“A very nice business stay” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 1! Book Now
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Aberdeen
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“A very nice business stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

A very clean, modern hotel right next to I-95 (without the noise and fumes). Easy check-in, clean rooms, and convenient location. A few small gripes- new flat-screen TV in my room did not pull out (base was attached to table). This made it impossible to watch the TV from bed because 1/3 of the screen was obscured by the clothes bureau. Breakfast buffet is $13 and is really nothing special. This type of breakfast is complimentary in many hotels, including Courtyards. The gym is adequate- some free weights, 2 bikes, and 4 treadmills; it was better taken care of than the "gyms" I've seen in most other hotels. All in all, the cleanliness of the rooms, comfort of the bed, ample parking, and convenient location makes this hotel a winner in my book.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Johanna R, Manager at Courtyard Aberdeen at Ripken Stadium, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you Spedy1 for your review. We are currently looking into different ways to correct the television viewing angles that the new flat screens present. We understand that this is a concern for many of our guests and we are working diligently to find the best solution to the problem. The Courtyard Brand does not include complimentary breakfast as part of its brand standards. We do offer a hot buffet breakfast that includes several hot items, eggs/omelets made to order, fresh fruit bar, and bakery items. Once again thank you for taking time to review our property. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to the Courtyard, Aberdeen at Ripken Stadium.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

We traveled to Aberdeen Courtyard Marriott while participating in a baseball tournament. Overall the hotel was clean, and friendly. However when I made the reservation I was told by the booking agent I could book at the weekend rate and call back up to ONE day before check in and change to the tournament rate. The weekend rate is refundable while the tournament rate is not. I called to day before check in to change our rate only to be told by another agent " all of the tournament room rates are taken, we only reserve a few rooms at that rate". I explained what I was told previously ( and had the name of the agent I spoke with who told me this and was still told " NO". The rest of the trip was insane! Children running up and down the halls knocking on doors all hours of the night, and 2 children were stuck in the elevators because of playing around and the fire department has to be called to get them out! Needless to say it was like an animal house! The hotel was clean and the staff was friendly throughout the madness!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you KBB97 for your review. For 2012 our hotel is offering our Tournament Sports Rate for all guests traveling to the hotel to participate in sporting events. Due to our location we typically are filled with guests attending the Ripken Youth Tournaments. The Tournament Sports Rate is an Advance Purchase rate that is available up until two weeks before your arrival date. After that time the only rate available is our regular Weekend Rate. I understand your frustration in being told you could secure the Tournament Sports Rate the day before check-in. However as the rate was no longer available the day you called the agent was unable to meet your request. You also mention that children disturbed your stay as they were in the hallways and even got stuck in the elevator. We do have security that patrols our guest room hallways and the lobby to help combat these issues. We even ask that children under the age of 14 be supervised at all times. Unfortunately not all guests, adults and children a like, follow the rules and requests of our staff. Our staff prides themselves on being able to stay positive and deliver the best service possible no matter the atmosphere of the hotel.
Ridgewood, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We recently stayed here for a weekend Ripken tournament. Rate was $179 per night. Check in was fairly painless. Rooms were a decent size, standard for a Courtyard. The hotel offers a patio BBQ for dinner where everything is a la carte and rather pricey but it is convenient. Since we were there as a team we spent a lot of time in the common areas. We didn't use the pool but it looked tiny. We got 5 people into a room with 2 queen beds (BYO air mattress). I think they probably frown on this but we weren't hassled. Bar staff was friendly as was the rest of the staff I encountered. All in all it's all about convenience.

Room Tip: Look for a room overlooking the Ripken complex in back.
Montclair, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Next to the Ripken stadium and baseball tournament facilities. Rates are high ($150-220) as if for a destination hotel, but facilities are completely lacking--tiny indoor pool, lobby too small for teams and families meeting for baseball camp, tiny joke of a bar/restaurant.

