“Our room came with blood on the blanket” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #14 of 21 Hotels in Annapolis
Salisbury, Maryland
“Our room came with blood on the blanket”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

All in all, as a frequent and experienced traveler, I encourage you to avoid this hotel unless you have absolutely no other option. The cleanliness is suspect and the managerial customer service poor.

Let me start off by saying that I'm pretty angry at the hotel, not even just for the experience, but for not following through on what they promised to provide after my experience, so my review does reflect that.

First, checking in we were greeted by a rude front desk manager. When we arrived, it was to discover that the pool was closed for emergency repairs (I completely understand this happens) but we'd chosen this hotel based on the fact that it had a pool, because it was part of our vacation weekend for our 7y/o. When I asked the manager if it was possible to transfer our reservation/rate to another Sheraton, he explained to me, in detail, how that wasn't possible because of how much work it would create for him. Ummm...okay. As a customer, I'm not actually interested in that explanation. If it's not possible, that's one thing, and that's all I need to know, but because it's too much work for you? Not what I want to hear. Since we were checking in late at night, we chose not to make an issue of it but get our daughter to bed. Only to get to our room and learn that not one but BOTH keys didn't work so I had to leave my husband and daughter in the hallway with our belongings, wait for the ancient and slow elevator, and get new keys made. Inconvenient, but not something to ruin a stay until added to all of the other issues over the weekend.

In the morning, as I got out of bed, I discovered something so horrifying and disgusting, I nearly didn't tell my husband about it. In the corner of the blanket on my side, there was a large spattering of dried blood. No, I didn't spontaneously burst a blood vessel in the middle of the night. The housekeeping staff had placed or kept this blanket on the bed and I had slept with a large dried bloodstain all night. I travel a lot for work, I'm a Gold Preferred Member at the Starwood chains, as well as a preferred member at several other chains because of all my travel and I have never, never seen anything so disgusting. I've included a photo with this review, so you can see what I slept with.

I immediately went downstairs and asked to speak to the manager on duty. She was very receptive at the time, as was the front desk staff, and they promised to refund both the $$ and the points that I had used for my stay, as well as credit my account extra points. They also immediately sent housekeeping to the room to give it a thorough cleaning. I felt this was fair. However, at no time after this did anyone contact me and follow up to apologize or see if the room was to our satisfaction. And the points? Were never returned or new ones given. No followthrough from management just makes this situation worse.

The second night stay was unfortunately not much better. The hotel placed two rooms of teenagers right next to us. They spent hours going in and out of their rooms and letting the doors bang against the deadbolt that they'd flipped to keep the doors from locking. They spent hours laughing, screaming, shouting and generally making a tremendous amount of noise. Even when speaking in normal tones, we could have joined in their conversations because of the thin walls. To the hotel's credit, once we complained (which we didn't want to do since we'd already had to complain about dried blood, of all things) they did eventually send up a security guard who put a stop to the noise.

In the morning, we went downstairs for breakfast. Again, the service staff in the restaurant was very accommodating and provided excellent service. It's only too bad that on the buffet, the "clean" plates had food remnants on them, and I had to send my hot water for my tea back because there was something (more than one something) floating in my cup! Gross.

I suppose what tops it all off is that what the hotel promised us, the return of our points and crediting of new ones, never materialized. I got the standard form letters from the hotel following up on our stay, saying we should contact them if the stay wasn't good. So I did, and asked for the hotel to again return our points. Ironically, I received absolutely no response to this email to the guest services manager, Christin. Awesome guest service there, eh? That was a week ago. After some thought, and even a cooling off period of a week, I've decided not to pursue this with the hotel but to instead warn people away from this hotel. I hope at some point they can get their housekeeping issues in the rooms resolved, and that they take better care with cleanliness of dishes in the restaurant, but I'd note that this seems to be a popular hotel for young teenagers and large groups of teenagers (there were literally hundreds of teenagers with different groups in the lobby). Because of the thin walls, this could be a problem for those looking for a quiet stay. I'd also note that when I was checking out, another family was doing the same and they were noting that they (a family of four) had asked for 2 doubles and been given one king. Yes, I'm sure that created some challenges for them!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Daryl S, General Manager at Sheraton Annapolis Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Ms. Angela W,

I want to sincerely apologize to you and your family for your recent stay with us. This is truly embarrassing to me and my hotel. We strive to be the very best and we failed miserably with you and your stay. Rest assured I will make corrective action on everything you have detailed and things will change quickly! I won’t stand for poor service like this to anyone. I have personally emailed you and you have already agreed to come back a vist us again. I value you and your business and I am again sorry that we failed you in so many ways. I hope with all this negative experience you trust that I am going to fix everything and when you come back your stay will be exceptional. Please contact me directly and I will handle your reservation.

Again my sincere apology and please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you or your family!

