“Not Five Star quality, but a good solid value.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Hotel Aberdeen

Save Saved
You added Clarion Hotel Aberdeen to your Saves list
Clarion Hotel Aberdeen
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   980 Hospitality Way, Aberdeen, MD 21001 (Formerly Four Points by Sheraton)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #12 of 15 hotels in Aberdeen
USA
“Not Five Star quality, but a good solid value.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2009

I didnt have any of the issues experienced by any other travelers. The building is definitely older, but it has had what appears to be a relatively recent refresh of the guest rooms. My room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and I had no problems checking in. The hotel does allow pets (complete with a bowl of doggie biscuits on the front desk), but I couldnt tell if any had been in my room before. Plenty of hot water, and a new AC unit that has a wall mounted thermostat with an actual temperature setting on it. The doors on the bathroom and closet were old and didnt close very well, and the ceilings in the bathroom and hallway are pretty low (and Im pretty short, so thats saying something). The elevators definitely need an upgrade, since they were small, shaky, and a little disconcerting. Clarion was offering $25/day in food or beverage credits that could be redeemed at the club or on site restaurant. Again, the restaurant isnt much to look at, but the food was pretty tasty.

All in all, I wouldnt hesitate to stay here again if I had to in the future. Its right off of I-95, and was a pretty good deal for a hotel from a major chain (especially if you factor in that a quarter of the room price came back to me in food credits). If you are passing through the area, and need a place to crash for the night, its worth a look. But if you are hoping for a destination, you will probably want to look elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo

75 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2009

Forget this hotel if you enjoy relaxing with online gaming. It is BLOCKED by this hotel which effectively blocks any VPN connections also. So a business traveller could not do any work with their parent company here either.
Otherwise the rooms were decent and being a smoker the room I stayed in did not have an overpowering deodorizer smell like some have.
Note: I had stayed in this hotel the last time I was in area about 2 years ago and it has improved except the high speed internet which they ruined.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
ClarionAberdeen, Director of Sales at Clarion Hotel Aberdeen, responded to this review, April 8, 2010
We appreciate receiving feedback from our guests as we strive to improve our services on a continual basis. When you stayed with us in October, we had been limiting the amount of bandwidth to our guest rooms so that we could provide the best connectivity to the rooms. The gaming program that you were trying to run was very intensive and required a tremendous amount of bandwidth. If only you had let our staff know during your stay that you were having a problem connecting, we would have gladly redirected additional bandwidth to your room. You had made your problem to our GM as you were checking out.
Our GM took your comments to heart and has since added bandwith and now the access isue has been adjusted.
Newington, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

Outside appearance was fine. Rooms were not clean. Dust in the corners. Bathrooms were dirty. Breakfast that was included with the room charge was not edible. Scrambled eggs were hard and turning orange around the edges. Home Fries did not taste right. pastries and doughnuts were stale.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Hummelstown
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

We stayed here at the end of June for a family wedding and I would highly recommend that anyone looking for a hotel in Aberdeen keep on looking.

As a family of 5, it is very difficult to find a hotel nowadays that will allow us all in one room - with a rollaway or not. I'd be happy to pay for adjoining rooms, but hotels will not promise that either, but I digress.

In any case, the Clarion not only allowed the 5 of us in one room, but also provided a rollaway at an additional cost. Frankly, I thought I hit the jackpot and hoped that the poor reviews on this site were from very "particular people". All I wanted was a clean room. Anything else was a bonus, especially at the cost. Here's what I got:

1/ Staff at the front desk who informed me that my early check-in request (of one hour so we could dress for the wedding) was not indicated on the computer (But the woman was very helpful and polite, unlike other people's experiences)
2/ Keys to a room that had no beds!! That's right, no beds! We arrive at a room with an open door, no beds, and tools lying around everywhere.
3/ Shock and disbelief from the front desk staff at the room with no beds because it wasn't marked on the computer. (But again, she was kind and helpful, even though a long line had now formed at the front desk.)
4/Crazy scramble to find us, at minimum, a place to change.
5/ Found us a room that barely fit a rollaway. In fact, if my husband had not moved some of the furniture, the rollaway would have completely blocked anyone's way to the door. Huge problem in case of a fire and inconvience at any other time.
6/ Door to the room didn't automatically shut behind you - like every other door in the known hotel world.
7/ Loud people in the hallways at all hours of the day and night. Terribly unrestful sleep.
8/ Housekeeping staff knocked on our door at 9am to see if we "were ready to check out so they could clean the room". FYI, we had our "do not disturb" sign in place, but that shouldn't matter. Check out time wasn't until 11 or 12....why are we being bothered to leave before that time?
9/ Breakfast at the onsite restaurant was not good (but I've had worse "free" breakfasts to be sure!) and cleanliness was questionable.

Here is what I will say in favor of the Clarion: the room itself was clean, the woman at the front desk when we checked in was helpful and worked to solve the bed-less room issue, and the maid who provided the rollaway was very accomodating...making sure we had enough towels and toiletries.

That, however, is not enough. I'll stay somewhere, anywhere, else if I find myself needing a room in Aberdeen again. And I guess I'll start looking for more than a clean room because that might be all I get :)

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
MD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

We stayed there the night of our wedding and one of the staff tried to pick a fight with my husband after the man had gotten in my face and yelled at me for not having my ID on me when I was in my wedding dress. I had presented my ID many times earlier in my stay so it wasn't like everyone working there didn't know I was over 21. Our room did not have working AC and our friend's room did not have a working bathroom light.

• Stayed May 2009
NYC Suburbs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

Went to Aberdeen Proving Ground and decided to stay overnight...stopped at this hotel on a whim. Lobby was clean and desk staff pleasant. We paid $62/night. Room was nice sized, clean and well appointed. No scum or mold in the shower. Carpet was clean. Bed very comfy. I've stayed in hotels much more expensive than this and they weren't as clean and comfy. There was a small sofa and desk, and the internet worked fine. Also, free hot breakfast served in the attached restaurant! How can you go wrong? Only downside was that the snack machine was broken. This was a real bargain and I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Excellent experience overall.

• Liked — price, breakfast, convenience, cleanliness
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2009
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2009

We always stay here on our way down I-95 to Florida. It's a great hotel all around and it takes pet with no additonal fee (That's rare) . Clarion is a great hotel brand as well. If you are driving, you can pick up their coupon for $62 dollar a night stays at rest stops in RoomSaver book. The front desk is great, especially Dreama, who was especially kind and informative. She really cared that we had a great stay. The rooms are all renovated. The carpets, wall paper, furniture are all clean and relatively new. The hallways and elevators could be neater/newer but their ok. I don't spend my time in the hallways. The beds are comfortable with crisp linings. They have a lot of channels on the television. The bathroom supplies are from Neutorgena and are very nice. The Clarion Hotel towels are nice as well. The bathroom fixtures are somewhat older but still clean. The temperature controls worked well... heating exactly and quietly. The room had a great business desk with free ethernet internet connection. The room also had an additional chair that was comfortable and clean. Overall great stay. Breakfast in the morning was hot and complete with fresh eggs, potatoes, meats, cereals, fruit, etc. Parking was close to door and car was visible entire night. The lot was well lit and Aberdeen police patrolled the lot. It was very nice! Where else do you get a pet friendly hotel, great room, and nice breakfast for $62? I highly recommend it in Aberdeen along I-95!

• Stayed January 2009
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Clarion Hotel Aberdeen? Share your experiences!