“Impressive, but lacking customer service.” 4 of 5 stars

Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Annapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Impressive, but lacking customer service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

My sister chose this hotel for her Wedding in July so my entire family stayed here.
The hotel is quite impressive from the outside and we were greeting immediately from the valet. (Parking, however, is far less expensive in a public lot under the Westin, which is a self park garage with easy access to the hotel).
The availability of luggage racks was sparse and we could never seem to get one. We called for a bellhop and waited for about 20 minutes and never did have one arrive.
The staff at the front desk was not pleasant upon check-in. A smile would have been appreciated.
Rooms were clean and spacious. We had a view of the graveyard, even when I requested to not have the graveyard view. (I am also a SPG member and was told that there is a special floor for SPG members but I was not given a room, even upon request.) The girl at check-in told me that I could not stay there since I used my government/military discount to book my room.
Housekeeping: Housekeeping was wonderful. The room was always clean and well equipped. I even spilled my drink one evening trying to get into my room. Our housekeeper was in the hallway and she came right away to help, even though I did not expect her too.
Room Service: We used room service twice during our stay. The wait was excessive both times. The second time, we ordered dessert and the ice cream was complete liquid. The gentleman seemed shocked that I would ask for a new bowl of it. He did return a second time but it was almost nearly melted that time too. At this point it was late and were frustrated so we just decided to let it go and not order anymore room service.
Lobby/Bar: The lobby is very nice and the bar is cozy too. I had no problems with service or drinks there.
There are a few restaurants right outside the front doors of the hotel. This was convenient for a quick lunch. The Aveda salon is also outside of the hotel and we spent a morning there as we were in the wedding party. Downtown Annapolis is a short drive or 10 minute cab ride away. There is a free shuttle but it was always full or never available when we needed. it.
We had breakfast at the hotel both days. There is a menu or a buffet option. We had the buffet both days & the food was good.
Checkout: called for a bellhop but one never arrived (again).
Checkout at the front was uneventful for me, but they charged my Father for Valet parking for 4 nights when he self-parked each day. It took about 15 minutes to get a manager and then we had to prove that he paid in the self-park lot so that they would not charge him for valet.
To summarize, the rooms were very nice but service is lacking. Maybe the Westin should take some tips from the Fairmont Hotel chain in the service department if they really want this place to shine.
I will look elsewhere when returning to Annapolis.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Annapolis_9, General Manager at Westin Annapolis, responded to this review, February 3, 2011
Thank you to our guest from Wilmington, N.C. for sharing your feedback. We were certainly honored to be a part of your sister’s wedding in July, 2010.

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share many aspects of your visit. As we are constantly reviewing on ways to improve, your feedback is much valued.

Your comments (both positive and constructive) has been shared with the appropriate members of our staff. Although the experience was six months ago, your comments will allow us to ensure we discuss and prevent such issues in the future, especially regarding the delivery of room service and availability of luggage carts.

A friendly and attentive staff is paramount and we’ll look towards improving on any lack of either moving forward.

Our housekeeping team will appreciate your remarks on cleanliness as we hold this as a very critical priority throughout our operations.

Once again, thank you. We do hope to be of service should you decide to return to Annapolis. We strive to provide the very best in both service and facility and hope to have you return. Please do not hesitate to call on us if we may be of assistance.

Kind Regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Hertfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

We stayed here for one night. It is an excellent hotel, extremely comfortable within 20 minutes walk of the centre of Annapolis. Westgate Circle itself is a pleasant area with restaurants. There is a car park underneath the hotel which was not expensive if you are staying there.
Rooms are very large and well equipped. We had breakfast in the restaurant which was good. We didn't eat at the hotel in the evening as we wanted to see the town.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you to our guest from Hertfordshire! We appreciate your comments and are grateful that you chose to stay with us while visiting Annapolis.

I will be sharing your comments with our entire staff and I know that everyone will be happy to know that you enjoyed your visit.

Our goal is to ensure that you leave feeling renewed and refreshed and that we work to exceed your expectations in both service and facilities.

Glad you enjoyed the town of Annapolis. There are many sites to see easily within walking distance. And if walking is too much, we offer a complimentary shuttle service to downtown and the city dock area.

Thank you again for your feedback. We hope that you will return to Annapolis soon! Please feel free to call on us if we may be of assistance.

All the best.
Hyannis, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

My husband and I recently stayed for two nights at the hotel and had an excellent experience. The management should be very proud of the staff that they have assembled. From the time you pull up to the front of the hotel and are greeted by the valet people to entering the lobby...the "tone" of the hotel is one of friendly hospitality...what can we do for you!

Several people did stand out..AJ (front desk) and Rick (conciege, bellman, all around great King of Hospitality!). AJ checked us in efficiently and whenever I saw him during our stay he always had a smile and asked "is there anything you need". Rick gave us a quick tour of the city on the map provided - letting us know the "places to go" . And all of his recommendations were perfect. I also can't say enough about the valet fellows and shuttle drivers. The shuttle service proved to be perfect - we didn't want to drive the short distace to town. The various shuttle drivers gave us great recommendations and we never had to wait more than a few minutes to be picked up.

