“The real, real deal” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
Kent, Washington
“The real, real deal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

To set the stage: I had been awake since 7am the previous day, flown across the country, missed breakfast, and was ravenous.

Based on Trip Advisor, while wandering Annapolis, I settled on Dock Street for lunch on Sunday. No reservations, at noon, probably a bad idea, etc.

I was able to sit immediately at the bar. The staff were uber-casual (fitting for my red-eyed shorts-and-t-shirt state) and very facile at recommending (bottle-only) local beer selections. Flying Dog's "Angry B**ch" was exceptional, and the very thing to settle me following a long 36 hours.

Then the crab cake sandwich arrived. I want to write poetry about this sandwich. I want to get to know it better. I might take it on a date. If you have not had a true Maryland crab cake, this was BY FAR the best of the five different versions I sampled over a three day period. (One of the staff did share that because of crowds on Saturday night, they often make very fresh ones Sunday morning...) The mustard-based tartar sauce completely redefined my concept of that otherwise nasty substance. Apparently there may have been french fries as well, although I can't vouch for their existence. Short version: come hear and eat crab-based products. The Bay is 30 yards away. No excuses.

Service was fine, location was good (teeming masses, but somehow lots of space here). If for some reason you're in Annapolis, and want a moderately-priced crab cake of wonder, this is your place.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Annapolis, MD
“Best Crab Cakes Ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

Today was my first visit to Dock Street Bar and Grill and it exceeded my high expectations for their crab cakes. We went during lunch and while it was busy, it was not crowded. There were four wait staff and they were all courteous, helpful, and attentive. They all refilled drinks and provided assistance as they saw a need promptly and pleasantly.

I had heard wonderful things about their crab cakes, that there was little filling, great flavor, and a tasty tartar sauce so my expectations were set quite high. I ordered the Crab Cake Sandwich which had a full-sized crab cake on a kaiser roll, lettuce, and tomato with an order of spicy fries. The crab cake was huge and I couldn't find any filler, it looked to be entirely crab meat. Their judicious use of Old Bay seasoning added a nice flavor and complemented the tartar sauce very well. The crab cake was nicely cooked, just a little bit of crispy on the outside but moist on the inside, not overdone. The fries were also prepared well, crisp and dry, delicious!

My cousin had the crab cake dinner and her crab cake looked as well prepared as my own. The server explained that we could get asparagus in place of the spinach as they had gotten some fresh asparagus from a local vegetable stand. That was a nice touch and a good recommendation!

I haven't tried anything else on the menu (yet), but it will be a while before I would forego a crab cake when I visit the Dock Street Bar & Grill.

It's a great location with fantastic crab cakes, I highly recommend a visit here!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great little spot in Annapolis”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

We went here for lunch on a beautiful day in Annapolis. There are a handful of tables outside on the street . Inside is small but cozy. Service was really good. I got a cup of soup which was really good. My wife got crabcakes which were also good. the only letdown was that my sandwich, which was good, was a little thin. Otherwise, it was a nice place to grab lunch,

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Jeffersonton, VA
“Amazing Crab cakes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

This little place doesn't look like much from the outside, but they have the most wonderful crab cakes in Annapolis. In fact there was so little filling I'm not sure how they held together. YUMMY!

Visited June 2014
Boca Raton, Florida
“Your Crab Choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

This place, during the day and evening is a great place to sit down, have a drink and meal while watching the people walk by. By far, some of the best crab cakes we had while in Annapolis. The wait staff was on top of their game while we were there. The beer cold, the food hot and plentiful.

Visited May 2014