“"Atmo" to Spare, Good Service, Crab Cakes & Sides Unimpressive” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 308 Restaurants in Annapolis
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Washington DC
“"Atmo" to Spare, Good Service, Crab Cakes & Sides Unimpressive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

When I went in for lunch, the place was crowded, but I was seated right away. If Chick and Ruth's Delly were a person, it'd be a real character, with "personality" to spare. I credit the waitstaff, who are friendly and down-to-Earth. The service was very good. I ordered the crab cake platter, with French fries and cole slaw. The fries were average. Cole slaw was tepid, rather than cold, as it should have been. I was glad to see that the large crab cake served to me was broiled, rather than fried, and eagerly anticipated enjoying a delicacy of the Chesapeake Bay. This crab cake contained lots of tiny bits of crab meat, plus parts of crab innards (namely that green stuff) that normally aren't put in crab cakes--all bound together by what *looked* like a mixture of tartar sauce, mayonnaise and Russian dressing. It tasted like a salty glob--not at all what I would have expected of a place that dubs itself "Crab Cake Central." I regret not having sent it back,. With Coca-Cola (delicious and properly carbonated and mixed), tax and tip, this meal came out to around $20.00. "Atmo" to spare, but not a good value. Because I've been there just once, I'm going to err on the side of generosity and give it an overall rating of "average," rather than "poor," pending a return trip.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Little River, South Carolina
“Good Food, Fun Atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Been wanting to try this place for a while. Stopped I'm last Saturday for lunch. They were very busy, as usual, but we got a small table for 2 right in the middle of the place. Server was busy but very pleasant and friendly. We ordered two sandwiched and a shake. The chocolate shake was rich, very flavorful and delicious. I had the pastrami, corned beef and swiss on rye. WOW!, lots of meat, perfectly steamed and very flavorful. The kosher dill pickles on the table were authentic and tasted fantastic. My wife had the main street sandwich with pastrami and Cole slaw, also a big hit. Very small place, very friendly staff and very unique. The freshly made glazed doughnuts looked great, maybe next time when we come in to try breakfast.

• Visited June 2013
markyz
“Must of ordered the wrong thing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

They were lined up out the door so we knew this is what we wanted. It was brunch so we ordered their famous crab omelet. It was only so,so. Not lump crab like people describe in the crab cakes. Kind of a mushy, salty crab mix. The place itself is typical deli--fast, crowded, and loud. We loved it. Just not the food so much.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Mmmmmmm....giant hamburger.......”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I should have gotten the challenge burger instead of the two pounder. The meat was cooked so well that I could've easily shoveled it down. Then I'd have an awesome shirt to cover my happy stomach with. The shakes are great too, of course. The peanut butter cup one was wicked good. It's fairly crowded, rather busy, but the waitresses are good at what they do and pleasant. I'll totally be back to eat the other half of a cow.

Greenwich, ct
“Noisy, crowded but great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

It was a long weekend, so probably the crowd was thicker than normal, but it took 30 minutes to get a table.
The service was particularly fast, and although not exceptional, the waitress was competent and precise.
The reuben sandwich was pretty good, so were the crab cakes.
If you are in town and not in a hurry, this is a place to try!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere