“Thrilled with O'Callaghan's” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Annapolis
Lake Charles, Louisiana
“Thrilled with O'Callaghan's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I am from this area....moved away 10 months ago after living here all my life. Never did I think I would have the best trip of my life visiting Annapolis! The O'Callaghan Hotel played a huge part in this experience. The rooms are very nice, the beds & pillows very comfortable, & having a deck was amazing! But, the nicest part was the staff of this hotel. They made this trip outstanding! Everyone from front desk to valet parking was kind & helpful. Bryant, who I believe is the day manager was absolutely the best. He made everything we requested happen! Because of him....we will make the O'Callaghan Hotel a part of our new tradition every year!

Room Tip: We had two rooms.....both were just fine.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Robert R, Manager at O'Callaghan Hotel Annapolis, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Wanda C,

The staff and I would like to thank you for the wonderful review. I will be sure to pass on the great comment about Bryant to him. He is truly one of our stars. We look forward to seeing you next year.

robert.russell@ocallaghanhotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Upper Darby, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband and I were first time visitors to Annapolis MD. We thought this was a great hotel. Centrally located, very nice staff, great valet parking and very clean. I have read other reviews where people are complaining about the view. You are really not in Annapolis to look at the view from your hotel window. The view is on the streets and down by the dock. This hotel is walking distance to everything there is to see in town. We didn't spend a lot of time in the room we were busy having fun in town. Next visit we will stay two nights. You really need that time to get acclimated to the area. The free trolley stops at every corner and even in the middle of the block. Just wave them down. The drivers are so friendly and give great pointers on the town. The town itself is full of pubs and shops. We did have breakfast at the hotel and thoroughly enjoyed the buffet breakfast. Much nicer than the average buffet at chain hotels. I really have to stay the staff at O'Callaghan's is five stars. That really makes a trip. I would highly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: We stayed on the fifth floor and thought it very nice. The wifi is excellent in the hotel!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Robert R, Manager at O'Callaghan Hotel Annapolis, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear lifesbeach,

Thank you for the five star review. I appreciate your comments about our offerings and staff. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Annapolis.

Clearwater, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I always stay at this lovely hotel when I return to Annapolis for a visit which is usually every other year. The hotel is located right in the heart of everything which means you can walk most everywhere to restaurants, shops, the waterfront. The rooms are large and comfortable and were very clean. The service people were very friendly and helpful and will ferry you to the waterfront if it is raining or to cold. You can park right at the hotel which is also very handy. They have a very nice lounge and restaurant in the hotel and the food is very good. I would recommend this hotel to anyone for its comfort, location and value. I would also recommend visiting Annapolis for the experience of a lifetime.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
katie2shoes,

Thank you for the wonderful review. We look forward to seeing you again.

Pickerington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We liked this hotel and would return. The location is so convenient; in fact, we never took the free trolley, but instead chose to walk to and from the dock area. It's such a pleasant walk and less than fifteen minutes. The front desk staff is friendly and efficient. Our valet was speedy! We did not eat at the hotel, but did enjoy happy hour on the sidewalk with great priced drinks.

Our room was good sized and we spent a lot of time on our fairly large balcony (room 310). However, the wall paper and the carpet need replaced immediately. Both are well past their prime. The furniture is a tad worn as well. Hotel staff said that refurbishing is happening. Even though we were above West Street, traffic noise was never a problem. Housekeeping staff could have been more cognizant of what was needed. Shampoo was not replaced and one day, our used towels were taken, but no new ones were left.

Had we known that we would not be using our car at all during our four days, we would have parked in the parking garage across the street for half the cost of our valet parking. We just didn't realize that we would not us our car.

If the rooms are updated, my rating will be a definite five. Location, staff and room size were terrific, but the negatives really color my review.

Room Tip: Room 310 has a large balcony.
Janie S,

Thank you for the comments about the staff. We take your comments serious and will work on the negatives you have pointed out. We hope that you will stay with us the next time you’re in Annapolis.

