“Disappointing and unorganized” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 24 restaurants in Adams
Chapin
“Disappointing and unorganized”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

We went to the Bascom Lodge for their dinner and had to make reservations. We made them over a month prior. They have a set menu that changes daily. We went online for the menu several times and saw it change. It even changed when we got there. They are slow..taking over two hours to serve a set menu. The employees sit around and talk to each other instead of serving. The food was bland, cold and sometimes missing all together. They skipped people, some didn't even get dessert. They don't know what wine they have. You do not have a view..that's reserved for weddings etc. The food portions were so small that you were still hungry. Only the dessert was good..if they didn't run out. The waitress even went around to each table to tell them to lower their voices. Don't waste your money.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

61% Recommend
New York City, New York
“Complete disappointment - Awful wait”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Being the only game in town on top of Mount Greylock, I feel like I went through some set up entrapment. After seeing this featured in Yankee magazine and going to the website, you would think that a restaurant that requires reservations plus your meal order (prie-fix menu ranging from $28-$35/person) before you arrive would be top-notched and fully prepared. This was clearly not one of those case.

After spending time looking over the evening menu calendar, I send an email with our reservation with our meal order. Days passed and we never got a confirmation email. When I called them, they said that they have us down and that they needed my credit card number to hold the table/meals. I asked them why I didn't get a reply email and they said they don't usually do that. That should have been a clear indication something would not go well.

When we arrive, we waited around because the restaurant does not open until 7pm on the dot. Once he doors opened, it literally felt like we were cattle being herded to our tables. We give our names and they tell you which table number to go to. No mention on the website that the tables are shared. Any notion of a romantic sunset dinner is to the contrary. Window? Only if you are luck to be at the right table. It felt like we were at a school cafeteria...cramped with people of varying wiggle room. It took 30 minutes after we sat just to get our drinks. Because it was a chilly autumn night and it was apple season, I figured it would be nice to order two warm apple ciders. The waitress places two mugs on the table and tells me that the cider may not be so hot as I would like and I told her I don't mine it not being piping hot. Well, it literally was probably straight out of the fridge as it was cold with a few cloves floating around. They couldn't even fake it and put it in the microwave?

Just for fun, my partner and I count the number of tables and do the math of what the lodge must be making per head. Afterall, we weren't doing much but waiting. Three rows of tables that seat six, 6 or 5 tables per row. And three servers. The soup & bread finally come out. Not bad, not great either.

Then comes the excruciating wait to get our main dishes served. The evening meal was turkey & stuffing with green beans & yams. How hard is it to serve many people that dish? I mean I volunteer at soup kitchens every year and it's pretty much a simple assembly line. We can serve up hundreds of people in a flash. I am generally very lenient with servers because I know it is a tough job, but the servers were just serving one dish. It mind as well just been a lunch line at a school cafeteria.

The servers started on one side of the room serving and so if you are on the wrong side of the room...you are in tough luck. Our food was not served until LITERALLY at 8:35 (arrived at 6:30pm) and the first people served had already finished their course. If we were sitting at separate intimate tables, it would have been easy to just not notice, but the fact there are people eating while you are just sitting there on bread and butter is just plain cruel. Also when you see servers just hanging out and sipping their cokes, that is not cool either. I would think someone would come out to apologize for the wait or even offer maybe a free glass of wine or something...nada.

Finally a waitress came out and said "I swear it is coming." I told my boyfriend that if the food is hot, I guess I can understand they are doing each plate with care. The food came....it was freaking cold, not as cold as the apple cider, but not that far off.

The ultimate icing on the cake insult was desert. That evening was ginger pear cake. You'd think they would try to at least bring all the deserts out to everyone at once, but no. You would see servers with just two plates at a time when they had plenty of serving trays that could have held all 6 for the table. The worst was when one of the servers figured that out, but when they arrived at the table, they only had 5 instead of 6. Poor lone fella had to wait again. Forget about coffee/tea service....you go get up and get it yourself.

And then there is the check. No collecting credit cards from the table...you get in line to pay the bill. The waitress smiles and tells us two dinners, two hot ciders, and the price as if was a perfect night. I have never in my life experience such a level of bad service.

Maybe it was a bad night, but I think that is just how they roll. Since they are the only game on the mountain top, they have your credit card number, it is sort of entrapment, no? Also after the dinner, you somehow have to drive down the mountain with immense amount of fog.

I say don't risk it unless they do some major overhauling.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
New Jersey
“Okay food but horrible wait”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We went to the top of the Mt. Greylock and decided to grab a quick lunch at the Bascom Lodge. What a mistake. We waited almost 1/2 hour to place our order then another 1 hour for them to serve us. People after us were served before us because we have a large party. The place was very disorganized.

Visited October 2013
Northbridge, Massachusetts
“Not the best sunset option”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We had heard you could have a local brew and watch the sunset on the deck in back of the newly re-opened Bascom Lodge. A few points of clarification: the deck is enclosed so it is warmer, but you watch the sunset from picnic tables through a wall of small windows. The beers are in bottles and cans and the local ones are in really large bottles. We saw people stopped to watch the sunset about 5-6 miles towards the top from the visitor center at the south end of the park. In retrospect, this was a better, unobstructed view west and stopping there before continuing to Bascom Lodge for their 7 PM dinner service would be the way to go. Enjoyed seeing the War Memorial after sunset and was surprised it was open (fist floor only, stairs under renovation).

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cheshire, Massachusetts, United States
“Poor service at snack bar”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I brought my dad up Greylock to see the view, war memorial and get lunch. When we entered the eating area, a pudgy woman begrudgingly acknowledge us by asking "Do you want something?" She proceeded to question our orders after telling us rudely we had to order first, then sit down. This was my first time to the eatery, so I had no idea the procedure. Once the woman demanded another employee give us a glass of water, she finished out order while grumbling something under her breath.
The food was OK, brought out to us by the cook, who then proceeded to take a lunch break while another man, who kept sneezing, took over the grill.
Overall, the experience could have been better if we weren't greeted by this woman who acted like we interrupted HER lunch break. Don't be so rude to your customers!
But Greylock overall is amazing, is this poor service shouldn't stop anyone from at least visiting the war memorial. But Bascom Lodge, get your employees' acts together!

• Visited September 2013