“OK if nothing else is open” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 18 Restaurants in Arnold
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
St. Albans, United Kingdom
“OK if nothing else is open”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

It was Sunday night and nothing else within easy driving was open. We ordered the half chicken, fries and coleslaw and fish tacos. My fries were dry like cardboard and cold and the coleslaw was limp and swimming in mayo, or whatever it is: the chicken was good and hot. My choice stated: 'House Salad or Caesar Salad and choice of vegetable or side dish' so I expected a salad as well as the vegetable or side. Apparently not, it means: House Salad or Caesar Salad OR choice of vegetable or side. To me, the word 'and' means as well, or plus. Not here, it means 'or'. So, I didn't get the salad but after a little consultation it was agreed the meal was reduced by $1. Really, though, even with this it wasn't worth $10.99.
My husband's fish tacos were not particularly great, he said they were bland and he was disappointed too. I suppose at least we ate but definitely wouldn't return. We're used to eating all sorts of food around the world, including cooking in the Australian Outback, African countries and for 3 months every year across this country: this was one of the most disappointing.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Grasonville, Maryland
“Great Plan "B" for us”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

After walking out of one restaurant (see previous review) I grabbed my phone and searched for our plan B for dinner. We saw they O’Loughlin’s was close by so I hit the navigate to button. I had been looking for a hamburger and after being told that I could not have a med-rare cooked burger at the other place I was pleased when the waitress here replied “what temperature”, this made my day! Burger was juicy and cooked med-rare just the way I wanted it. My wife had the pulled pork which was also very good. The Guinness was excellent here as well. The waitress was very attentive and polite, she knew all the specials and was happy I got the burger, she said it was her favorite as well.

We will return

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Baltimore, MD
“Entrees were not up to par”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

The restaurant was not busy on a Friday evening at 6:30 and we were seated promptly. The staff was friendly. I ordered the grilled tuna which came in 2 or 3 very small pieces, which I thought was strange. My fiance ordered the stuffed flounder, which was very small. We both cleaned our plates, not because it was so delishious, but because we were still hungry. We should have ordered the 'bar food' instead of the entrees. We saw some burgers, etcs. go by that looked pretty good. But we typically don't order that type of food for dinner.

• Visited June 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Annapolis, MD
“Not the Place we Remember”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

O’Loughlins is and has always presented itself as a neighborhood restaurant. On some prior occasions over past years it was a standout expression of such dining that reached a point beyond the norm with its fine finished and quality delivery of a good variety of entrees.
The restaurant still maintains a pleasant and friendly approach with clientele. Where the difference lies is in offerings and kitchen performance. Granted we probably have not dined here for at least a year and things in this economy are changing, especially in the hospitality trade. A nice touch that is no longer available was the “Combination” options previously offered combining different entrees. There also seems to be a closer resemblance to “tavern fare” focusing on sandwiches and appetizers than what existed before.
We are adventurous with food and started with their soup of the day. It sounded strange – a combination of both Maryland Crab soup (tomato based) and Cream of Crab- and it proved even stranger. It could only have resulted from a line cook going off the edge after too long a week end!
My wife had the Crab Imperial with the side of broccoli; I decided to go conservative falling back on a rack of Baby Back and French fries. Do you know what green vegetables look like out of a can? One look at the broccoli and you knew it was well overdone. When finally mentioned to the waitress she thought we just didn’t like broccoli, and just said she would be sure to mention it to the kitchen. A prior visit would have resulted with the errant vegetable immediately removed, an offer to provide a fresh version or any other side and a sincere apology. The imperial my wife had wasn’t up to my recollection of prior visits, and the ribs were very much routine.
If you’re in the mood for a before dinner cocktail on the rocks, be prepared for one of those really smaller size lowball glasses filled with ice, and oh yeah, it still carries the price of a downtown drink.
We have certainly had much poorer experiences, but this was more of a disappointment because of our prior level of enjoyment on many of occasions with this long standing and professional establishment. It’s sad to see what the industry has had to do to survive these times.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cape Coral, Florida
“IRISH PUB”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

I love the chicken wings also a great bar and very friendly staff

Been to O'Loughlin's Restaurant? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage O'Loughlin's Restaurant, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.