“restoration gem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Allen House Victorian Inn

Allen House Victorian Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Amherst
Allen House Victorian Inn
Ranked #6 of 14 Amherst B&B and Inns
Mount Dora, Florida
“restoration gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Treated myself to this great B&B in a perfect location in charming Amherst. The Peacock room (AKA the Walter Crane room) was elegant and the ambiance from this family estate restored with attention to detail as a labor of love from the inn keepers Alan and Ann was inspiring. You walk in the front door and step back into time. Great for a quiet time with a book, central stop for getting to know the area, and ask about the lovely family stories.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Hedgesville, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Stayed for three nights while traveling on business. The house is very clean and comfortable, while still retaining the character of a traditional victorian home. I have stayed at many Bed and Breakfasts in the Northeast. The Allen House rooms and hospitality are on par with the best B&Bs I have visited. The location is outstanding, privately set back from the street, but only a block from the downtown restaurants. Numerous restaurants within walking distance were reasonably priced and served fantastic food. The Allen House breakfast was wonderful. The home has two comfortable rooms for guest use and WiFi was excellent--faster than most franchise hotels I stay at. The owners were very accommodating and made me feel welcome during my entire stay. I highly recommend Allen House.

Room Tip: Rooms that face away from the street are quieter. My room faced the street. It was fall and weathe...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

After a day spent moving my daughter in on her first day of college, it was a pleasure to relax on the porch adjacent to my room. Comfortable and clean, the Allen House is conveniently located to the center of Amherst and the quite wonderful Emily Dickinson House. After loading the car with bags and bicycle and driving up from New York City, i welcomed the opportunity to walk from the inn to restaurants, the farmers market and the local wine store. Ann and Allen, the owners, , serve a full and satisfying breakfast too. Most of all I appreciated Ann's warmth and helpfulness. She insisted on spending more than half an hour helping me to find alternative accommodations for a future weekend when there were no rooms available at Allen House. I unhesitatingly recommend the Allen House. Barbara M.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Purcellville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Stayed on my way back from Ogunquit, ME....This is a great B&B...Great location, quiet, attention to detail by providing many more amenities than expected....no TV in room but that was actually a plus....and a fantastic full course breakfast included...couldn't be happier.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Mojacar, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

My wife and I had one night to enjoy alone - grandma was watching our daughter. It was unexpected and we had no plan whatsoever.

Driving north on 91 from Holyoke Mall, I figured I'd swing into North Hampton. No hotel rooms were available. My wife ran into the big fancy hotel in the middle of town - the receptionist gave her the number to Allen House.

We called. They had a room. They were very polite on the phone. Dealing with bad cell connections and external noise - having to repeat things a few times. They were patient and helpful. This is a major plus in my book.

We arrived at night and couldn't really appreciate the house, but our room was like something out of a film set. The Oscar Wilde room.

We went out for a dinner and drinks and returned to sleep in a really comportable bed with layers of lovely bedding.

The breakfast was at their other inn up the street. My wife claims that the eggs were the best she'd ever had. This is another plus in my book.

Upon our return to Allen House we were obliged with our photo taking, given a story for several pictures, and antiques. Asked questions about a variety of items present and were given explicit candid informative answers with no pretention.

I actually had a few drawings that I wanted to scan and print and there was a free facility in the inn. Sitting in the decorative hall overlooking the 2nd story porch and trees in the front yard. It was a task that was pestering me, but doing it here made it seem like an extension of brunch.

Later we went to the Emily Dickinson house and that was beautiful.

The yard at Allen is spacious and perfect....

Anyway...it's a great place with great hosts.

Tell them - Greg - the guy with the tatts and the Burmese wife - sent ya.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Amherst, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

I had a great time here. The host/owner is very friendly, and so are the staff. It has a very quaint, historic feel to it. I have stayed in some of the best hotels all over the world, but this beautiful little inn is certainly up there!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great here. They all have some antique/historic quality.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

(note - this is an adaptation of the review we posted for the Amherst Inn).

We have had the opportunity to spend several stays in Amherst over the Summer. We discovered the Amherst Inn and Allen House and we can't say enough about both of them.

They are both owned and operated by the same couple who restored both houses to their pristine late 18th century perfection - amazing wallpaper, hand painted/stenciled ceilings, moldings, antique furniture, carpets, stained woodwork, paintings and prints, books - it is simply breathtaking. It's the opportunity to visit a period museum except you get to live in it and sit in the chairs. Like others, we stayed in several rooms (and toured most of the rest) and it is an incredible experience.

The beds are extremely comfortable and the owners, Ann and Alan, are full of knowledge about the art and architecture and antiques of the late 19th century/early 20th century. The inns are their passion and they love to share it.

The Emily Dickinson museum is located across the street from the Amherst Inn and central Amherst is just a few minute walk. We really enjoyed visiting the museum with it's two houses and wonderful guided tours, including a self-guided audio garden with readings of her poetry. It was so convenient that we actually visited it several times.

In our second trip the Amherst was full so we stayed at the Allan house. It is a little further down the road and a little less convenient to town so when it was first proposed we were apprehensive . However, once we saw it we were in awe - it is also immaculately restored and the rooms are simply stunning with each room based on a different late 19th century artist/designer. Now in our third trip we are there again and enjoying different rooms and just hanging out in our own museum.

So each house has it's charm - and be sure to experience both of them.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Allen House Victorian Inn? Share your experiences!