“Sad condition of a once fine restaurant” 1 of 5 stars

27 Fair Street Inn
27 Fair St, Nantucket, MA 02564   |
Ranked #28 of 40 Nantucket B&B and Inns
Nantucket, Mass
“Sad condition of a once fine restaurant”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Late last summer my wife & I went to the Summer House Restaurant in 'Sconset for a leisurely lunch. As it was we couldn't wait to get out of there. The outdoor seating area was filthy, moldy and tables not cleared unless someone actually wanted to sit there. I expect to pay a lot for Lobster salad, particularly in Sconset, on Nantucket. This Lobster Salad was far from the best, perhaps what you'd expect from an inexpensive chain restaurant. We use to enjoy the Summer House....Not anymore.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
SummerHouseMgmt, Manager at 27 Fair Street Inn, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that your Summer House experience was not up to par. That you found the outdoor seating area unclean is inexcusable. I am equally as disappointed to hear that the service you received did not meet your expectations. I take your feedback seriously and will do everything in my power to ensure that these issues are addressed as soon as possible. We hope you'll consider visiting us again. Before you return, email me at manager@thesummerhouse.com so that I can see to it that your next experience is much improved.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Macungie, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We didn't actually stay here but visited for drinks since we were exploring Siasconset and the appealing beach atmosphere. However, upon entrance we were seated at a dirty table and even though the rest of the dining area was empty we we're not allowed a beach view table since we were only having drinks (we had just eaten brunch in Nantucket). Ok, fine. Our waiter didn't have a sense of urgency in taking our order, but was friendly when he finally did. We were seated next to what appeared to be the owner/manager and his company who had her feet up on the table staring down customers as they entered. We witnessed an altercation with another customer and the owner/manager who sadly, didn't handle the disgruntled woman with grace. He argued back at her and then later made derogatory remarks and profanities within earshot of other customers. If we had any intention of coming back for a future visit, that notion was quickly dispelled. While this is beautiful property, it was not very welcoming so I would seek other options if I were to return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
We are sorry that you did not have a true Summer House experience! We pride ourselves on providing our guests with impeccable service, and we are incredibly disappointed that the staff did not treat you and other guests kindly and attentively. You can be sure that we will address this issue immediately. We hope you will consider giving us another try. We can assure you that your next visit will exceed your expectations!
Greenwich, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Thank goodness my wife has a great sense of humor. A romantic weekend getaway turned into a disaster. Restaurant was filthy. Soiled seat cushions, unswept floors etc. Had to ask the staff to clean our area of dead bugs while I distracted my wife with a mid meal walk in the garden. Efforts to squeeze in too many tables left the restaurant so over crowded a set of Ken & Barbie dolls couldn't fit in to the first two tables they offred us. A loud and off key piano player made it difficult to enjoy a conversation.The food was ok but not remotely comparable to better alternatives on the isalnd. Our "suite" was on par with an easterm european youth hostle... complete with mildew, dust and aged linens. Apparently open mike night is a part of the ambiance they'd like to provide because the bar's piano man led drunken sing alongs well past 1:00am. The big close to it all; when it came time to get on with a new day and wash away the memories of a bad night, the shower handle fell off the wall in my hand. Save your money and your relationship and go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Try a room at another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
I am sorry that your stay at the Summer House was not enjoyable. I am shocked and appalled to hear that you encountered unclean seat cushions and dead bugs in the restaurant, and I'm equally disappointed to hear that your suite was not up to par. You can be sure that I will address these issues immediately. I deeply apologize that your visit to the Summer House did not meet your expectations. I hope you will consider coming back for a much improved experience. Before you arrive, please email me at manager@thesummerhouse.com so that I can personally introduce myself and host you during your visit.
Stamford, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

The room and main areas were dirty and shabby. Shuttles to Beach ran infrequently and there was no information provided by the hotel as to other island travel options. Staff came and went as they pleased. When staff was available, they were beyond rude and unhelpful. What a joke to spend over $500 a night here! This place would be lovely if only there was some proper management!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else! Check the reviews before booking!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
SummerHouseMgmt, Manager at 27 Fair Street Inn, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are very sorry that you were unsatisfied with your stay. We train our staff to provide the highest quality service, and we are very disappointed to hear that they were not helpful and attentive. Your room should have been spotless. We apologize that you found your room to be dirty - this is inexcusable. We can assure you that this is not a common occurrence. Please contact us at reservations@thesummerhouse.com and we'll see to it that the quality of your next visit exceeds your expectations!
danvers,ma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

After being warned by numerous natives, the Summer Horror House proved to be just that. I went into this smoke and mirror shamble with the idea of panning the summer gold. As a waiter who has seen it all, in years past, I once again witnessed the con job of no management and inappropriate tip handling maneuvers.
Waiters are required to add 20 per cent to the check of parties of 6 or more, with the requirement of telling the guest the tip has already been added. Based upon a pool system, the manager gets compensated and waiters or servers (in training) are "graciously" given part of it.
Since I wasn't given a specific number with my name attached, the response to my demand for tips owed was people who are training don't get tipped. They allowed me to work 4 shifts and refuse to grant those tips that some of you already paid. A scam that I am attacking civilly.
Very surprised to see how prominent the owner is concerning the U.S. court system.
I will be seeing you soon, Danielle..............................................................................................
Mutny

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Horrible staff. Cleanliness is below par. I've never experienced such terrible service and uncleanliness. I toured the grounds and found it seriously below par. Look elsewhere. I recommend staying anywhere else on the island.

• Stayed June 2013
I am sorry that your experience at the Summer House did not meet your expectations. It is absolutely inexcusable that the staff did not provide you with the highest quality service and ensure that your room was in tip-top condition. Please contact us via email at reservations@thesummerhouse.com so that I can directly address these concerns and ensure that your next visit is dramatically improved.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

I didn't actually stay at summer house, just visited for drinks and toured the rooms. They were full of mothballs and spiders. The staff were rude and uninformed. Save your money and stay somewhere else!!'

• Stayed June 2013
My apologies - I am very disappointed to hear that the staff was unhelpful and rude. This is certainly not the norm, but I can assure you that I have addressed the issue with staff members. I'm sorry that the quality of the rooms did not meet your expectations. Your feedback has been extremely helpful - I've done everything in my power to make sure that visitors never see a single mothball or spider! We hope you'll give the Summer House another try.

Been to 27 Fair Street Inn? Share your experiences!