“Perfect location for an USNA Weekend!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
20% Off | WEB SPECIAL
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Annapolis
Chicago, IL
“Perfect location for an USNA Weekend!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Main Street is the perfect location for all the fun and access to the Naval Academy and Stadium. I didn't need my car the whole weekend so I didn't have any issues with valet. Walked everwhere and had access to everything. The bars were packed but you could still get in them. I stayed in the Maryland Inn and was on the fourth floor. It was a small room but very cozy and suited my needs. The bathroom was tiny but fine for one person. I am not sure 2 people could feel comfortable sharing a room that size but I didn't need to. There was some noise, but I turned the fan on in the rooms window unit and it drowned out any noise from the street or the hallway. The room was also away from the elevator and the stairs so I didn't have any of those issues. I didn't use any other amenities like the business center or visit the other locations except for check in at the Calvert House. The staff was friendly and accommodating but since I didn't have any issues I didn't deal with them very much. I did have to leave my car in valet after check out time and they were helpful letting it stay there for a few hours past. I also left my bag in the business center at the Maryland Inn and that was taken care of by Michelle a very pleasant staff member. Being in Annapolis for Marine Corp Ball (did not attend but Marines and their dates were everywhere), Veteran's Day Weekend and Navy Football was energetic and jam packed with things to do. All I wanted was a comfy bed at the end of a long yet fun weekend and that is what I got. Also, if you are visiting a Midshipman anything on Mainstreet is easy for them to get back and forth from especially at bar time.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Rocket-Awesome:
Thank you for your feedback, and for the great detail in your response. I was very pleased to read that our team did a great job for you and that our location in the heart of Historic Downtown Annapolis worked out so well. You did in fact pick a great weekend to come in; the level of energy in the City, as you noted we really great. The convergence of a home Navy football game, a long Veteran’s Day weekend, and the Marine Corp Ball made for a really exciting time.

We value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Thanks!
Mike Radike

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Fredericksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I always stay at the Historic Inns of Annapolis when I go to Annapolis, Maryland, because they do a wonderful job of using and protecting historic structures, the rooms are beautiful, the service is excellent, and the rates are reasonable. Not to mention the ambiance, with the historic Maryland capitol building just across or down the street, depending on which of their buildings your room is in.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Dear Clementine21:

Thank you for your great comments. Every so often a review such as yours is posted which does a great job summarizing the unique venue that is the Historic Inns of Annapolis. We are very proud of our hotel and I am particularly proud of the effort our team makes day in and day out to ensure we take care of not only the physical buildings with which we have been entrusted but of our guests as well. Our guests help to make our historical venue a vibrant, energetic part of Downtown Annapolis.

We appreciate your patronage and look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Thank you.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I stayed at the Governor Calvert House for a wedding October 25-27, 2013. It is a beautiful and charming place with great staff. I will get the warning out of the way by saying, there are stairs just inside the door to some rooms! Although there is a sign on the door that says watch your step, it was painted the same color as the door with the lettering in relief. I was traveling with my 88-year-old mother who uses a cane so thank God I walked in first. We were with the bellman, and he said "Watch your Step" as I entered the room but it was too late. I was looking not at my feet but at the beautiful room and I hit the hard wooden floor before I knew what was happening. I can't believe this has not happened before. TWO STEPS! From a safety perspective I think it would be very important to have a clearer sign and if the bellman is with you for him to say "There are two steps immediately upon entering the room". This warning needs to be specific! The bellman was very concerned and ran to get me ice, but I was very sore the whole time we were there. Black and blue. I love historic buildings, and it is ok that there were stairs but so immediately inside the door? You HAVE to warn people! That said, the room was huge and had a couch and 2 armchairs and a non-working fireplace. Absolutely stunning. My mother complimented the bed for comfort and I slept on the pullout sofa which was fine. The wedding we attended there was gorgeous. Could not have been nicer. It is an easy walk to restaurants and not too far from the harbor. I would definitely stay there again. Just please improve your notice to guests about the architectural features!

Room Tip: Our room faced the street and it was great!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear thedeb:

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay. I am sorry that you tripped entering your room but was glad to read you noted both the sign on the door next to the door knob about the steps and the bellman’s verbal comment as well. I certainly hope you are better. Your suggestion about a different color on the sign is one I will look at as this would draw even more attention to it. I was pleased to read you found the room to be very nice and that you otherwise enjoyed your stay.

