“pleasant surprise” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in Annapolis
Fair Lawn, NJ
“pleasant surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

After reading some of the negative or tepid prior reviews, I almost did not stay here. Boy, am I glad I did not make that choice. This hotel was conveniently located, clean and modern. Front desk supervisor was helpful and service was excellent. Common areas, pool and exercise room were well above average. Hotel room was large, very clean and the bed was comfortable. We could not have asked for more.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Edelens, General Manager at Sheraton Annapolis Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2010
Thank you for sharing the details surrounding your visit with the Sheraton Annapolis Hotel. I am excited that you noticed and enjoyed the enhancements and changes we are making in the hotel; both with our Sheraton White Bedding and some service initiatives! I appreciate you taking a minute to share this and I look forward to reviewing with our management team. We look forward to your next visit to Annapolis!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

We arrived on a Sunday afternoon around 2:30 The lady at the desk checked and said our room was not ready...this after two sets of guests received their room keys. We were the told in an "off the cuff " way that our check in was not until 3pm, anyhow. So we went over to the bar area to browse the web and such. At about 3:15, we again return the desk...room still not ready (not sure if it mattered, but we booked on hotwire). At this point an offer of a round at the bar or a free breakfast would have went a long way, as we had just driven 6.5 hours. Nope, didn't happen. Jumped in our car and got caught in the worst thunderstorm I have ever encountered. A tree was even knocked down in the parking lot. Soaked & upset, we finally got checked in at 4:30pm. Must have been shift change, because it was done by a different person. I then requested a small fridge...nope, didn't have one. Soaked and hot, we stepped into a steamy elevator And into (I give credit here) a very clean room. The sir conditioner worked in room 432, but sounded like a jet plane getting ready for take off, every tine it went to cool. We also had a bad experience with room keys. I don't know if security features at the smitsonian render the keys useless but after a 12 hour trip to dc, we get to our room and find the keys did not work. Back down in the 90 degree elevator we go. Staff replaced keys but not overly apologetic, nor caring. Over all, the room was clean, and hotel bice, but staff attitude left a lot to be desired. We stayed 5 days, and had the room not been prepaid, we might have not stayed at all.

• Stayed August 2010
Edelens, General Manager at Sheraton Annapolis Hotel, responded to this review, August 3, 2010
I am very sorry for the less than spectacular visit you had with us a few weeks ago - it is absolutely not our standard to offer uncaring service. You did present multiple opportunities for us to enhance your visit and we obviously did not recognize them. While room keys do become erased when close to security gates in the museums, an apology would have been helpful. The elevator temperature, while not corrected during your visit, is currently being overhauled.
Again, I am very sorry for the experiences you had and I hope that you contact me in the future for your Annapolis visits.
Bristow, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

If you are traveling with dogs, this is the place to stay.
Upon entering the lobby of the hotel I was impress of how opened and nicely decorated the lobby was. Checking in the Front Desk Clerk was very professional and courtesy. However, once my husband and I boarded the elevator and reached the 4th floor, we were greeted with an unpleasant odor. I couldn't place the odor at the time. Not only did the 4th floor have this odor but our room had it too. My husband and I left the hotel to grab some dinner. Coming back from dinner, we shared the elevator with a couple and their 2 dogs. When I had made my reservation on Hotwire I was not aware that this hotel allowed animals. I have no problems with animals just the smell they leave behind. We were only staying for the night so I thought "Suck it up". But the room smelled like an animal shelter. Trying to sleep I kept the sheets on my nose. At one o'clock in the morning I was awakened by a loud door slam and a distance ringing that seemed to have been coming from the other side of the building. After a few minutes, my husband and I rose out of bed to see what was going on. He went into the hallway and I tried calling the front desk... Busy... I poked my head out into the hallway and hear the sound of the alarm and dogs barking. Anyways, we all lived. Tried but lived.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking a moment to share the details of your visit to our hotel. I am pleased to hear that your arrival was courteous, yet I am very sorry for the odor you encountered. We do welcome pets into our hotel, yet the odor was obviously disruptive and prevalent. We are currently identifying particular rooms that we will offer to guests travelling with pets. This will allow us to properly detail the room between guests. As well, while I am pleased that our alarm system functions so sensitively, I can imagine how surprising a 1am alarm is.
Again, thank you for taking the time to share this information so we can use the feedback towards continued improvement. I am sorry for your inconveniences and I hope to welcome you back in the future.
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

To begin, the hotel is not well marked at all. It has a long, unmarked driveway, and the building itself sits behind a cluster of restaurants, which further obscure the entrance.

