“Good Service but Old Hotel Rooms and bad air conditoning” 3 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   174 West Street, Annapolis, MD 21401   |
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Annapolis
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Long Island
“Good Service but Old Hotel Rooms and bad air conditoning”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We checked in Friday. The valet and bellhop were very courteous and helpful. We went up to the room and it was uncomfortable. The air condition like the rest of the room was real old and did not work well and kept going off. The TV was probably twenty years old. It does not cost much to move into the future and equip all rooms with flat screen TV's. The bar was ok nothing special. There is also no pool. It is an average hotel and if you get a discount its not bad.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
mdgirllp, General Manager at O'Callaghan Hotel Annapolis, responded to this review, July 2, 2011
Dear guest

Thank you for your comments and I sincerely apologize if there were any problems with the Air Conditioner in your room, we have just completely overhauled all units to ensure they are working very efficiently so the only reason it should turn off is if the desired temperature is reached in the room.

Our hotel is just 9 years old, but your comment about the televisions is taken on board!

Thanks again

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

I stayed here with my family the night before my first 10k...definitely a good idea. The staff was very friendly, valet parking was avail but reduced-fare parking was very close by, the room was immaculate, the pillows and bed were very comfortable, and little refrig and coffee pot in room were great!

I slept like a baby and woke up feeling great for my run. It was less than a mile walk to Navy Marine Corp Memorial Stadium (which was a perfect warm-up). After the race, a hot shower was fantastic!!! (and the water is reallllly nice and hot!!!)

Check out was at 12 which is later than most places (perfect to shower after my morning race).

The only two negatives: ice maker on our floor was broken and view was facing the dumpster and employee lot. Neither mattered because I wasn't there for the view and ice was available in the lobby.

All-in-all: great hotel
We'd stay here again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Military and government disc avail
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Dear Runner Guest

Firstly Congratulations on your first 10K - that is not an easy route!! We are delighted that you stayed with us and thank you for your kind comments.

The ice machine was temporarily out of order that Saturday but has of course been fixed.

We hope to see you back for the race next year or perhaps the A10 in August? There is also a new 1/2 Marathon that has been moved to November - so great running weather. Contact us if you would like more details.
Rifle, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

park across street for $8.00 per day instead of $19.00 at hotel. make sure they charge you the price they quoted. the gulf cart to and from town was a great service.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. You are correct there is public garage accross the street from the hotel and we try to tell all guests about that as a self park option. The good news is that the rate there has also just dropped to $5! We offer valet only parking at $18 per night which includes our insurance covering your vehicle and you may take it in and out as many times as you like.

I am glad you enjoyed the E Cruisers and hope to see you back again soon.
Cairns, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

I traveled with my new husband and our two friends (we are all from Australia) and we stayed here for 5 nights in May 2011. The manager Lesley and her staff were very helpful & friendly. The manager heard we were newly weds and she organized a beautiful cheese platter for us on our arrival. The rooms were clean, the bedding super comfortable and the location was handy to walk down town to do some shopping. Would definitely recommend would stay again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind words and for celebrating your honeymoon with us, we very much enjoyed having you stay and hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in the US!
oldsmar, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

Good: location about 5 blocks from marina, cleanliness, courteous staff, nice iron, good electrical outlets, safe area, nice dining room
Bad: $18/day valet plus tips every time, no views from any rooms, wall unit AC/heat, horrible pillows that flatten to nothing, scratchy linens, water temperature is scalding/dangerously hot, decor is ho hum/boring, buffet breakfast is lacking extras, work out room 84 degrees, about 8 X12 feet and only has cardio machines with minds of their own, public meeting areas/private hospitality suites on every floor near guest rooms, in-room coffee is so weak I couldnt't taste it.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments and we are sorry you found us to be average, that is certainly not our aim. Your suggestions will certainly be taken seriously.
Williamsburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

I was in Annapolis on business and chose O'Callaghan for the value and location. I was treated with utmost respect and courtesy from the moment of my arrival until I checked out. They even allowed me to leave my car in their garage after check-out while I was in my meeting.
The reason I rated the service a four really has more to do with a convenience issue that a service issue, but no other category fit. I went to the business center in the evening to get a soda, and the soda machine was inoperative. Otherwise, everything was perfect! I believe they say in Ireland, go raibh maith agaibh - thank you all for making my stay memorable. I will definitely stay here again, and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Go raibh maith agut (thank you!) for your very kind words and for taking the time to share them. We are very sorry about the soda machine, normally we can get it serviced immediately.

We hope you will come back to see us soon.

Slan (goodbye)
yardley,pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

I am very particular as to where I spend my nights away from home.In this hotel I found great value along with extra clean rooms(a must with me).The location was not right "down town but a short walk puts you in the center of everything.After a day of sightseeing and shopping the bar is a perfect place to wind down.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you, thank you! We appreciate you staying with us and sharing your thoughts.

Been to O'Callaghan Hotel Annapolis? Share your experiences!