We appreciate your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Thank you.

Lewes, DE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

When you look out of the room windows you feel as if you are being transported back in time. All the features and comforts of a modern hotel with all the Old World Charm of Historic Annapolis! Walking distance to the waterfront and many restaurants, shops, and history! The staff are professional, friendly, and accommodating.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear crazy4running:

Thank you for your contribution. You have done a great job capturing the sentiment we hear from many of our guests about their stays with us. We are absolutely not the normal experience and will continue to strive to achieve ratings of “5” in all measured categories.

We appreciate your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to us again soon.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

My husband and I held our wedding here in September and had an amazing experience here. We loved our stay here and heard many positive feedback from our friends/family. We loved the historic feel of the property; the rooms had a nice decor to them. The location is ideal - It is walkable to many the Naval Academy, many cute restaurants and shops. You don't need a car all weekend. The staff would go above and beyond to help you with anything.

I stayed in two different rooms at the Governor Calvert House during my two night stay; both were absolutely amazing. The honeymoon suite was beyond amazing. Some people complained about the size of the bathrooms but I didn't think they were that bad; especially, considering the time period inn was built. My 4 bridesmaids shared one room with 2 double beds. The double beds appeared smaller than most and it was probably a tight fit. The beds were comfy though.

Our only con would be the parking/valet service. When we arrived, we had to go around the circle multiple times just to be ale to pull up and talk to someone at the valet service/drop off our car. At this point, by the time we dropped off the car/unloaded it we were frazzled and completely stressed out. This delay made us almost late for our meeting/rehearsal.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Skigal08:

Thank you for posting your feedback about your recent stay and wedding with us. First, congratulations on your recent marriage! We are honored that you chose the Historic Inns to be a part of this very special day and I am so happy that things went so well.

Thank you for your feedback on the valet parking; at times the State Circle road can be busy and, due to limited space in front of the hotel which we have to share with other businesses we do occasionally ask that people drive around and come back to us. It is difficult for us to hold a space when another car may be in front of yours but we will continue to move cars in and out as quickly and safely as possible.

I hope you have had a relaxing honeymoon and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Thank you.

Trenton, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

This hotel is 3 separate buildings placed around old downtown Annapolis. My room was large, with big closet space, a great bed. It is an old building with older furnishings (a 'period' type room) but there was wear and tear on the furniture itself.
Housecleaning was ok, though I found evidence of a prior guest in the closet...ticket stubs and such. The hotel does provide a shuttle service. The area of the hotel is near many restaurants and shops, as well as the harbor.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear retailbarry:

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us. I am sorry that your room had several issues related to cleanliness and I will share you feedback with our Director of Housekeeping so that he can correct this error. I appreciate you letting me know.

I was pleased to read you found our service and location to be excellent, and we will continue to focus on doing better in all areas. We value our business and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

St. Catharines, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

We spent two nights in Room 314 of the Governor Calvert House in October. On the plus side, the room was spacious, well-appointed and had a lovely view of the State House. On the down side, the washroom was small but sufficient. Moreover, this is a hotel and the walls are thin so I heard BOTH sides of a late night telephone conversation coming from the adjoining room. The hotel's location is very convenient to all of the attractions in historic Annapolis. The price of the room was very reasonable and valet parking is worth the $24 they charged. You don't need a car unless you're going to dinner in Eastport.

Room Tip: Room 314 of Gov. Calvert House is an historic room. It has nice furnishings, great light and a spec...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
mradike1, General Manager at Historic Inns of Annapolis, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear pickascreennamea:

Thank you for your feedback during your recent stay at the Governor Calvert House while in Annapolis. I was very pleased to read you enjoyed your room but am sorry that you were disturbed by noise from an adjoining room. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention and am sorry this happened.

I agree with your assessment of our valet parking process and with the quality of our location; you simply walk out our front door and everything in Historic Downtown Annapolis is within a 10 minute walk, depending on your stride. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you again.

Mike Radike

Been to Historic Inns of Annapolis? Share your experiences!