“Hotel - OK / Bar - not OK” 3 of 5 stars

You added O'Callaghan Hotel Annapolis to your Saves list
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   174 West Street, Annapolis, MD 21401   |
Ranked #13 of 22 hotels in Annapolis
Ohio
“Hotel - OK / Bar - not OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

My daughter and I arrived in town very early and didn't expect to be able to check-in until 3 pm. At noon I decided to stop in and speak with the receptionist to ask a few questions. We intended to go eat and come back after lunch to check-in. I explained my daughter was here to attend a Candidate Orientation weekend at the Naval Academy and that we just needed to change and let her get some things organized before 4 PM. The receptionist said if we didn't mind a room facing the back then she could check us in right away. She even said I could request a room change later in the afternoon when other rooms would be available. Thank you receptionist! (sorry I didn't get a name). The room was nice and the bed was very comfortable. Being on the fifth floor on the back of the hotel was fine for me. It doesn't face the action on the street so there wasn't much to look at, but it was quiet. As others have said, the air conditioner did seem to be pretty noisy when it was on and would sometimes wake me up when it cycled off and on during the night. All in all it was a decent place to stay and is in a convenient location. You can park the car and leave it and walk to pretty much anywhere. The Naval Academy is about a 1 mile walk but there are interesting sights along the way.

Now the not so great...
After a long day at the Naval Academy on Friday, I walked back and was looking forward to stopping off for a beer somewhere. All the places along West St seemed to be pretty crowded so I decided to just head back to the hotel and planned to stop at the downstairs bar before heading back to my room. I thought it was strange to only see two other patrons there. Seeing that they had Guiness on tap I asked the bartender for a Black & Tan. She said she could make it with Guinness and Smithwicks (also on tap). I said that was fine and waited by the bar. As she began filling the glass it sounded like the Guiness keg was empty (lots of air and sputtering sounds. She poured the foam out and started over a time or two and I joked it sounded like the bottom of the barrel. She told me it should be fine in a minute. When it didn't get any better she asked another employee if he could go check the keg and he disappeared through a door. She continued trying to fill the glass but there was no change. I finally said - OK I'll just take a Smithwicks instead. She said you know, I think I'm going to give you one in a bottle instead because it will be colder. She made some comment about the lines from the keg tend to make the beer warm or something. She said she would only charge me the domestic rate, which she quoted as $4.95. I almost told her to forget it at that point. If I had wanted bottled beer I could have walked across the street and bought a six pack at the convenient store and taken it back to my room. So... skip the bar and head to one of the many other fine bars / restaurants in the area. I was very disappointed in this so called Irish pub.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Albert M, General Manager at O'Callaghan Hotel Annapolis, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Rotordriver,

Thank you for the kind words about our reception where you were able to check in early and meet your obligations. I do apologize for the taps being out of commission. We lost and compressor and are actively trying to fix this problem. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. It would be my pleasure to but you a Guinness on your next trip to Annapolis.

510 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Newtown Square, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Stayed here because both the Westin and the Loews were booked. The hotel is okay, but dated and in need of a major overhaul/renovation. Old, small tube-style tv in the room. The bar is dark and nothing special. Excellent location, though, and they have a shuttle to the downtown area. The potential to be a very nice property but they need to put some serious money in it. Overall, quite expensive for what you get.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Albert M, General Manager at O'Callaghan Hotel Annapolis, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear StephenM,

Thank you for the review on our facility. Please contact me should you wish to discuss your stay any further. We do have a complete refurbishment planned first quarter of 2014. I would appreciate if you would let me know the room number you stayed in. We have installed new 42" tv's in all our rooms.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the O'Callaghan because the Loews hotel was sold out. The photos looked nice, and I thought I'd stay in a hotel with character. The reception is BARE, no picture or anything on the back wall of the front desk. The rooms are acceptable, but they really need a facelift. CERO Character. Wallpaper is falling apart, furniture has scratches. The air conditioner is NOISY, I had to turn it off at night because I woke up each time it started. I had to unplug the fridge as well, as the noise was unbereable. The only positive thing was that the bed was comfortable, and after turning and unplugging the electric devices, I could have a good night.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Albert M, General Manager at O'Callaghan Hotel Annapolis, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear MacaD,
I do apologize for the experience you had at our facility during your stay. Please contact me directly should you wish to discuss your stay further.
Nashville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

The AC doesn't work, the room smells like a locker room. Would not stay here, the stars on this site must me incorrect, I will not trust Tripadvisor rating ever again. This place is a sham, shanty hotel. I have been at hourly hotels with better rooms.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear JohnC,

I do apologize that the AC did not work during your stay. Please contact me directly should you wish to discuss your stay any further. It would be my pleasure to reconcile for our shortcomings.
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

The room that I stayed at, it requires some upgrades... Stained carpets in the room, old shower curtain, old shower head (the mounting was loose and every time I tried to adjust it, it would move back and forth)

I believe they do not vacuum the rooms daily (as I noticed some debris on the carpet for more than 2 days)... they replaced the plastic shower curtain while I was staying there, which the new curtain had a very strong odor and the whole room was covered with it...

The food and drinks from the Hotel's bar & restaurant are the most expensive in the area. If you just walk down the street for less than 5 minutes you will have access to many nice restaurants and bars. In this hotel they charged me ~$15 for an omelette with 2 fillings and side of bacon (which I pay cheaper in Manhattan), however you have an option to pay ~12 for buffet service

I liked Stan & Joe's Saloon and Tsunami Sushi bar on West Street.

Overall, this hotel is not worth of $156/night + $20 Daily valet, when the rooms are very average.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear MGHELICH,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. Please contact me directly, should you wish to discuss any further. I would love to reconcile with you and know the exact room you stayed in.
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Going to Annapolis, for the first time, and looked for hotels, B&Bs on tripadvisor. Reviews of Scotlaur convinced us to look elsewhere and we discovered O'Callaghans - we really struck it lucky - a really great place to stay.
As you arrive, there is the hotel's valet parking at the entrance (on site valet parking $20 per day).
The town is within walking distance, there is also a free circular shuttle around the town. Stops at O'Callaghans and just across the road for going into town.
We ate in the hotel bar area, it was good and reasonably priced. Helpful, friendly staff - they let us check in at midday. Good quality room, plenty of space. Overall we thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Wiltshire_Eddie,

Thank you for the five star review. I am very pleased that you will recommend us in the future. Sincerely,
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed staying at the O'Callaghan Hotel in Annapolis. Dayna, at the front desk, went out of her way to make our stay a memorable one. The only minor complaint we had was that the air conditioner was noisy. However, we look forward to returning again in the future and would highly recommend it to family and friends.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Connie641,

Thank you for the great review. Daynia will be very pleased that you acknowledged her spirit to serve. It will be our pleasure to serve you on your next visit.
albert.montone@ocallaghanhotels.com

Been to O'Callaghan Hotel Annapolis? Share your experiences!