“Once again a fine lunch” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #81 of 274 Restaurants in Annapolis
Cuisines: Tapas
Annapolis, Maryland
“Once again a fine lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I regularly shop at the wine store next and this is the second time lunched here. Both were excellent experiences. Food was lite with a French bistro flare.

• Visited September 2013

Huntingtown, Maryland
“Good wine and good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Great place to go for small plates and good wine. Right next door to Annapolis Wine Cellars.
My wife and I stop by when we are in the area. The staff is knowledgeable and will offer choices for wine you may not thought of on your own.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Maryland
“Who Knew???”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

On this evening, my husband and I decided to have a quick bite and some wine at Grapes, just down the road from our house. Tucked away in the Clock Tower Shopping Center on Forest Drive, it is the perfect place to stop on the way home from work or play. As soon as we crossed the threshold, we felt like we stepped across the Atlantic Ocean into Europe. Warm and cozy, the atmosphere was understated and elegant. We were greeted immediately and told to pick our table.

With an extensive selection of wines, including "Happy Hour" specials, we opted for the house red after a small taste. It was specially blended for the Wine Cellars of Annapolis, their adjoining retail store. Nicely done with not too much tannin; just the way we like it.

The menu is based on the "small plate concept" but the portions are, by no means, small at all. Our first choice was the "Mediterranean Hummus and Olive Plate du Jour" ($7.50). It arrived quickly and only survived the amount of time to take a photo for this review. Crusty bread and flavorful olive oil were welcomed. Warm pita wedges, peppers, olive bread, olives, a stuffed grape leaf, hummus, and baba ganoush waited to be devoured. All were fresh and tasty, but the baba ganoush was superb: Silently overwhelming in a delightful way. We were tempted to order more.

Our appetite somewhat satiated, we took a long look at the rest of the menu. I've been here before and have ordered their famous "Frites with Truffle Oil" upon sitting. Somewhat addicting, I resisted so that I could try something different. "Maybe the 'Seared Scallops & Chirizo with Balsamic Reduction'," I offered, "I had them before and they were delicious!" Our decision nearly made, we changed our minds after Richard, our attentive and helpful without hovering waiter, appeared. "Tonight, our Special is 'Carnitas Tacos' made fresh in house, including the corn tortillas." That sealed the deal. We placed our order ($9 for two tacos).

They arrived within minutes. Warm, soft tortillas embraced the tender pork sprinkled with fresh herbs. Two sauces accompanied: Green, with small chunks of avocado, and red, which was more subtle. They were both delicious, but we could've slathered on the Green Sauce as it was extraordinary. The homemade tortillas reminded me of growing up in LA and going to Olvera Street downtown for authentic Mexican. Like butter on the tongue, they were soft and succulent.

The atmosphere was romantic, the food was a culinary feast, the service was pampering. This meal was was beginning to feel like foreplay. Nicely satisfied without overeating, we left for home. Grapes is definitely one of THE best restaurants in all of Annapolis and is fast becoming one of our local haunts. It's a hidden European gem, tucked away on a busy corridor, waiting to be discovered and savored. We can't wait to return.

Millersville, MD
“Again and Again and Again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I have been to Grapes with my husband and co workers, friends, relatives several times since it opened. I can't say enough about the friendly staff, the service, the food and the wine. They have an enormous amount of wine selections as they are connected to Annapolis Wine Cellars. If they don't have it, just ask, Bill or Patrick will look into getting it on their list. The food is great and we like it because it is a tapas bar.. small plates.. so you can try different dishes. The scallops are one of my favorites. You get two large scallops and quite frankly, one is to share. The flatbreads are changed out on a daily to weekly period. They have a great roasted chicken special during the week and on special occasions they change up their menu to include one of my all time favorites - oysters with spinach and pernod. Even my elderly mother enjoyed New Year's Eve here. She asks to go back again when she comes to visit. I can't say enough about their service~Pam, Denise, Bill, Vonny, Natalie are all great! A great little bistro with a great atmosphere. A nice place for a light dinner and drinks!

Annapolis, Maryland
“not the food, but the service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I recently went to this restaurant because it had a good review in the local paper. It does have an extensive list of wines and a nice small plates menu. I ordered a wine on special that was $15.00/gl. A little pricey but very nice. The food is very good but small plates mean small. So the service, we sat at the bar and there were two bartenders. One seemed new and very nice. The other we recognized from another restaurant in town,(one of our favorites) who didn't work there anymore. So come dessert time, we ordered the creme brulee, a favorite of my husbands and mine. When we tasted it , it tasted very butterscotchy. there is another dessert on the menu called butterscotch pot or something. We thought maybe we got the wrong one. So the waiter takes the dessert away and we see him talk to everyone in the kitchen about it. Lots of discussion and then someone in the kitchen takes a spoon and tastes our dessert. Ok, fine he needs to know which one it is. BUT then the waiter brings back the tasted dessert and says it is creme brulee, their version of it. Really?? he brings back the dessert the cook tastes? When i pointed this out to the waiter he said really? he did that? Well he was standing there with the dessert in his hand when the cook did that! To his credit he also brings the other dessert so we can taste that. But i don't think he should have given us the original one back. Maybe I am being sensitive but so be it. Also when we got the bill we had been charged for 2 glasses of the pricey wine when i only had 1. When i brought it to this attention, the original new guy that took the order said he couldn't remember and took it off, but i feel like they didn't believe me. Two people, $95.00. Probably wont be going back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere