“Standard rooms, great location” 4 of 5 stars

O'Callaghan Hotel Annapolis
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   174 West Street, Annapolis, MD 21401   |
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Annapolis
Rochester, NY
“Standard rooms, great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights the last weekend of July to see a show at the Ram’s Head down the road & to visit friends who live in Annapolis.
Location:
The location was great for us. Very close to the Ram’s Head venue and also a short walk to the Bay. There is a free shuttle available but, it was beautiful weather so we chose to walk.
Room:
The bed and bedding were very comfortable. It was nice to have a small refrigerator to store beverages and/ or left overs - especially since there are such great restaurants in Annapolis. The room was very clean but I did notice a slight musty smell. The first night we noticed the a/c unit was very loud. If fact, it woke me up several times with a banging noise each time it turned on. I chopped it up to it being an older unit. The second morning of our stay (while I was packing), I noticed a large spot of water on the rug near the unit. It was obviously broken which would explain the musty smell and loud noise.
Staff:
Everyone was very pleasant from the valet, to the front desk clerks. The bartender, Mark, was wonderful! He gave us several recommendations to the sights and restaurants around Annapolis. It was like talking to an old friend. He is definitely an asset to the O’Callaghan!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Albert M, General Manager at O'Callaghan Hotel Annapolis, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear kysdisease1,
Thank you for the comments on the attributes of our hotel. I appreciate the kind words about our staff, especially Mark and will pass your review on to him. Please come back. Sincerely,
albert.montone@ocallaghanhotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Reston, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My Husband and I stayed at this hotel two Fridays ago and out stay was wonderful. Very friendly people at the front desk, restaurant, and valet guys.My husband and I will defenately stay there again and also recommended to friends and family.

Room Tip: I am not sure there isn't a good room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for giving us the best review possible. We are very pleased that you will come back and recommend us to others. Sincerely,
Newark, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed here the first weekend in August for a wedding. We were able to check in early, and valet park our car for $20.00 overnight. The staff was accommodating, and we were pleased with the room and bathroom. The food in the restaurant was good, I had the crab cake which was all crab, and my hubby hand a huge club sandwich that he loved and looked delicious. The breakfast buffet was good the next morning.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room for an additional fee.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear SB,
Thank you for the great comments on our John Barry restaurant food offerings. We have a new chef that makes a great Maryland crab cake. Our breakfast buffet has been enhanced as well with new offerings which we are pleased you enjoyed. Please come back. Sincerely,
WOKINGHAM
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Just returned from this hotel after a 5 night stay. First impressions after a longish flight could have been better. We arrived Sat evening and a mix up with my booking had occurred but this was sorted with very little fuss by Rory and Jacqui on the front desk. I prefer not to use the elevator so the valet car parking attendant was summoned to show me the stairs across the car park and my wife to the lift, we had two cases and one other bag and to her amazement the valet just showed her the lift, didn't offer to help with the bags and when the lift arrived at the correct floor was just told "here you go" with no offer of help to the room...after these minor nuances things took a turn for the better. The hotel is situated on a safe, quiet street about 15 mins walk from the main harbour area. The staff are extremely helpful and polite and the rooms, spacious, clean and come with air conditioning and a very handy fridge. We had a balcony room on the 5th floor which was a bonus to be able to sit outside and watch the world go by. The breakfast wasn't included in our package but once again is good value at around an ave of $12 a head, we didn't manage to have dinner in the hotel but did have lunch which consisted of Crab cakes, which were perfect. The whole Annapolis experience was a pleasant one and overall you won't be disappointed if you stay at this comfortable, very friendly, well situated hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Guest,

I appreciate your review of our hotel and offerings. We are working very hard on our John Barry restaurant with new menus. I am pleased that you liked the crab cakes and our breakfast selection. I do apologize on arrival that we did not offer to help you with your luggage but that this did not take away from the pleasant experience you mentioned. Please come back. Sincerely,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Booked a block of rooms here for our daughters wedding. Although not by the water, it's a great location near many bars and restaurants. There is a free trolley that runs throughout Annapolis. The hotel staff was very gracious and accommodating. Will definitely recommend this hotel to others who come to Annapolis.

• Stayed August 2013
Albert M, General Manager at O'Callaghan Hotel Annapolis, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear MP313,

Thank you for the five star review. I appreciate the recommendation for others to experience our facility. Please come back.
O'Callaghan Hotel Annapolis
NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a weekend trip. The hotel is in a good location and looks nice from the outside. The rooms are ok, but could use some updating and attention. Some torn wallpaper, broken hair dryer, broken ice machine, no water pressure at all, and called 15 minutes ahead for our car from the valet and still had to wait. The staff, for the most part, were friendly, but with the exception of one woman at the desk and Mark at the bar, no one went out of their way to be friendly or help. They also had very little advice in terms of the area. I would expect more in a tourist town like Annapolis.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Albert M, General Manager at O'Callaghan Hotel Annapolis, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear SJgirlNj,

I appreciate your comments about our staff members and facility. Please contact me directly should you wish to discuss your stay any further. It would be helpful to locate the room you mentioned that needs repair. I apologize that your stay did not include everything in working order.
O'Callaghan hotel
Halifax, Nova Scotia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

My husband, toddler and I stayed overnight at O'Callaghan Hotel to see Annapolis on our way back to the airport. We were pleased with our stay, and in particular the proximity to downtown. We walked down the main road to the harbour on what must have been one of the hottest days of the summer, and had a very pleasant ride back on one of Annapolis trollies.

The room was your basic hotel room - comfortable bed, clean sheets, nice big flat screen LCD TV, shiny bathroom, good water pressure.

Service was great - valet parking met us when we pulled up, we were offered help with our bags (we didn't need it), check in was about 30 seconds, and the room was ready for us. They were very accommodating when, at about five to twelve on checkout day, I asked if we could keep the room one more hour since our baby was asleep.

Can't comment on the restaurant since we dined elsewhere. I am a cheepskate so I did find it pricy (although comparable to other accommodation nearby) and would have preferred not to have to do valet parking, but I knew the deal on parking going in so I have no complaints about it (its worse when you show up not knowing you will be dropping $$$ for parking).

Overall, I would say the hotel itself is not an "experience" the way staying in one of the old inns may have been, but if you are there to experience Annapolis rather than a hotel, O'Callaghan's is a good bet.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the four star review. I am sorry you did not use our restaurant during your stay but understand. Please come back.
albert.montone@ocallaghanhotels.com

Been to O'Callaghan Hotel Annapolis? Share your experiences!