It was all delicious! The coffee, which is freshly roasted by the host himself, is awesome! A great way to start the morning!

Over all, I would recommend this bed and breakfast to anyone as it was a truly enjoyable experience! Great location (walking distance to many of the top restaurants on the island such as the Brotherhood Inn, Queequegs, and the Centre Street Bistro) and very close to main street where the center of town is located.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2009

I was not going to send this review but decided that I personally depend on Trip Advisor, it was only fair to travelers and even perhaps the Centerboard to be honest.

We just returned from a wonderful 3 days in lovely Nantucket. Crowds were down and weather great, in fact one day was summer like. The only that marred our stay was staying at the Centerboard Guest House. Before I go any further let me say, James Blunt is an outstanding host. He truly does his best to welcome all guests and make them feel at home. Our problems began on the summer like day. We were on the second floor of the inn. A sign in the bathroom warned to turn off air conditioner before using hair dryer. I can understand that. What I could not understand was where the air conditioner was. Upon calling management we were told the air conditioners were down for the season. This was just September 15th. One of the reasons for choosing this Guest House was the ad that the rooms were air conditioned. We did find out that other rooms had air conditioning but not ours. Yes, the air conditioner may have broken down and they did not want to have it fixed this late in the summer, but we were paying the same price as those with air. It would have been nice to have it reflected in our rate along with the apology.

The deluxe expanded continental breakfast with home made pastries, coffee cakes or muffins was a half slice of loaf bread and cantaloupe. Cereal and yogurt was also provided. You actually felt ill at ease eating more than one piece of anything as there was not enough for everyone. It was a very uncomfortable experience.

Our room was nice. Bathroom small but you would expect that. What we did not expect was lack of soap! There was one small bar of soap for the sink and that same bar was for the shower. Not a good experience. We did have to ask for more soap and the next day it was provided.

This is not our first time in Nantucket, but our first and last at the Centerboard Guest House. I had read all the raving reviews and wanted to stay there.

My mother always taught me not to say anything if I could not say something good. I thought twice about doing this review but know I would have wanted to know about these unnecessary inconveniences on our otherwise lovely stay in Nantucket!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Lordfarthingham, Manager at Centerboard Inn, responded to this review, March 21, 2009
First let me say how sorry I am that the guest had an unsatisfactory experience here more than 6 months ago. With such a long run of uniformly positive reviews, hers came as quite a shock to me. As the Centerboard's resident manager I do my best to ensure every guest's utmost comfort and well being. I firmly believe that if this guest had been more communicative with me while she was here I could have made things right. If she had said, "Please put the a/c back in," I would have, no further discussion. If she had wanted more of anything we offer at breakfast all she had to do was ask. As for the soap, we try to conserve where possible. The sinks have liquid soap pumps. One bar of bath/shower soap usually is sufficient for two people staying a few days, but more is the guest's for the asking, as it was in her case. At the Centerboard we are genuinely committed to excellence in hospitality. We take all guest comments to heart and try to learn from them, as we will this one. Sincerely, James Blunt.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2009

We stayed for almost two weeks during the holidays. Our room was the main suite, and it was better than expected. The house is wonderful and the inn keeper, James, is just the best. He knew how to balance hospitality and care, with an unobtrusive style. As wonderful as the beautiful old inn is, it was James that made our stay absolutely memorable. Of course Nantucket during the holidays is fantastic too!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple

Been to Centerboard Inn? Share your experiences!