“Beautiful but Unwelcoming” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Rochester, NY
“Beautiful but Unwelcoming”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Our family of 4 spent one night in Annapolis as a 1/2 way stop on a 16 hour drive home. We arrived around 2 PM for check in and no one greeted me as we approached to check in. Both women just looked at me and waited for me to start the conversation. As this was our first time in Annapolis I asked for recommendations for crab as Annapolis is supposed to be "crab town." She offered one restaurant but did not seem like she really wanted to help us.

The room was VERY clean and had a great spa-like bathroom. We also enjoyed having the free trolley outside the hotel so we could avoid parking at the city dock. It could be a great hotel if they were just a little more friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
ChefBarrett, Manager at Westin Annapolis, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Hello to our friends in Rochester!
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Westin Annapolis.
We never like to hear that we missed the mark with our guests, but when we do we like to use those instances as training for our team so we don't make the same mistakes again.
We realize that everyone has plenty of choices to make when traveling and thank you for choosing us while you visited "crab town". We can only hope that, should your travels bring you back, you give us the opportunity to show you how it should and can be done.
We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Annapolis!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I was at this hotel for 5 days on business. The area is nice, right next to a civil war cemetary and several restaurants. There is a free trolly that runs down to the historic part of town and the USNA. The hotel was clean, with fresh cold flavored water in the lobby. The lobby was open and inviting. The front desk and lobby staff was friendly enough, but never engaged us unless we spoke to them. The valets and doormen always had a greeting. The parking in this hotel is a little bit of a scam. Self parking in $10.00 but does not include in and out priveleges. And as the lot is not owned by the hotel, though it is below the hotel, they will not charge parking to the room. This would be nice to know in advance and this kept the hotel from a higher rating in my eyes.

The lobby bar was nice and comfortable and the food was good. The room was nica and very clean. Another issue I had was that the gym was closed. Though they offered the use of a gym about a 10 minute drive away, this would mean paying $20.00 per day for parking or a cab. Again, I wish I had this information in advance.

All in all a decent stay, but a few minor things could have made it a great stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Savannah, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We drove about 500 miles to pick up my son from a summer Naval Academy program. The Westin was very nice. The rooms were quiet, well appointed and the beds were very comfortable. The staff was helpful and friendly. The breakfast was decent, although you better get there earlier rather than later. The location was an easy walk to downtown and there is a shuttle that also runs every 15-30 minutes, so didn't need the car much at all. We did not eat any other meal there as the restaurant was being renovated. We also did not require housekeeping so can't comment, but it was clean to start. We enjoyed a drink in the bar and the service was very good. Overall we enjoyed it and would stay here again.

yardley pa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Stayed for a weekend family function and was a bit disappointed.

Location is not walk out the door into the main shopping, historic area. There is a free shuttle, but not a location if you want to walk out the door and be in town. Not really walking distance.

Common area was minimal. When we were there we had young kids running and screaming in the lobby, high school kids swinging lacrosse sticks (two people hit) and no one from the hotel ever said anything.

Housekeeping was OK, but you expect more than OK from a Westin.

As far as rooms go, definitely ask for a high floor with a view of the front courtyard.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a high floor with a view of the front courtyard.
Cody, Wyoming
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

What I appreciated most about my stay at this Westin was how quiet it was. I'd been staying in more "family-friendly" hotels, and it was nice to have a quiet night's rest without kids running up and down the hallways. Even the ice machine is behind a sound-blocking door so as not to disturb guests. The beds are unbeatable for comfort. I have to say that the bathroom was a little dirty, and there were some remnants of snacks under the bed...made me wonder how thorough housekeeping really is. But nice double-headed shower and tasteful decor. Ice water in lobby is filled with fruit (strawberries, oranges, lemons, etc.). We took the free trolley bus to downtown Annapolis near the Naval Academy and State House and that was great. If you forget your workout clothes, they have clothes and New Balance shoes you can rent for $5. I'd recommend staying here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed at the Westin Annapolis back in May. Very nice and new hotel. The rooms are a good size and there's a restaurant/bar located in the hotel. The location is okay. About 2 miles from the downtown area, but there's a free shuttle that picks up guests right outside the hotel and takes you downtown. Would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
pgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights the first weekend in June. Location is good as you have the free Annapolis circulator right at the door. They also have free bicycles available, but we didn't use these so I can's comment on them.
The lobby bar was nice with fair prices. The bartender, Mark, was great.
I got a good rate on Expedia (if you can call it good) for $220 a night. It was non-cancellation rate meaning you paid up front and if you couldn't make it for any reason, too bad.
I'm not one for high priced fancy hotels. Marble floors and stiff check-in clerks do nothing for me. The check-in clerk, while courteous, had no personality.
The halls were dark and drab. There is no nice view.
The issues I had were, even though I paid $220 a night, they still charge to park. When we arrived there 2 luggage racks to take your luggage to the room. There was a man sitting on each of them. They didn't appear to have uniforms on. We felt that we were being forced to tip someone to take luggage to room. Thankfully we packed well and were able to take our luggage without assistance. On checkout, II tried to obtain one just for ease. However, when I went outside, one was sitting with cardboard boxes on it. I observed a valet taking one to a room. There were no others. When I inquired about obtaining one, I was told they were all in use. Really? This large, fancy hotel with only 2 luggage racks? I've stayed at beautiful Holiday Inns with 10 racks in the lobby and nobody sitting on them making you feel you had to tip to use them.
There were valets out front who, when you pull up, ask more than once "Do you want to use the valet", which cost $23 a night vs.$10 for the garage. To unpack and take your luggage to the room, you have to leave your keys with the valet. When I came back outside after taking luggage to room, they moved my car. At first I thought they valeted my car forcing me to pay $23 for valet, but it was just moved.
There is mention of having a stocked refrigerator with cost for items in it. Upon complaints, the items have been removed and you can request the fridge. The fridge is locked, even though empty. Therefore they have a mini fridge in room you can't use. I've stayed at hotels for half this price with free fridge.
They offer a free bathrobe to wear. Who cares?
Housekeepers have their cleaning carts in middle of hallway. When checking in or out you have to maneuver around them. They don't keep garbage bags in the garbage cans.
All in all an OK place to stay considering the high cost of all hotels and B&B's in Annapolis.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Westin Annapolis? Share your experiences!