If your son's baseball team is playing here, I suggest you all pitch in to get a double room for the kids (and perhaps another for the parents) to serve as a de facto clubhouse between and after games, but stay elsewhere. I moved to the Days Inn and got a outdoor pool, convenient parking, and a short (2 mi) trip to the Ripken facility. Paid only $60/night and had a decent sports bar (Greene Turtle) right behind it. (ps-travel 10 mins to Laurrapin Grill in Have de Grace for a good meal)

Hello Chris M.,
Thank you for your feed back regarding your stay at our property. I understand your comments regarding the size of our bar and restaurant. With this in mind during the summer months we have additional seating for our restaurant outside on our back patio. We have also added 12 picnic tables along the patio for guests to use if they choose not to dine in our restaurant.
Our hotel is located in the heart of the Ripken Baseball Complex, as such the hotel is a popular facility for tournament families. Our rates do reflect the demand for reservations at our hotel during the sell-out baseball tournament weekends.
Once again thank you for your feedback.
Smyrna, Delaware
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

Checking in at 5 pm today for Big and Rich Concert. One person at desk with several of us in line. After a significant wait we get our keys and head to room. Dirty towels hanging in bathroom. Send the hubby out with them as maids are still in hallway that has trash all on rugs. I shower and when deciding I better find hair dryer that is hanging in closet I see a glass by sink and ask hubby if he used a glass all ready . You guessed right. No. And it had liquid in it. Yuck. Ring marks not cleaned off on nite stand. I give up. We paid more money for location to walk to concert but this is ridiculous and coming down to go to concert desk is packed so can't complain yet. Shame on you Marriott! Much better hotels down the street. Dirty and unfriendly isn't a great start.

• Stayed July 2012
, Owner at Courtyard Aberdeen at Ripken Stadium, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. It is always helpful to hear directly from our guests so we can review our processes to ensure we are satisfying our guest expectations. I am working with our housekeeping manger to further investigate the issues you mention in your review. I have messaged you for additional information regarding your stay.

Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Courtyard by Marriott in Aberdeen.
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed here overnight while in the area for a friend's wedding. Check-In/Out were a breeze and the staff was friendly. Our room was very clean and the bed was super comfortable. The hotel is about a 5 minute drive from the restaurants/bars in Aberdeen, but was still quite convenient. Our second night in the area, we stayed at the Holiday Inn (as part of the wedding room block) and we found the Courtyard to be MUCH nicer. We will stay here again if we return to the area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Roanoke, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

I stayed here just a week prior to the baseball season, so I couldn't enjoy the walk across the street for a game, but I did get to see part of a little league game in the "backyard" while walking into the hotel. More importantly, the hotel itself was comfortable and secure.

Check in was quick and easy, as I've come to expect with any Marriott hotel. The front desk staff was friendly and professional. They did point out that the TVs would be replaced sometime that week (from old CRTs to flat panels). Kinda wondered about this since the hotel didn't look old enough for analog TVs. The lobby area was clean and up to date.

The room was comfortable and secure, but the furniture arrangement was inconvenient: the wardrobe was placed so that it blocked the view of the TV from the bed (especially after the flat panels, with no slide out, were installed). The bathroom was very nice, and everything in both areas was quite clean and well maintained. Noise levels were fine, though I wonder what it might be like with a game across the street. WiFi was good throughout my stay, and power outlets are conveniently located for the business traveler.

Parking was free, but not very convenient. It was all located at one end of the building and shared with the deluxe little league field next door. Even without a game going on there was a considerable walk. I think it would be worse for the folks at the attached Residence Inn, an even longer walk from the lot.

There weren't any restaurants in the immediate area, but you could find some just the other side of I-95 - only about five minutes away.

All in all, I'm not sure about this place but I'll probably stay here again since there's not much choice in the Aberdeen area.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to Courtyard Aberdeen at Ripken Stadium? Share your experiences!