“ABSOLUTLY AWFUL - NEVER AGAIN!” 1 of 5 stars

Gibson's Lodgings
110 Prince George Street, Annapolis, MD 21401   |
Ranked #4 of 31 Annapolis B&B and Inns
Woodbine, Maryland
“ABSOLUTLY AWFUL - NEVER AGAIN!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

Let's see. Where do I begin? Checked in for our 2 night stay on a cold December afternoon with the temp in the low 20's. Our room's heater did not work so we asked to be moved to another room which was done reluctantly. The heater in that room worked............the first night. Not the second. We absolutely froze all night. Constantly running toilets. Major construction next door at the Naval Academy that started at 6 am each morning - we were never told about this up front. The bed was very saggy and gave us back aches.Think we got much sleep during our stay? We paid for a package that included chocolate covered strawberries and champagne, we got 4 berries and a cheap bottle of red wine that was left in the fridge in the communal kitchen - not even in our room!. When we asked about the champagne(which we love), the clerk just shrugged and said the wine was all she had at the moment and made no effort to take corrective measures. NOT WHAT WE EXPECTED AND NOT WHAT WE PAID FOR! Finally, had to wait 15 minutes to check out because the only attendant at the office had to take several "more important" phone inquiry's (doesn't she know how to put callers on hold?). You are better off staying in another of the many other options around town.

Room Tip: ask about the construction next door
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
gibsonslodge, Owner at Gibson's Lodgings, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear Wipper11,
I am honestly shocked by this one star review of my Inn. I was out of town the dates that you stayed and upon my return when I asked how the last two days had gone at Gibson’s everyone said "great". They informed me that the only blip was that a Living Social (yourself) was in Lauer 3 and the heater wasn't working. I NEVER want my guest's to be inconvenienced by ANYTHING. We have our systems checked regularly to prevent any problems. I apologize that you had to move rooms. Anyone that knows myself and my staff-- Carrie, Peggy & Catherine, will tell you that customer service is our number one priority. If there is something wrong with a room, we have never “Reluctantly” moved someone. That is what bothers me most about this review is that is just plain untrue.

Our motto is to stay friendly no matter what happens here. I have spoken with Carrie who helped you move rooms and she said you “Couldn't have been any nicer" about moving. She was very upset to hear you left such a scathing review about her customer service. As for us running out of Champagne, I apologize about that. We had 16 Living Socials stay within a one week period and we simply ran out for 12 hours. We instead gave you an $18 bottle of red wine. We also make sure to dip exactly 6 strawberries. If you are going to attack my Inn I would appreciate it if you kept it honest. I sold over 200 Living Socials this year. My Living Social feedback is 100 percent positive on their site. We have NEVER had anyone complain about the 6 strawberries.

Lastly, the Construction next door at the Academy is 100% out of my control. I can honestly say that it has been going on next door for almost 12 months and I have not had one single guest blame me for it.

Perhaps if you would have voiced ANY DISSPOINTMENT or given us any sense that you were upset, my Assistant Manger on duty would have tried to work something out. I spoke with everyone at Gibson’s and you NEVER said anything about the heat not working the second night. I just went over to check for myself and the heat is working perfectly. My staff said you were extremely friendly and they had no idea you were so unhappy. I cannot fix something nor can my staff when you voice no concerns during your actual visit and instead you go home and attack my business online.

I hope that anybody reading this review looks at our other positive reviews from past guests and realizes that my staff and I take pride in what we do. We genuinely love working at Gibson’s and we love meeting new people. I hope they realize that reviews like the above are hurtful. I have been here for almost 4 ½ years and never had someone say my place was “Absolutely Awful”. I also want people to know that if you are ever staying somewhere and something is broken, or not what you were expecting, go nicely tell the Management in person. Most places will do anything they can to make the customer happy.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a one-night stay at the very charming Gibson's Lodgings. Location couldn't have been better for sightseeing (one block from harbor area and 2 blocks from Naval Academy), and the staff were warm and welcoming, made us feel like we were right at home as soon as we arrived. I wouldn't call it a true B&B because the breakfast is more of a continental breakfast, but it was still a very nice spread. The staff also allowed us to leave our car parked in the lot for a few hours after we checked out while we visited the Naval Academy, which was very gracious given that parking is hard to come by in the tight streets of Annapolis.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Mount Royal, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Gibson's for two nights (Sun-Tues). The room was ideal - it was just the right size for us and the bathroom was roomy. We stayed in a pet friendly room and it was very clean. The bed was comfortable and temperature of the room was good (no thermostat to control this). It was about two blocks to the harbor and shops. All of the museums and restaurants in the historic district were within walking distance. The staff was very friendly, especially Pippa. The continental breakfast had a wide selection of coffee, teas, bagels and waffles. The free off street parking was also a plus. We would recommend this B&B and will be back!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, Delaware, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Gibson's Lodging is simply wonderful! My husband, Matt, and I stayed for two days while visiting a friend. The room was clean, beautiful, and the bed was quite possibly the most comfortable one we've ever slept on. Breakfast was lovely and so were all the management staff. We would highly recommend this place if you find yourself looking for lodging in Annapolis. It's quite charming!

Room Tip: Patterson 5 has an AMAZING king bed!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Shenandoah Valley, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

... although I would say this is more a boutique hotel then a true B&B. First off is the location, just a block over from the inner harbour and 2 blocks from the Naval Academy entrance - with free, off street parking. The rooms are well decorated and very comfortable. We had a good night's sleep even with being just a block from the partying harbour. The breakfast has a large selection of self-serve, good quality foods from fresh fruit to waffles.

The staff we met were extremely nice and very helpful - especially in letting us continue to park our car after checkout for a couple of hours while shopped. (Note that they were not fully booked and it was during the transition between check-out and check-in.)

They offer a lot of extra, including a kitchen in each structure with free water, cookies, coffee, sodas, and microwave popcorn. In our building we had a large back porch, which while overlooking just the landscaped parking lot was a quiet amenity for breakfast or an evening read.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia,PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Gibson was a great place to stay in Annapolis. We used a Living Social deal for the B&B. We were very close to the harbor, Naval Academy and the shopping. Very walkable town. The 2 original houses are beautiful inside. We had a kitchen with coffee, soda, water and snack at our disposal. The breakfast was very fresh and tasty. even had a waffle bar. They welcomed us with champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. We would definitely come back to Gibson Lodging.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We just returned from our 2 day stay at Gibson's Lodgings. What a fantastic location, with immaculate rooms and topped off with wonderful hosts. We were literally right in the heart of Annapolis and could walk to the Naval Academy (in less than 5 mins). Since Gibson's was only half full. we were upgraded to a suite. This suite was Immaculately kept with a better than Hilton king size bed, flat screen tv, all upgraded bathroom and hardwood floors. Our hosts were wonderful in recommending what restaurants they thought would suit our particular tastes, all of which were again in walking distance. Gibson's serves a wonderful breakfast; waffles, fresh fruit, bagels and breads, muffins, yogurt, etc. The only thing missing are the eggs which you could easily do without. On Tuesday evening we walked over to the pier where the Naval band played for almost an hour and half (this happens every Tues.( weather permitting). All we can say is that this is not to be missed! There is lots of musical talent in the Naval Academy. If we were going back to Annapolis, Gibson's would be our first choice!

Room Tip: If you have flexibility, go on Mon. Tues. because it is less crowded than the rest of the week. If...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Gibson's Lodgings? Share your experiences!