“Exceptional Service” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Specialty Shops
Activities: Shopping
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Shop selling the island's signature Nantucket Reds clothing.
Falmouth, Massachusetts
“Exceptional Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I was in Murray's yesterday and being a Cape Cod local for my whole life I appreciate stores like this. They had a great selection. I made the mistake of leaving a $300 pair of Maui Jim Sunglass's in the dressing room. I called the store as soon as I landed in Hyannis Airport and they actually had them. Not only that, they where nice enought to drop them off at the ticket counter of Island Airlines, who then flew them back to Hyannis for me. Those often forgotten little customer service touches make a big difference, and should not go unappreciated. I will recomend this store to anyone I know traveling to Nantucket and being a frequent traveler to the island myself I now have a deep loyalty to them. I cant wait to go back in!

Bryan - Centerville, MA

Visited August 2012

Ottawa, Canada
17 attraction reviews
“Home of the Nantucket Reds”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2008

After all that I had heard and read about "Nantucket Reds" I absolutely had to put Murray's Toggery Shop on my list of places to visit while in Nantucket. I was not disappointed. Murray's evidently is the original home of Nantucket Reds, and over the years the idea of wearing this red clay coloured clothing, that transitions overtime to a more distinct pinkish shade has caught on like wildfire. It is evidently now a sign of not only being a long time resident, but a silent symbol that visitors can take with them and show they've actually been to Nantucket.

I sort of knew what to expect, but even then I was overwhelmed by the assortment of goods available in the Nantucket Red line... Pants, Skirts, Ts, Polos, Golf Shirts, Sweaters, Dress Pants, Jackets, Ties, Socks, Babyclothes, Beach Bags, Luggage... it was truly amazing... there was something for everyone and every taste.

In the end I didn't purchase anything... I figure I needed another whole year to think about it, being as the colour is such a big commitment. LOL.

As for the rest of Murray's it was a fun store to look around. And the staff were very nice. Even my partner, who like most men isn't one much for shopping ventured in to browse the men's department.

32 attraction reviews
“Picked up our Nantucket Red shirt”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2007

This place is loaded with everything a well-dressed visitor or islander needs to complete a Nantucket look. The Nantucket Reds pieces are a bit pricey, but they are an island original.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Not a bad way to spend some cash...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2002

Great, old-fashioned department store that carries all of the preppy classics that
are essential to nantucket in the summer: more Ralph Lauren than you can shake
a stick at, grosgrain ribbon belts, Vera Bradley bags, dresses for church, clambakes
and weddings, purses, and a respectable selection of shoes on the top floor. (One
of the last places in the US, it seems, to find lots of Sebagos and Tretorns!) Large
men's selection as well, emphasizing casual clothing, but also a fair amount of
Only-on-Nantucket ridiculous clothing, like green sportcoats and yellow pants with
lobsters, frogs, whales, palm trees embroidered on them. There is also an Estee
Lauder counter. The store's claim to fame, however, is its vast selection of "Nantucket
Reds", a chino fabric that is distinctly Georgia-clay red upon purchase, but fades
to a salmon-pink color with use and wear. There are Nantucket Red pants, shorts,
baby clothes, work shirts, overalls, skirts and capri pants for sale. As impractical
as the idea seems to those not familliar with the island, the color is distinctive
and appears everywhere on the island. The pants are common in wedding parties
and at evening events when paired with navy sport coats and boat shoes. They
are something of a status symbol, although they aren't expensive, in that they
fade uniquely. The pinker your pants, the more likely you're an old-school islander.
A definite institution, and worth a browse for WASP wear a-go-go.