“True Italian Greatness outside of the city (and Italy perhaps too)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wild Bites - CLOSED

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Boston, MA USA
“True Italian Greatness outside of the city (and Italy perhaps too)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

If you expect fast service and impeccable perfection (move on to the chain restaurants and set your food expectations lower). We were looking for a "Very Good Italian place in New England".
We live outside of Boston and expanded the search to RI, NY, Maine, .... This place hit our radar and we tried it. About an hour north of the city and hit a quaint little downtown place.
Cons: The water was very poor (so instead of complaining we got a bottle of sparkling water), the staff was young and slow. The food was slow coming.
Pros: The food was MORE than worth the wait! The young waiter was very knowledgeable and explained anything we wanted (and we did have 6 questions about the specials and menu).
Here is where the amazing steps in... The Chef/Owner was happy, and cooking for everyone there with personal passion. Our table ordered 2 apps, 2 dinners that came with 2 salads, a bottle of sparkling water and a bottle of wine (which I suggest). We got, 2 apps, ANOTHER small dish of the Chefs specials on a tester plate as he explained other things that make and for us to "give a try". Then the Salads came out (find a Cesar salad that rivals this would be hard especially considering they make even their own bread crumbs). Then if that wasn't enough taste testing, ANOTHER sampler dish came out by the Chef of just 2 each small samples of other offerings on their menu. The followed by the Main Course.
Allow me to describe their offerings. My spouse is a picky eater, who loves pasta, I am such a particular person that I make my own pasta at home that comes out AWESOME, yet we find it hard to find a place that has great homemade pasta. If I can suggest the gnocchi and the butter nut ravioli, you cannot go wrong. Do ask for more home-made bread to lap up those awesome sauces also. I'd be amiss if I didn't tell you that you couldn't get a better pasta dish even in New York City by some of the Food Network Chef's places.
This chef is bringing some AMAZING flavors to Amesbury. Truly his love for cooking shines right through on his meals. It was our first time, yes lots of marketing is not there as their website is less than desirable, BUT... if your looking for AUTHENTIC "Really Really" good pasta type dishes and your within a drive from Amesbury, MA This place gets my two thumbs up.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Salem, New Hampshire
“great food/pricey”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Not having been to Wild Bites since they moved back to Amesbury, we were excited to go back. Unfortunately we were underwhelmed with their new location. The atmosphere is not warm, it was almost like sitting in a bank. Only one bathroom (unisex) which was smelly and not very clean. The staff was quite pleasant, so sweet. The food was very good, but at a very steep price, that we would be willing to pay if the equation added up, but it didn't. Food and service great, atmosphere and price not so great

Visited October 2012
Park City, Utah
“Chef makes you feel like he invited you personally.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stumbled upon here when another restaurant had an hour and half wait. We got prime space in the window and was greeted very warmly. The chef works in an area that is open for all to see. I wanted the raviolis but it was hard to decide from the three available, lobster pumpkin or fig and walnut. Fig and walnut it was and the chef threw in a pumpkin to taste! Mm, loved it. My husband loved the rabbit dish too. At the end the chef sent over a dessert wine to try and when we went to say thank you before leaving, he had us try a homemade drink, on the house. Excellent!

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ayer
“My Favorite Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Wild Bites is where you go if you want the true Italian eating experience. This is no American restaurant where you order and a plate full of stuff comes all at once and you have to shovel it down before it gets cold. At our most recent meal at Wild Bites, Tony Ortu, the chef and owner started us out with some bruschetta and a plate of cold cuts, cheeses, olives, mushrooms, peppers and sun dried tomatoes drizzled with olive oil, fantastic! Next Tony served his gnocchi in a cream sauce. When you get gnocchi elsewhere it is almost always gummy not Tony's it is exquisite. Oh and just for good measure he brought out a few more in a tomato and olive oil sauce. I'm still trying to figure out which I loved more. Then we went on to the main event, my wife had baked haddock with risotto and green beans, which was fantastic (we always share with each other) and I had lobster ravioli with some additional lobster meat, some scallops, a crab cake, green beans and risotto, We also had a wonderful bottle of wine (Speri Amarone), a couple of cappuccinos and some Tony cello which is limonciello with cream, yummy. All of this was done over a two and a half hour stay. After all that we did not have room for dessert which is a crying shame because normally we would get some tiramasu. Once you have had Tony's tiramasu you won't want anyone else's and I have had it in NYC, the North End and in Italy. Some other favorites are any of his ravioli (the ravioli and the accompanying sauce are always amazing), the rack of lamb, the filet, any chicken dish (to this day I can't figure out how he takes the chicken off at exactly the right time so it is cooked through and still moist and tender, just amazing), his appetizer scallops with the honey balsamic, his chocolate mousse, wow! I know I am forgetting something but I think you get the idea. If you love excellent food and don't want to be rushed go to Wild Bites!!!!!!!!!

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Amesbury, Massachusetts
“Amazing, personalized gourmet dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Tony, the chef extraordinaire, visits you at your table, prepares a meal, one course at a time, in an intimate setting reminiscent of Tuscany. For an unforgettable, special meal, this is the place to go.