Best regards,

Daryl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Fort Wayne, IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

This was a Ramada Inn 20+ years ago when we moved from Annapolis. Sheraton has kept the property up and it is very nice. Only negative was the the elevators seemed to take a long time to get to the floors - had to wait several minutes. This is right across the street from the Annapolis Mall with lots of shopping and eating. Another upscale shopping and eating area is only two blocks away. Club Lounge has free hors d’oeuvres in the evening and hot breakfast in the morning. Note that if you want to be downtown in the historic section and near the Naval Academy, this is not the hotel for you.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Mall - it beats the highway and service views.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Daryl S, General Manager at Sheraton Annapolis Hotel, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
Thank you for posting your nice comments about our hotel. We are a bit older property but we do our very best every day to keep it up to everyone’s standards and we appreciate you noticing. We are in the process of evaluating our elevators and have set a side funds to address some of the issues. Our club lounge is located on the 6th floor and can be enjoyed daily for those that are upgraded or have paid for the extra service. I was happy hear you were able to take advantage of this service! Thank you again and we look forward to having you back soon!
Vancouver, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

My family an I were in Annapolis for my son's visit to St John's College. I was very pleased that this hotel offered an excellent rate for college and naval academy visits. Plus, the hotel seemed fresh and the quality one would expect from a Sheraton. Daryl checked us in and without asking, upgraded us to a spacious room and club lounge, not always expected for Gold Starwood status. Yes, there was freeway noise but this was really more "white noise" since the traffic was not stopping and going. It really didn't bother us at all, and my husband is a very light sleeper and sensitive to noise. If my son chooses to attend St John's College (which I'm 99% sure he will), this will definitely be the hotel that we stay in for our visits.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Daryl S, Manager at Sheraton Annapolis Hotel, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
Thank you for taking time to write a review. We especially thank you for the great comments about our quality. We strive daily to give great experiences at the Sheraton Annapolis. We were please to hear we could up grade you to the club level. We only can do this when space is available, however you can also make reservation for the club level. We hope your son chooses St. John's college so you can continue to stay with us through the years! Where ever he may land, we wish him all the best!
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

We've been to this hotel a few times before and quite like it. We did have a couple of issues on this stay which were handled and have been followed up since we checked out so appreciate the customer focus of the management. Rooms are very comfortable, good restaurant and nice pool. Well located in Annapolis with lots of parking and close to Mall and Restaurants. Annapolis is a great town to visit.

Room Tip: Hotel is close to highway so request a quiet room!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Silver Spring, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

The main difficulty of our stay was the thin walls that separate the rooms. My wife and I got placed in room 335 that was separated by room 337 by one of those two way doors. The family in room 337 was very loud, but the loudness was only exacerbated by the thin walls. I know it's not the hotel's staff fault with the way the building was designed, but be warned that the walls are thin and you can hear all the conversations and noise next door.

What the hotel staff is at fault for is not responding to the cleanliness of the room. First, we had a broken lamp / light bulb in our room. We called at 10:00 pm and 10:30 pm to get it fixed, but no one showed up. Second, we found slight small stains on the blanket. It's not a huge deal, but we still found them. Third, we found an open bag of trail mix in our closet. Again, not a huge deal, but the staff is suppose to clean that sort of thing up. Finally, the sink was leaking and had a drip coming out the caulk.

However, what the staff did right was giving us credit and points for our inconvenience.

Room Tip: Ask not to be placed next to a family.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Daryl S, General Manager at Sheraton Annapolis Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. I was distressed to read about your experience. Please accept my deepest apologies. We strive to provide our guests with only the highest quality accommodations and service levels. Anything less is simply unacceptable to us. There is no excuse for how the room was. Rest assured, corrective action will be taken. I will share your comments with our entire team during our morning meetings in order to prevent this from occurring in the future. I hope that you will consider staying with us again if you return to the Annapolis area, and give us an opportunity to exceed your expectations with the service level you have come to expect from a Sheraton. I was glad to hear the desk extended a credit and points for the inconveniences.
Melbourne, Fl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

We went there for a long weekend and brought our german shepherd. The staff was wonderful and super friendly.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Daryl S, General Manager at Sheraton Annapolis Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2012
Thank you for the kind remarks about the staff and hotel. Yes we are dog friendly and enjoy having them! We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Boulder, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

Most everything here was satisfactory. The room was clean, the beds were OK. They didn't have wifi in the room but you could go downstairs to use it. The doors to the rooms though, unless you gently close them, were like cannons. BOOM! It would resonate down the hall and into the room. This was exacerbated by the large group of young swimmers and their parents partying in the halls and running around till dark early morning. First I blame the parents and the coaches, second I blame the staff of the hotel who were at best passive but wholly ineffective. I got virtually no sleep. Under other circumstances it is likely better, but nothing worse than drifting off and then BAM! a door in the hall closes.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dear McBode, thank you for the nice comments about the room and beds. I was sorry to hear about the noise of the doors due to the group in house. We do try to keep them in control at all times. We take disturbances very seriously in our hotel will do better with this! Please note we do have Wifi available in our hotel free of charge through out and in the rooms as well. I was sorry you were not able to take advantage. Thank you again and look forward to having you come back to see us again soon.

Been to Sheraton Annapolis Hotel? Share your experiences!