“Stay able” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Aberdeen
Scotch Plains, New Jersey
“Stay able”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014 via mobile

Stayed with a baseball team after other hotels couldn't accommodate number of families traveling. Hotel is in need of upgrading and remodeling but was not a dump.
Hotel was clean and breakfast was okay with the exception of watery eggs. Pool was nice, table lounge chairs need to be replaced Staff were very accomodating. Their appears to be ongoing efforts to make minor repairs. Until renovations are made I would consider it a low budget hotel with great potential.

• Stayed August 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
ny
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

Our team has been staying here for the last 3 years to play at Ripken baseball. Since our first trip the hotel has gone down hill. They closed the club, which is good because it brought a very bad element to the hotel. But now it appears they have long term residents living in the hotel. It is close the Ripken fields which is good, but that is about the only positive and the staff is nice. The hotel is run down and you the feeling it is about to close. My suggestion is to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2014
Salisbury, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

I am a long time business traveler to this area that needs a room on consecutive nights. I previously stayed at a nearby hotel which was "okay" for my needs in that it had a bed, a fridge and microwave, in-room coffee maker, and a shower. It was, again, "okay" as my home away from home. That said, when I decided to come back to the Clarion (I had stayed here in the past but the rate was significantly higher than the previously mentioned hotel, and so, in the best interest of the company, I chose the other). I have, after a year and a half, chosen to return to the Clarion, despite the pleasure traveler reviews, because I know how the staff and the accommodations are a great fit for those of us who need a place to call our home away from home. Check in is fast and courteous, and let's face it, after a hard day of traveling, you don't want to hang around the front desk for minutes on end if, for no other reason, you have to use the restroom. Entrance to your room from outdoors is a little cumbersome during the daylight hours if you have your luggage and computer bag in tow because you need the room key to enter, but I, as a woman, actually appreciate that. The elevators are not high speed but that's not a drawback (the last hotel I stayed in didn't even have one and "my room" was on the third floor). I am a smoker but hate, hate the smell of smoke. Nonsmokers don't get what I'm saying, but fellow smokers do. My room smelled fresh and clean. The carpet is clean and well padded. Bring some hangers with you if you hang your clothes as provided hangers are limited but we road warriors know how to work around that. Bed is comfortable and linens smell freshly laundered and appear clean. There is a sofa in my room which is an excellent alternative to what many other hotels call a lounge area in their room. The desk is large enough for your laptop with an unobtrusive lamp and a provided Ethernet cable should you not be able to connect wirelessly. The fridge has separate fridge and freezer sections for those of us who have used those gawd awful all-in-one cheap motel units. The microwave is small but powerful enough. My room is facing I-95 and I like to sleep with my window cracked for fresh air. Traffic noise is not as much an issue as any other hotel in this immediate area, and believe me, traffic noise from Rt 22 and Beards Hill are L O U D what with the ghetto cars, matchbox cars, and late night deliveries to local businesses. Any light coming in can be blocked with either the semi-light curtain drawn or the light blockers. It is true that Ripken Stadium is nearby but I have every confidence that if you politely tell the staff on check in that you are a business traveler, they will try to place you in an area of the hotel that will have the least amount of noise as possible. Which brings up another point. I am near the ice machine. I know for a fact that someone was getting ice earlier because I saw them when I was checking to see if I had placed my DND sign on my door. I couldn't hear the ice splashing into their bucket. I highly recommend this hotel to business travelers. Not to say pleasure travelers will not enjoy their stay, but that is normally a short term, short lived stay and as someone who works in Harford County I can say thank you for supporting our local economy, but as someone who drives nearly 5 hours every week one way to go to work, I can say that if your employer will approve these accommodations, you will be rested and comfortable. Plus...there's breakfast and dinner if you missed it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Malta, Montana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

The room was average. Needed a little more attention to detail with the cleaning. Basically ya get what ya pay for. Free breakfast in the restaurant was decent. The staff was friendly. The thing that irked me was the maid service. 2 of the 4 mornings the maid knocked on my door to see if we needed service. Can she not read the DO NOT DISTURB sign? Elevators need upgraded. They were slow.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Aberdeen, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Don't bother trying to get any help at the front desk. The fuschia-haired girl is too busy smooching all over some guy in a white sports car, right there at the front door. She is also extremely rude, crooking her finger at guests like they are barn animals. The elevators smell like urine. Dirty dishes and bags of garbage stay in the hallway for days at a time, mostly because a few of the housekeepers are too busy smoking out back by room 135 to do their jobs. Is the pool too crowded? That's because the female African-American maid is letting non-customers in a blue and silver pickup sneak in the back door near room 135 to use the pool. I know because I saw her do it. The broken light in the pool is a safety hazard as well as unsightly, so are the broken window on the side door and the broken emergency lights. I guess it's ok for the baseball teams to destroy property and get off scot free. Dinners are horrible, don't even bother to go look. We have walked out on several occasions because they look and smell worse than a welfare lunch. Baseball parents completely ignore the "no glass, no alcohol" signs, and the staff does absolutely nothing about it. Want to talk to the General Manager? He is nowhere to be found! If you can find the assistant, she is loud and rude, completely uncooperative in guest relations.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Philadelphia, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We were scheduled to stay at this hotel for a lacrosse tournament in Bel Air. The room was run down and dirty (hair in the sink and soap dish, liners laying next to the trash can instead of lining it, holes in the bed sheets). And we were charged a "discount" rate of $133. Maybe that is a kickback the travel agency is getting for sending people here. For $60 or $70 a night, it would be a fine place to stop over and catch a rest. I'm just thankful I didn't see some of the bugs my daughter's teammates did. On the plus side, there was an excellent breakfast at the adjoining restaurant.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Charles Town, West Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Our party was "given" rooms that had not been cleaned. One couple opened their door to find pizza boxes tossed around the room. Disorganized and generally unclean hotel. Pool was ghetto, with cracked concrete that had simply been painted over.

There are several options at that same exit near Ripken Stadium, choose another place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberdeen
Red Roof Inn - Aberdeen
Budget Inn of Aberdeen
Budget Inn of Aberdeen
#7 of 15 in Aberdeen
4.5 of 5 stars 13 reviews

Been to Merit Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!