“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Chop House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #51 of 275 Restaurants in Annapolis
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Entertaining clients, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Went on New Year's Eve. Easy free parking close by. We arrived early so sat at the bar until our table was ready. Nice pours on the drinks. Good selection of single malt scotches. Very attentive staff. The electronic tablet menus are actually useful and not a gimmick. Good menu variety of red meats and fish. The butter served with the bread was better than what I've come to expect when dining out. All the food was prepared as we asked and quite delicious. I had the bone-in filet rare and my wife had fish. The ambient noise was just loud enough to make it hard to clearly hear our server. But later it softened a bit or we just got used to it. Great texture and taste on the tiramisu.

DC
“Perfect Birthday Celebration Spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

The Chop House offers a surprising, but quietly unknown, special discount for birthday guests. If you visit Chop House on your actual birthday, they offer you an discounted price on your meal plus your dessert is presented with a candle and it's FREE!. The main course selections are above par any of the other five star restaurants in the area and the services you receive are definitely five star. This was quite a treat. From the time we walked in, the management ensured we received quality service and then personally adjusted our bill after a quick check of the birthday vitals. Kudos to the Chop House for continuing a slowly disappearing tradition most other restaurants scoff at. BTW, their Happy Hour selection of meals and drinks ranks above the top five Annapolis-wide. Definitely a keeper for the local area!

• Visited December 2013
Annapolis, Maryland
“Dreadful Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

This year, our office went to the Chop House at Annapolis Town center for our end-of-year celebration dinner. We were a group of 18 and had reservations for a private room at 7 PM on a Friday evening. We were all there by a few minutes after our reservation. I asked if there was a coat room and was told by the host “absolutely, but we’ll take your coats once you are seated.” After a short wait we were shown to our table and the host disappeared before we could remove our coats. Which was a good thing because as it turned out that while the room was an acceptable temperature, there was a strong draft under part of the table and several of the ladies in our group needed their coats to keep the draft off their legs.

After a long wait our server eventually showed up and told us about the water selection. This included a house special filtered water, Fiji water, or Pellegrino sparkling water. I asked for the wine list.

When the waters were served we pointed out that the house special filtered water had small green flecks of something floating in it. At first our server ignored our concerns about the floating debris, but eventually got new pitchers of water that also had floating debris. I asked if those of us with the house special filtered water could perhaps have the Fiji water compliments of the house. We were offered the Fiji water but we would have to pay for it. I asked for the wine list.

Another wait ensued and then our server returned to take our drink order. I asked about the wine list. Many of us ordered cocktails. When my Mount Gay and tonic was served it was weak (I can live with that) and the tonic was flat. Our server offered to get a different type of drink because there was nothing that could be done if I wanted fizzier tonic (he seemed offended that I didn’t like the tonic water). I said I really had wanted wine but he had not brought us a wine list yet . . .

When he next returned he still had no wine list, but he took our appetizer order. We said we were ready to order our meal. However he only wanted our appetizer order.

After another wait he returned to take our dinner order. I again reminded him that I was waiting for the wine list.

Eventually the appetizers were served. Our selection of appetizers were well presented and tasty. I mentioned that many of us would like wine with dinner, and since we had not seen a wine list could he just tell us about the wine selection. He knew about some of the wines. Some of the varieties we asked about he didn’t know about or they didn’t have, but I was able to order wine for dinner.

The wines were decanted and served, but after the initial pour, we had to serve ourselves. Which is fine when I am at home, but the inflated wine price at this restaurant should have included better service.

Fortunately we are a friendly group that enjoys each other’s company because it was just over 2 hours and 40 minutes after we had been seated before a food runner came out with the first four dinners and placed them on a nearby serving table. Another almost ten minutes went by before the rest of our meals came out and they were all served. Again the food was well presented and good, not great, but quite good. Unfortunately four of the dinners were served after having cooled off while waiting for the rest of the dinners.

There was another long wait before our table was cleared. Then our server started to tell us about desert. We interrupted and said just bring the check. Which took several more minutes.
Our office manager had bought, in advance, gift cards directly from the restaurant to pay for the meal because for each $250 gift card purchase you got an additional $25 card. We had enough gift cards to cover our bill and sent them back with the server. Our waiter came back several times to say they were processing the gift cards and there would be a slight delay.

After a little over half an hour of waiting for change, we got up and found the manger. Apparently there was some problem processing such a large bill with gift cards. The best they could do was to offer to mail us our change after they got the problem figured out. They were not willing to just give us the change in cash.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Severn, Maryland
“Chop House Annapolis is Awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Me and my wife like to visit here for Happy Hour and just have a nice peaceful and relaxing hour or so at the bar. The bar menu is fantastic and the service is great. We have been several times and have never been dissapointed.

• Visited October 2013
Annapolis, Maryland
“Wonderful 30th Birthday Celebration”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

For my husband's 30th birthday we booked the private Wine Cellar room at the Chop House for a party. Weeks in advance, Eric the general manager provided us with menu options and content to consider for our event. In the days leading up to the party we confirmed the menu together, and on the day of we were granted access to the room for the day. I was able to meet with Eric personally, set up the decorations in the room and on the table, and see the space for the event in advance.

When our family and friends arrived everyone was impressed by the space! Service was great and our meals were delicious and all executed perfectly. Everyone loved the appetizers, and a chance to mingle in the room before being seated for dinner. I highly recommend the chorizo stuffed dates, they were a huge hit!

Many thanks to the Chop House for making this birthday party so special and memorable for all the right reasons! We are return customers, and are sure to return again.

• Visited October 2013