“Quaint, filled with character” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   58 State Circle, Annapolis, MD 21401   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Annapolis
Oley, Pennsylvania
“Quaint, filled with character”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

We've never stayed in a historic hotel/inn before. This was like travelling back in time - the rooms were decorated period-appropriate, the floors were uneven....everything you would expect in a 200+ year old building. Staff was helpful, friendly and accommodating. Our valet, Zach was the BEST!! While driving us to our hotel, he gave us a mini-tour of the city and made several recommendations for taverns, restaurants, pubs, etc. His recommendations were spot on!!! This was a great weekend and we hope to return soon!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear Lori W:

Thank you for posting your feedback. I am happy you enjoyed your stay and that you found our historical ambiance to be appropriate. I was more happy to read what a great job that Zach did for you; I till be sure to pass on my thanks to both him and his manager.

We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Thank you.

Mike Radike

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Downingtown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

We returned to the Governor Calvert Inn because the Inn and its staff are superb! Period. The location is perfect for walking around Annapolis. The room was clean, the price was fine and the staff were exceptional. We will be back soon.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Walter S:

Thank you for posting your comments. I was very happy to read how pleased you were with not only our location but the quality of our team and facility as well.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Really loved it... Great little place in the heart of downtown Annapolis, very nice spacious rooms and accommodations, fantastic location and an amazingly friendly staff. Highly recommend it to one and all.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Jason H:

Thank you for your feedback. I was delighted to read of your recent experience at the Historic Inns and very happy our staff did such a great job for you. Our location is the best in downtown Annapolis and we work daily to ensure our team’s service focus matches that!

zehutiman
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

Just a heads-up. While I've stayed at the Maryland Inn before, this time I wanted to stay in the Governor Calvert House. I made my reservations. After a few days, I noticed I hadn't rec'd an email confirmation, so I called and asked for one -- nothing arrived. I forgot about it for almost 2 months, then I called again and asked for the confirmation -- nothing. So I called again, and again, and again. Finally, I spoke to CY who managed to email me the confirmation. About two weeks later, while perusing the email, I noticed the confirmation showed a room in the Robert Johnson House which is not what I wanted, or asked for (?). I called and, you guessed it, too late for a room at the Governor Calvert House. I'm a bit frustrated with the experience and, the cynical side of me wonders if the email delay, etc., was not a coincidence. I've got no choice now, but I'm hopeful it'll be a great stay -- I'll let you know, but so far...meh.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Zehutiman:

Thank you for your feedback. I apologize for my delay in responding. I was able to speak with CY about your email correspondence and from that able to retrieve additional information. Your future reservation has always been made for a room in the Robert Johnson House with two beds; there is a note in the reservation with a request for the Governor Calvert House which we will do our best to fulfill. I have share your comments as you have stated them with members of our reservation desk and we will use them as a training tool in our reservation protocols; i.e., repeating back to a guest what they have booked at the end of the call as an example.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I couldn't have asked for a better hotel experience. We traveled to Annapolis for our two year anniversary, we were staying in town for just one night and so i needed everything perfect. I called to arrange for a bottle of champagne in the room and mike the manager -- a true mensch -- upgraded us and went to such an effort to make sure the champagne was perfectly chilled when we arrived after a long car ride. We walked into our suite and the staff had made little towel swans, put flowers by the tub, and we had a lovely hand written note of congratulations waiting on the desk in the room. The staff seemed to genuinely care that we felt welcome and taken care of. Such a rarity these days. The room was very nice for the price and the service, from valets to receptionists was prompt, courteous and professional. If we're ever back in Annapolis we will surely be back to this inn.

Stayed July 2014
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear Rberkee:

Thank you for your comments. I am very appreciate that our team did such a great job making your stay so special; and for such an important occasion. The hand written note was certainly a very nice touch and I “tip my hat” to the initiative displayed by my team in getting that done!

I wish you the best on the upcoming year and look forward to seeing you again – perhaps for #3!

Thank you.

Altamonte Springs, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Although this was my first (and last) stay, my husband has been to this hotel three times, with each time being worse than before. The only thing I can say nice about this hotel is that it is close to the historic sites of Annapolis and a short walking distance to the lovely wharf and pier. But that is where the positive part of this review ends.

For the price of the hotel, the rooms are extremely small with very little storage space. The same goes for the bathroom--it was almost as small as an airline bathroom with a shower attached. We had to move the tissue box into the main part of the room just to have some space to put our toiletries. (See pictures).

The furnishings are extremely old and in dire need of updating (see pics). The pillows were extremely old, stained, and dingy and looked as if they haven't been changed in a while. The housekeeping was marginal. On the second day of our stay, the housekeeping staff didn't even remove the dirty glasses and did a sloppy job of making our bed.

Another complaint that we had was that even though the hotel had free wifi, the signal was poor and we were unable to check news or email by using the hotel wifi. When my husband called the staff at the main building to report the problem, someone at the front desk told him to call the tech support on the card to report the problem, which brings me to my next point:

Customer service in this hotel is terrible. With the exception of the valet who drove us when we first checked in (whose name was Patrick, he was great and even made restaurant recommendations for us when we arrived), most of the service was either poor or non-existent. We had to wait over 20 minutes for someone to check our car on the second night and the day of checkout, the female valet casually handed us our bill and just walked away. I had to chase her into the hotel to find out how we could settle our bill. For the most part there was no urgency or quality of service--most of the employees we encountered acted as if they could care less if we needed anything.

Another complaint we had was that there was no staff at the Maryland Inn to address any issues. We either had to call or walk all the way to Calvert house to settle any issues, including the issue we had on our bill.

There are absolutely no amenities on site. They even charge you to use their computer and printer in their business center which I have never experienced before.

The billing was even wrong. They charged us for long distance phone calls that we didn't make but did remove them when asked.

If you are just looking to spend a lot of money for a room to sleep, this is the place to stay; otherwise, I would avoid this hotel entirely. Definitely not worth the money or headaches.

Room Tip: If you need space, reserve a suite. The regular rooms are extremely small and have tiny bathrooms.
Dear Maris R:

Thank you for your comments. I apologize that you had such a disappointing stay with us. I respect your opinion on the variety of concerns you expressed and certainly acknowledge you raise some valid points. I have copied your comments as you posted them and will go over them with our team so that we can improve our operation.

Your experience is atypical of the over 600 other reviews we have garnered and we will work to do a better job.

Thank you for taking the time to write.

Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed at the Governor Calvert House and we were happy with the experience. It's the best location if you are in Annapolis for tourism, State House business, St John's College, or the Academy. The staff are friendly and helpful. The valet parking made it easy and well worth the expense. The air conditioner worked well and was not too noisy. The bed was very comfortable. The decor reminds you of Great Auntie's living room and should be refreshed. The complimentary coffee and pastries in the morning is a really nice touch. If you are looking for modern luxury, then stay at Lowes otherwise I would recommend the Inns of Annapolis.

Dear Nicholas S:

Thank you for posting your comments about your recent stay. I was very pleased to read you found our location, quality of service, and overall historical atmosphere to be such a positive experience.

We value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Sincerely,

Mike Radike

Been to Historic Inns of Annapolis? Share your experiences!