“Best Bagels, Worst Owners” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 56 Restaurants in Acton
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
The Love Boat
“Best Bagels, Worst Owners”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I never would have thought to write a review of a Bagel place until I overheard the owner saying to someone "I've read the reviews online and I don't care what they say about me". Fair enough.

These bagels are the best. As a transplanted New Yorker I was thrilled to find such great bagels out in these parts. The lox is phenomenal as well. As for service, the teenage girls are utilitarian but you are better off getting your bagels to go and making it the way you want it at home. It would help if they were taught how to slice a tomato.

The constantly disappointing part is the owners. They never smile or acknowledge a return customer (I've been going weekly for 5 years). A few simple changes and this place could be a little clearer, warmer and more inviting.

A few years back I asked the owner if they had wi-fi and he said "yes, but we don't like to tell people that because we don't want people to stay all day".

Best bet, get your bagels and enjoy at home!

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Acton and Wellfleet, MA
“Why can't they at least be pleasant?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I live and work near this bagel shop, and actually like their bagels. However, I generally avoid frequenting the place because the owners are so unpleasant and often (particularly the woman) outright mean.
My co-workers and I try to frequent locally owned businesses, but we all generally avoid Bagels Plus just because of the owners and the unpleasant atmosphere when they are there. Summers and after school hours are better because of the high school girls who work there!

• Visited June 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Boston, MA
“Best bagels in the area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

I'm picky about my bagels and I don't know a better place for fresh bagels in the area. They are good enough to eat without toasting. Their salmon spread is excellent.
When I have the time, I like hanging out at a table reading the paper while I eat my bagel.
I can't vouch for the coffee since I never get it there.
While the owners aren't particularly outgoing, I've never had a bad experience with them. I don't know why so many seem to be put off.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Acton and Wellfleet, MA
“Decent bagels, wish the owners were nicer”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

Good bagels and selection of toppings, sandwiches. I much prefer to go in when the owners are not there, as they are curt and unhappy.

Visited March 2012
Acton, Massachusetts
“Consistently great and best bagels north of Manhattan...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

We've been eating at Bagels plus for 5+ years, almost every Sunday mornings and the occasional lunches, and have never been disappointed. It's is the only eatery about which I can make this statement with confidence. The coffee isn't always great if the kids are making it, but the bagels are always fresh, the spreads and sandwiches always delicious. The girls behind the counter are hard working and patient. It's comforting to see a family owned business do well, hope they have many years of continued success.

• Visited March 2011