“Very Good Experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Aberdeen
Tabernacle, United States
“Very Good Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

This is our 4th time staying at this hotel for the same type of visit- baseball tournament. Staff is very nice and helpful. Rooms are of very comfortable and nice for basic stuff. Great location and very nice lobby. Will return and recommend to others.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Andy F, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Aberdeen, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Hello Alejandro F S;
We certainly appreciate your patronage and shout out on Trip Advisor! I'm so happy that you are comfortable here. Hope to see you again soon!
Andy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Aberdeen, MD, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

Great value, excellent staff, very clean. I stay there all the time and am never disappointed. If you need to be on business or pleasure in Havre de Grace or Aberdeen , MD you will not go wrong by staying here.

Hello Michael R;
Thank you for taking a moment to help us spread the word! We appreciate your patronage and hope to see you again very soon!
World
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

I stayed at this property for the first time this past weekend for a work trip. When I booked my room, I called the hotel directly, then was promptly transferred to a national reservations line. The lady at the front desk acted as if she didn't have time to answer any questions. I usually prefer to speak to the hotel directly because they seem to have a better idea of occupancy then the national line. While booking with the national reservation line, I asked if I could have a single king room since I was traveling by myself for work, the customer service agent said this property only will book double queen rooms at government rate, but she will put a note in the reservation in event the occupancy was low that evening.

When I arrived at the hotel, I was greeted by the two guest services staff members at the front desk, I was thanked for being an HHonors member, so on. I politely asked if I could have a single king for the night, the first lady told me there is no such thing for government rate travelers. The second lady tried to interject that it was slow. From my observation, the parking lot was nearly empty and I was checking in at 11 PM. The first lady stood her ground and off I went to my room. After settling in my room, I left to go get some food since I had been traveling all day. When I got back, I noticed that there were only 8 cars in the parking lot, all in the front. Not as busy as the lady at the front desk would try and lead me to believe. The following morning I got up to go to breakfast before work and realized it is the first time I have stayed at a Hilton Garden Inn and not have a breakfast voucher included. No big deal. (Later on after meeting the manager Andy, he tried to make it sound like I didn't know the difference between the Hilton Garden Inn and The Hampton Inn like he did to a previous poster on here when it came to the breakfast voucher policy. Ha good one, but yes Andy I do know the differences. Andy, please understand I was just asking and did not need the condescension, I know each property has their own policies on this, I travel for a living you know.) After I had breakfast, I noticed a gentleman by the name of Andy slide his name placard on the wall as manager of the day. I recognized the name from reading previous TripAdvisor reviews. Knowing that I needed to book more reservations for longer durations, I approached Andy and asked if it was possible for me to have a single king for my future stay. He said sure, let me see what I can do, he also thanked me for actually reading the TripAdvisor comments he posted. From there, I was booked for 11 nights stay for the following week. This is where it got frustrating later in the day. I went to work for the day and we found out we needed to stay in the area another night to finish a project. So I came back to this hotel to try and book a room for the night. The guest services associate at the front desk said she could not book myself and a coworker at government rate because we are contractors. I informed the young lady that Andy booked me for 11 more nights that morning for a separate week, she called Andy and he said he didn't recall the conversation. He's the one that booked it! We had a long conversation about the TripAdvisor comments. So then the young lady snaps at me and says, "we give government rates as a courtesy to service members and government civilians. We don't have to give that rate." In which I replied, you give that rate to maintain high occupancy and generate revenue like any good business would do. I can't believe she tried to spin it off as if they were trying to do a service member a favor. I've was one for 10 years before deciding to change careers, so please don't talk to me like thrash. I told her I know she doesn't make the policies, but why would we, as contractors pay $30 extra a night for the same room? Contrary to popular belief, not all government contractors make a ridiculous high salary. Also, we are only reimbursed at government rate in accordance with the published GSA rates. Anything extra comes out of our pocket.

In the end, my point is this, was it worth it to loose out on 11 nights of revenue with the potential for 3 additional weeks the following month all over your government rate policy being so vague? I made sure to cancel my future reservation that Andy had setup for me. Government contractor rate is not even listed on the site when booking. Also, this hotel tried to tell me the policy on how our employers get reimburse by the government for travel. Yeah ok! We don't get anything extra or above what a service member would get for travel. Besides, I did not nor would I ever go to that town on any kind of personal travel. I will not be staying at this property again. I gave this property 2 stars because of my 2 good encounters with other staff members aside from all of this.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Andy F, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Aberdeen, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Hi Rolling_Stone170
Thank you for your comments. Please let me know personally if I can help you in the future.
Northen Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

Seeing as how this hotel has none of what you see in a bug fancy hotel (bar, restaurant, gift shop, porters, valet, etc), there's no reason it should be so expensive.

Pros:
- Clean
- Friendly staff
- Comfortable bed (some sort of sleep number ripoff, but I liked it)
- Free wifi

Cons:
- Way too expensive for Aberdeen. This ain't Manhattan.
- Breakfast was too expensive

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Hi JimboBauer;
You're right, we are far from Manhattan; but the same principles apply. As demand increases for our limited number of sleeping rooms, and supply decreases, prices will go up. Also, just for the record, we do have a restaurant and bar. We serve breakfast each morning and are open for dinner from 5pm until at least 9pm nightly.
I'm sorry we were not all you were looking for.
southboro, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

Everything about the stay was great until breakfast. There is a $10.95 P/P charge. By the time your done with taxes, tip, etc., your approaching $30. Food was typical Hilton property breakfast except that there is a cook to make omlets, waffles etc. Never experienced this @ a Hilton property before. I'll make my own waffle and save the $ or go to McDonalds next time.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Hi Jack N
Many of our Guests love the breakfast option, and I'm sorry you didn't. Thank you for taking a minute to share that with us. Not sure if you travel with children, but they do eat for free with each paying adult.
Safe travels-
Allentown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

This was our second stay at this hotel and I highly recommend it. Very clean, quiet, well appointed rooms. The front desk staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Good location and easy to find, it has
plenty of on site parking, lot is well lighted at night. Convenient to shopping and many restaurants and fast food.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello RetiredAndHappy101
Your comments, and patronage are appreciated! The hotel staff also thanks you for taking a moment to post your thoughts for the TA community.
Travel safely,
Marlton, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

Lots of choices in Aberdeen but it was well worth the extra dollars to avoid the nightmares that I heard from other folks that had chosen the "cheaper" choices. Great location, clean and staff friendly. They even got me into my room a few hours early. Will only make one call the next time I'm in town.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Dear Michael L
Thank you so much for posting that short comment! Yes, there are many hotel choices within the area, and sometimes people think, Aberdeen MD (?) anything more than $100 per night would be surprising....but, the surprise was reserved for the others!
Hope your comments are well read....

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Aberdeen? Share your experiences!