“A major turn-around” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Normandie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #53 of 296 restaurants in Annapolis
Cross street: Conduit Street
Annapolis, MD
“A major turn-around”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I hadn't been to Cafe Normandie for a couple of years because my previous 2 visits were extremely disappointing. Wow, what a difference. My duck and fruit tart were delicious. The ones with me who had the scallops, beef Wellington, roast chicken, and crab bisque had nothing but raves. The service was friendly yet very professional. Sitting by the fire was a treat on a cold(ish) night. I won't wait another 2 years for a follow up visit.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

69% Recommend
Severn, Maryland
“Delicious Food; Rude Hostess”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Our special dinner, Chateaubriand for 2, was delicious and our server Nathan gave us outstanding service. However, the evening was marred by the frosty attitude from the hostess. We arrived at 5:25 p.m. on a Sunday for a 5:30 p.m. reservation and were seated at a small table for 2 next to the only other occupied table in that section of the restaurant. We requested a different table and the hostess was snippy and said all other tables were reserved. But, all other tables remained empty during our entire dinner! It makes no sense to seat the only 2 couples in this section about 12 inches away from each other when plenty of other tables were open. That said, the food was outstanding and this would have been a 5 star review if not for the rude hostess.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Annapolis, Maryland
“Service is horrible and pretentious”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My entire family had dinner last month at cafe normandie to celebrate my husbands birthday and couldn't have been more disappointed. We made a reservation and still had to wait for 45 minutes because they were understaffed. Upon ordering drinks our french waiter was very rude and condescending towards our entire family for not ordering wine. It was especially uncomfortable for my husband because he is a recovering alcoholic. It was really inappropriate the way our waiter continued to push alcohol on us after explaining we were just not interested. After our food arrived we saw this waiter of ours only once when he came by to explain that he was very busy taking care of a very important party upstairs!? I guess unless you're drinking he has no interest in your table. Which explains why my father had to walk over to the hostess stand to request that our water glasses be filled twice during our meal. It was just a horrible experience and our family will never return to this establishment.

• Visited November 2012
Edgewater, Maryland
“The hostess needs to go and management needs to step up!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Husband and I had dinner there a few weeks ago - our server and food was excellent. The bathrooms need a major renovation. Both my husband and I found them to be a bit disconcerting however we still returned a couple weeks later with our two teens -once again making reservations- the snooty hostess stuck us upstairs in the cold, drafty "attic like" area by ourselves (I'm guessing she saw my prior review) to which we complained - there were open tables downstairs. She said - the service would be better up there??? We debated what to do - she left and then returned to slam down some votive candles as if that would enhance our dining experience, still no server- so we left and went a couple spots down Main St to Osteria 177-whose food and service NEVER disappoints! We won't be back! Management needs to pay attention to the details given the many negative reviews.

• Visited December 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Baltimore, MD
“Has Gone Downhill...Sadly”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

This is not the Cafe Normandie that I remember. My husband and I had dinner here last month. The service was so poor that I just couldn't believe it! Our waiter was not good at all--took way too long for him to bring us drinks, to take our order (this was really bad), then our food, and he forgot to bring cream and sugar to the table for my coffee. On a couple occasions he had a light bulb go off in his head and he'd say--"I'll be right back"--and then we didn't see him. The food was just ok. I really miss the cinnamon-laced coffee that was a signature for Cafe Normandie. I'm sorry to report this, however, there are much better restaurants in Annapolis so don't waste a meal on anything sub par.

• Visited November 2012