San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed here as part of a group attending a government meeting in the area so we were able to compare experiences from several different rooms. I feel lucky as I seemed to have gotten the overall best room (#514). Not sure where some of the previous 5-star-raving reviewers were staying, but even my room had the filthiest carpet I have seen in a long time, aged and scuffed furniture, unfitted sheets that came off the bed and a toilet seat I had to clean myself. Comments from the other rooms echoed the same problems but were potentially worse - with shampoo and lotion bottles being only half-full, hair in bathtub and around toilet, "just really filthy overall", etc. Some rooms have a view of a wall. Parking is a ridiculous $20 per day. No breakfast.
I know they are supposedly renovating some of the rooms - based on ours, it's about time. But even new furniture and hopefully carpet won't solve their poor housekeeping problems which are mentioned by other reviewers as well. This is one of those places where the manager answers all reviews and follows the critical ones with a canned "thank you, we will strive to correct the problems" - forget the responses - just DO IT! It's a shame because if less run-down and better managed, the hotel could be quite nice and is in a good location.
As for our group, we will not be staying here for the next meeting.

Room Tip: If you want to stay here, wait for full renovation and hope for a clean bathroom.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Jan S,

The staff and I apologize for not providing the standard of service one expects to receive when staying in a hotel. If you wish to discuss the issues you and your group experienced further please feel free to contact me.

Brielle, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We recently returned home from our weekend stay at the O'Callaghan Hotel. We were able to check into our King Suite with a balcony on the fifth floor. The bed was more like a Queen and the balcony was extremely small, had a high concrete wall and faced the street. The temperature of the hallways were very hot as was the elevator. The air conditioner on maximum setting wasn't really cool, just average. We only had two giant pillows on the bed. On Saturday we left the room at 8:30 and didn't return until about 3:30. Our room still hadn't been serviced at that time. At 4:00 I saw the housekeeper cleaning rooms and just asked for towels, as it was raining so we stayed in the room. She seemed surprised that we didn't want service. This morning we left for breakfast and bought our bags to the car. We went back upstairs for a quick bathroom break at 10:00 before we checked out and interestingly enough our room was done, and the bed had four pillows instead of two. The breakfast buffet was not included in the room cost and the parking is 20 dollars a day for valet, so park across the street in the parking garage for half the price. The location is about a 10- 15 minute walk to the marina and the bay. Enjoyed our stay but it was missing some of the things we expect for the price.

Room Tip: Check your air conditioning. Possibly rooms on lower floors?
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Robert R, Manager at O'Callaghan Hotel Annapolis, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear JoAnnMcW,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate you letting us know the positives and the negatives of your stay. We will work to correct these items. We hope you give us a second chance to show we can meet all your expectations.

Best Regards,
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is what hotels should be like. Very clean room, very comfortable beds, very friendly service, very good location, and a fair price. It is less than a mile walk to the city docks from the hotel. Parking is valet only for $20, but there are few options in downtown Annapolis. You probably won't need your car if you're visiting only the downtown attractions.

The beds are very comfortable. The combination of pillows is nice, although I don't know why the pillow is square shaped when rectangular would fit better. Maybe for sitting up in bed? The AC is a bit loud, but works well and responds to the thermostat quickly. The bathroom fan comes on automatically with the bathroom light, which is a nuisance in the middle of the night when you're trying to not disturb your roommates. The bathroom is spacious with a good amount of counter space. The towels are soft but a bit small.

The bedroom has a round table and sitting chair with a reading lamp. There is also a desk, so guests can spread out. The mini-fridge is good size. The room is quiet and nice. It has a calming effect.

The lobby is a bit spartan with not much room to sit. It does have lemon flavored water in a serve-yourself dispenser, which is a nice touch. The restaurant is inviting but we didn't eat there. It is such a short walk to Main Street with a great selection of restaurants. There is a breakfast buffet which looked good.

The valet parking is quick and very friendly. I would have tipped more but at $20/day for parking I felt like I had already paid enough. For a modern hotel close to downtown, this is a very good choice.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear Dutch Brother,

Thank you for the wonderful review. It is great to know that we met your lodging needs. I will be sure to pass your comments along to our staff. We hope you come back to see us soon.

Best Regards,
robert.russell@ocallaghanhotels.com

Been to O'Callaghan Hotel Annapolis? Share your experiences!