“They're In It for The Money...” 1 of 5 stars

State House Inn
25 State Circle, Annapolis, MD 21401   |
Ranked #18 of 31 Annapolis B&B and Inns
DCMetro
“They're In It for The Money...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

Stayed at the SHI on Saturday, July 17 as a beginning for a mini vacation on the Easter Shore. Geez, where do i begin with this?...here goes. in all honesty we arrived a little earlier than the check-in time of 2:00 PM, the inn was wide open, as i just walked in with no staff that would heed my beckon call. the housekeeper did appear, but did not speak this language, just a smile. we checked at the restaurant [on bottom floor of "inn"] and were told to wait until a staff person would show. this person was cordial and showed us our room, which was in extreme need of cooling and checked-in. the room was clean, but definitely needs some maintenance work and updating in the bathroom area especially. furnishings for the most part look as though they may have been purchased with the property, but the rest was shoddy cheap. there was literally no staff present the whole time of our short stay...bathroom was not the least bit inviting with loose fixtures, cheap cabinet, putrid paint, and on again off again hot and cold water from the loose shower head and no vent fan. the tv in the room was a cheapo flat screen looking 19" model, although we did not come to annapolis to watch the tube. parking can be a problem here, even though they offer public parking about 3 blocks from the inn. i was able to park across the street from the location adjacent to the construction dumpster after i was harrassed by the meter maid nazi woman in the loading zone. i can't go on any longer here...i will say there was no way to contact staff and never mentioned, never any mention of any assistance during the stay, the owners are in it for the money at this 202USD stay, the patio entrance had weeds growing everywhere including the flower pots and the massive air conditioning unit adjacent to the front of the property and next to the trash area emanated a deafening noise. They got our hard-earned money and i dropped the key in the key drop Sunday morning. Great location though, but they can't change that. Good Riddance...

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
raleigh, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

I knew we were in trouble when I got a call from the place asking when we would be there. Well as soon as we walked in we were rushed to our room with the advice that we keep our keys with us all the time. A phone number and a promise to help was given (don't believe it). Little did we know, anyone with any ability to help was long gone from 5pm until sometime the next afternoon. So any questions or needs were unanswered (as the number we were given just went back to the main office). Oh well, we managed to get by without help and the next morning went downstairs expecting what the brochure and web site clearly state as "lite fare continental breakfast in our sunny parlor." No breakfast, no coffee (although there was a pot -- there wasn't any coffee left). And no human beings. Again, any calls went unanswered. The place itself is tattered and worn, in real need of TLC. Just don't bother going here, it is a huge waste of money...left a real sour taste for our Annapolis experience. The owners didn't even have the decency to return any of our calls. What kind of operation is this?

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2010

This place has so much potential. It is in a fabulous location, with views over the State House and the beautiful historic district of Annapolis. It's a lovely old historic building, full of old furniture and character. This has the potential to be a beautiful boutique hotel.

However - for the rates charged ($150+/night!) the service leaves much to be desired. I was greeted by someone barely out of her teens who took me into the darkened hotel office, grunted her way through check-in, more or less threw a room key and map to the car park at me, and then told me to leave my key in the box by the front door on the way out the next morning... before returning to her Facebook chat... what a lovely welcome.

I was then left to my own devices - I was the only guest that night, and I think I was the only person in the building...

Dutifully I left the room key in the box by the door on my way out the next morning, but I won't return - the next night I stayed at the Maryland Inn nearby and had a much better experience for less money.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Baltimore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

I'm planning for my wife's 50th birthday and was looking for someplace special. Found state House Inn on line. Website and reviews looked impressive, just what I was looking for. Reserved a room via their website using my credit card. Very efficient methods. Subsequent to booking, I wanted to contact them via the phone number posted on their site [--] to actually speak with a live human being. I am very familiar now with the pleasant sounding female voice on their answering machine. No one ever picks up the phone!!! Ever!!. Doesn't matter when you call. Left several messages over the course of 2 weeks expecting at least one return phone call. Nothing!!. Does anyone actually work there? As a result of this, I am now working with my credit card company to block there pending charges since I can't contact them directly. Crazy way to run a business!! Very dissatisfied. I'm now forced to scamble at the last minute to find more suitable accomodations.

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Red Lion, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

We went away for a few days in June to be alone. The Inn was very centrally located. We stayed in the Queen Mary room. It could really use some renovations, but good for the promotional price of $99/night. My biggest complaint in the room was the bathtub/shower combo. The tub is so high, I tripped getting in and out. I actually got a bruise. I could only imagine if I was an older person or someone with a disability. A step to get in and out is definitely needed. It is a lawsuit waiting to happen. The continental breakfast was disappointing in comparison to the lavish breakfasts we have had at other B&Bs, but again for the price it was worth going out for breakfast. All in all we liked our stay, and would stay here again--only at the promotional rate.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
mdlucas, Owner at State House Inn, responded to this review, July 13, 2009
Thank you for noting the value of our hotel. We generally set our prices from the market. The Queen Mary with a King Bed and Jacuzzi was the same price as double bed from Historic Inns of Annapolis and less than half the price of other downtown B&Bs the night you stayed. As an Inn and not a B&B we offer light continental fare and a hot cup of coffee as our website states. This is typically danish, croissant, english muffins, cereals, muesli, fresh berries, yogurts, and often fresh cut pineapple. We have considered adding ladders to our jacuzzi's, but this encourages more accidents than it prevents as guests end up perched on the wet edge of the jacuzzi still trying to get in safely. The safe and comfortable way to enter and exit is to sit on the wide platform edge and swing ones legs into the tub. When we see you next time, we hope you take full advantage of the Jacuzzi and enjoy a deep soak and waterjets. It is the perfect relaxation, especially after travelling.
Odenton, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

As part of a Mother's Day gift from my husband, I stayed here for one night to have some peace and quiet away from the craziness that comes with having three kids under 5. The positive - the owners were very nice and the room was well appointed, though a little dated. You definitely can't beat the location - you're right in the heart of downtown Annapolis. The negative - part of the appeal of a B&B is the home cooked breakfast in the morning - you kind of expect that for the price; unfortunately all you get here is store bought (and not even that great) pastries for breakfast..ugh. Second, the club/party/whatever music going on close by made it impossible to have a restful night sleep. Overall, it's nice, but I would definitely look elsewhere in Annapolis for a different experience next time.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2008

We and our little dog just spent one night at The State House and would definitely return. The owner, Frances, was so helpful and accommodating. You could not ask for a better location, right in the center of Annapolis with all the great restaurants, shops and harbor within walking distance. We stayed in the Chesapeake Room - good size room. Price is so reasonable. Hope to go back soon.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to State House Inn? Share your experiences!