I have never been to hotel where the staff seemed to be genuinely happy - and had smiles all the time!

We had our little black dog traveling with us and she absolutley loved the Heavenly Dog Bed! Also the treats that she kept getting from AJ at the front desk!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Annapolis_9, General Manager at Westin Annapolis, responded to this review, January 21, 2011
To our guests from Hyannis,

Thank you very much for your kind comments on the service you received while visiting Annapolis! We greatly appreciate that you chose us to be your host hotel.

I can assure you that we are very proud of our staff members who work to consistently go above and beyond in helping to allow our guests to feel at home and comfortable. I will be excited to share your feedback directly with AJ, Rick, and our entire team.

Thank you again for choosing the Westin Annapolis! Please do not hesitate to contact us directly if we may be of assistance…hope to see you back soon!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for New Year's and we had purchased the special package. The package included one standard room, dinner at the hotel restaurant, Azure, a bottle of champagne, valet parking and brunch the following morning at Azure.

Almost every aspect of our stay was excellent. The room we received was very clean and very comfortable. There was plenty of space four our luggage and personal items. The only down side to the room was that the mini fridge was kept locked unless you wanted to purchase mini bar items from the hotel. The champagne was delivered to our room in the early evening and it was a very nice bottle for being complimentary. The valet service was also excellent. I had forgotten an item in the car and the valet brought the car back around and offered to bring the item up to our room. The hotel shuttle,which is operated by the valets, drove us from the hotel to Main St. for the night and picked us up within minutes of placing a call to the front desk.

The only part of the package I was less than thrilled with was the dinner and brunch at Azure. This isn't a restaurant in a hotel, but a restaurant operated by hotel staff. The staff was unaware of the package options and thus needed to find out what we were allowed to order for both dinner and brunch. Then, the service was mediocre at best because it seemed they did not have enough people working. The food was good, but better food can definitley be had elsewhere in Annapolis.

I would stay at this hotel again in a heartbeat, I just wouldn't purchase a package. Azure would be a goodplace to hang out and have a drink, but it isn't worth going to for dinner or breakfast.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
To our guests from Philadelphia,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback and experience while visiting with us.

We will be sharing your input with our entire team to thank those who helped to make your visit enjoyable. In addition, we will be reviewing your feedback regarding our restaurant in order to ensure a more positive experience in the future.

Thank you again and please do not hesitate to call on us if we may be of service in the future. We will look forward to your return!

All the best.
North, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2010

We stayed here over the Christmas holiday. From the moment we arrived, the staff was excellent. Every person that we came into contact with was so gracious and really tried to make you feel at home. The person at the front desk was so welcoming, as was the doorman and shuttle driver. But, it really was just everyone that we came into contact with. The rooms are very nice and clean which you would expect for an upper end hotel. Also, this property accepts pets at no extra fee. We have a well trained little dog and really hate to leave her behind. At most hotels that accept pets, they try to charge an exhorbitant fee and you never really feel as if they want your pet there. This place is different, I saw many animals and they all seemed very well behaved. The next time we come to this area again, we will definately stay here.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Annapolis_9, General Manager at Westin Annapolis, responded to this review, December 28, 2010
Thank you to our guests from Charlotte, North Carolina!

We’re glad you chose to stay with us while in the area for the holidays. I will be sharing your feedback with the entire team as I know that they will appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

Great to hear that you were able to bring your smaller “family member” along to enjoy the area as well.

Please feel free to call on us if we may be of assistance for any future stays...Annapolis and our surrounding area has much to see anytime of the year!

All the best to you throughout the upcoming year!

Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

No matter what request we made of "A.J." and staff we never heard "NO". He and the staff made our stay very pleasant even thought we were in Annapolis for a funeral. I believe the ladies name who assisted was Teresa?

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Annapolis_9, General Manager at Westin Annapolis, responded to this review, November 17, 2010
Thank you to our guest from Silver Spring, MD. For sharing your feedback!

Our belated condolences for the reason of your visit to Annapolis. We are pleased to see that your stay was enjoyable and we’ll definitely being sharing your comments with our entire staff; especially with A.J. and Terressa!

We do hope that you will be able to return as time allows to hopefully enjoy the many sites to see.

Thank you again. Please do not hesitate to call on us if we can be of assistance in making arrangements for a future visit!

Best to you and your family.
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2010

Service, guest services were outstanding, from valets extremely cheerful greeting despite very adverse weather he mad one feel at home. Sarah at check-in was a pleasure to work with and went the extra mile to accomodate the needs for recently handicapped services I have had to endure. I have never been a Westin patron before but now am sold.
I thank you all for a superb visit, thank you, thank you,.....thank you!
v/r
Jim Burnside

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
To our guest from Tampa, FL. Thank you for taking the time to go on line and share your feedback! We’ll be excited to share your comments with our entire staff…especially Sarah for going the extra mile in assisting you.

Thank you for choosing us to be your host hotel while in Annapolis. We wish you all the best in your future and hope to see you again. Please do not hesitate to call on us if we may be of assistance!