When we arrived we found the clerk to be exceptionally polite, and exceptionally overworked. He definitely needed someone else behind the desk. As a result, check-in took a little longer than normal.

The elevator was extremely hot. They had a sign saying they were in the process of fixing this,but that did not explain why the hallways were hot too.

Once in the room, there was a slight musty smell that I got used to after a few minutes. It looked like they had made an effort to update- granite counters in the bathroom, hip carpet and light fixtures, flat screen TV, but the other furniture was dated and probably original. Same for the shower. Also, the walls were badly scuffed and could use some paint, and the door also needed a new coat of paint.

The room was, however, clean, and the beds had brand new sheets and comforters, which were very nice.

The worst part was the air conditioning unit. Loudest I've ever had in a hotel room. Thank god their pillows were plush enough that they could block much of the noise from that thing, otherwise I probably wouldn't have slept at all.

In sum, this really isn't what I've come to expect from this brand. Looks like they rushed the update and need to go back and do it right.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

First let me say that my friend and I were incredibly late arriving....like 1 am...and everything was great (staff helpful and fast, lobby lovely) until we stepped onto the elevator. It was like a sauna room. When we finally exited onto the third floor, we were hit with a musty/moldy smell in the hallway. Fortunately, that smell wasn't in the room once we got in, however the AC unit was LOUD and had been turned off for some time and the room was sweltering. We decided we were too exhausted to care about the decibel lever of the cooling, turned it to MAX COOL and hit the bed. Only it never cooled. And these were no 'sweet sleeper' beds either. So we spent the night tossing fitfully, neither of us sleeping for too long but strangely unwilling to call up a repairman at 3 am with us in our jammies, or re-pack and move to another room. I do have to say that the room was clean and otherwise well-appointed.

To their credit, when I reported it upon checkout, they were apologetic and gave us a free buffett breakfast for our trouble. The eggs were quite good with the addition of spring onions and grated cheese, but the rest was just ok. However, we found ourselves rushing thru eating it because the breakfast area was attached to the guest PC area and one young man was gaming at full volume with no one suggesting to him to turn it down. Made it a little unpleasant to eat, and impossible to speak to each other.

So we had a poor experience BUT we didn't give them an opportunity to fix it while it could be because of the late hour. However, we did get a great rate on Hotwire, so at least I didn't pay anywhere near full price.

The reason people find it hard to locate the hotel is because though it has a Jennifer Road address, it's not easily seen from the road because it's behind a strip mall. It would be quite nice if they were to put at least a stick-in-the-ground sign with their name and an arrow...

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Edelens, General Manager at Sheraton Annapolis Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your experience while visiting with us. While I am pleased to hear of the service you received the first morning with us in repsonse to your challenges, I am sorry you experienced the broken AC in the first place. It certainly does not make for a comfortable night's sleep! While I have not experienced a "gaming experience" while I have been in the lobby and restaurant, I can absolutely imagine how disruptive it can be and I will share your feedback with the hotel team. I am pleased to share that we are currently working with a company to identify appropriate signage for the hotel so future guests do not experience the same challenge you did when arriving.
Again, thank you for taking the time to share this information so we can best identify our areas of opportunity. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you to the Sheraton Annapolis Hotel for your next visit to Annapolis.
Baltimore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

Hotel was hard to find. Mapquest will NOT get you there.
When we arrived, our room wasn't ready...we had to wait 15 mins.
The hotel is indeed an older hotel and they have renovated some parts of the hotel. However, they did "cut corners". The elevators are old and the hotel hallways are extremely hot. The room itself wasn't bad, however the bathtub was. It had old molded tile with new fixtures...just tacky!

Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2010

The rooms do need to be updated as the hotel seems to just look old....

Front desk staff were good, but service in the restaurant was lacking.

And on top of that there were minor issues such as low water pressure in the shower and loose fittings in the bathroom.

The location was easy to get to and there's plenty of places to eat within walking distance.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Been to Sheraton Annapolis Hotel? Share your experiences!