“Don't "Experience" this” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Hotel Aberdeen

Save Saved
You added Clarion Hotel Aberdeen to your Saves list
Clarion Hotel Aberdeen
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   980 Hospitality Way, Aberdeen, MD 21001 (Formerly Four Points by Sheraton)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #12 of 15 hotels in Aberdeen
Lumberton, New Jersey
“Don't "Experience" this”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Upon arrival, there was obvious signs of neglect, however, being 9:00pm and the fact I was traveling alone with my son I decided to try to overlook the poor first impression. In the common areas, the tile flooring is cracked, broken and dirty. The carpeting is filthy and musty and the elevators are in need of maintenance. We checked in and went to our room; upon entry there was a musty, stale odor. When we opened the mini-fridge, it was not operating and there was approximately ¼” of standing old water in the freezer portion. I called the lobby, but could not get an answer so I was forced to take my son back down to discuss this problem. I explained the issues and the young lady (who didn’t appear surprised at all by my complaints) immediately gave me another room. We moved our belongings and found only a slightly better room for the moment. The odor was not as overwhelming and at least the mini-fridge was operating. There was a stain on one of the beds, so my son slept with me. The bath area was “top clean” meaning that it was obvious that deep cleaning of the area had not occurred in some time, but rather it appeared to be wiped down. In the morning I went to start my shower, only to have a problem with the faucet. I pushed, pulled, twisted and turned but could not get the water faucet in the tub / shower to come on. After about 10 minutes, I called the Front Desk and explained the issue. The young lady (again not surprised), chuckled and said, “oh yea – some of them are tough – just pull real hard. If you still have problem let me know and I’ll come do it for you”. So, in my disgust I again pulled for almost another 5 minutes before finally getting so angry I pulled one last time in frustration when it finally came on. Quickly I took my shower as my eyes constantly looked at the obvious cleaning issues. We left for our game and I spent the morning searching for an alternate hotel to stay. After our game I checked out early explaining to the young lady my dissatisfaction.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
ClarionABManager, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Aberdeen, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
I am sorry to hear about the issues that you encountered during your stay with us. We do realize that guests expect clean rooms, adequate supplies, and to have everything in working condition. Every effort is made to accomplish these service basics and I apologize in that we fell short of your expectations.

We are very close to the Ripken baseball complex and it is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to earn your business. We feel as though we are the best value in the area for Ripken baseball patrons.

75 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Syracuse
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Nothing bad to say at all.. Room very clean and quiet. Hotel a bit old but still clean and quiet. Bed was comfortable Food was amazing. A great hotel to stay. Checkin was easy and staff were friendly. Would stay here again..

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a response to your stay with us. It was nice of you to compliment us on our food, cleanliness, and being quiet. We hope that you can visit us again in the near future.
Stafford, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

When selecting this "motel" (the name is deceiving) on the web, it appeared to be much newer. Strangely enough, after you check in, the elevators are located half way through the motel. This is only after you climb a slight incline 12X12 brick walkway. Upon arriving at the room, (after walking through a rather dingy hallway and what seemed like two carpet thickness on the floor) I was a bit surprised to see the room rather large, modern, (microwave and fridg) and nicely laid out. I am not sure if it was the drive up there, or the perfect firmness of the bed, but everyone in our party said they all had a good nights sleep. The "free" breakfast in the morning was not your typical continental breakfast, they had scrambled eggs, bacon, link sausage, Belgian waffles, milk, coffee, orange juice and great service. The staff at this motel, is professional, and very courteous. I will be staying here again. Don't let your first impression when you walk down the hall fool you.

Room Tip: No construction, no room noise from the other rooms. I had people on either side of me, never heard...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review on your stay with us. I am happy to hear that you will be back to see us. I have to agree that we do a great job with breakfast and have very comfortable beds. We are working on the hallway impression that you mention and hope to have that solved before we see you again.
Long Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We just returned from staying at this hotel for 3 nights with our baseball team. For the most part, I have not much negative to say about the place. Our room was clean, had a great tv and the a/c worked. I heard different from other families though. But the place was perfect for what we needed. There were other teams staying there as well but everyone behaved themselves and there weren't any problems. The pool was welcoming to all of us. A great place to get together, BUT it closes at 9pm, not giving the kids in our group a place to gather but in the hallway, which would bother hotel guests, not in our group. Pool towels were available as was a nice sized exercise room. Breakfast buffet available daily and was not bad at all. Teams that book with this hotel are also given a $25 voucher/room/night to eat at the on site restaurant. There's also a club located on site that had several large security guards at the door, hmmm... Would definitely stay here again if we were in the area.

Room Tip: if you get the voucher to eat at Durango's, go as soon as they open. Service is SLOW, but good...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to wirte your review of our hotel. Over the course of the summer, we have the opprotunity to meet many different teams from many different areas. We are glad that you had a positive experience and hope that anyone in your group that may have had issues brought them to our attention and that we were able to handle them in a prompt and courteous manner.
Joppa, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

I travel a lot and I am very picky. rooms where clean service was awesome. The location was ideal and the price was good for area. Breakfast was good. Would stay again. The pool was also very clean. Entertainment was good at Diamond Club.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Awesome Review, thanks. Look forward to seeing you again.
Huntsville, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

There is a funk to the hotel from the days it used to be an all smoking place. However, they did give it a recent refurbish. Beds are nice, the king bed room has a sofa and flat screen tv. The elevators are old and scary, but work. The workout room is great. Large with weights available. The breakfast included with the room is good. Bathroom is old. Old tubs with new facets and shower heads, low water pressure. For the price the Clarion is the best of the worst in aberdeen.

Room Tip: Stay on the lower floors to avoid any left over smoke.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write your review on our hotel. We appreciate your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you experienced odors that should have been more pleasant and happy to hear that you enjoyed our beds, flat screen tvs, exercise room, and breakfast. If you visit our area again in the future, we hope that you will choose us for your lodging needs.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

1. Not clean: pubic hair in bathtub, sink dirty, bathroom floor not clean, countertop with unwiped stains.

2. Front desk lady was rude and lethargic, when we told her the room was unclean, she replied " make sure you report this in the morning to housekeeping," !! As if it is our job to do that!

3. Hallways smell of dirty carpets( old smoke) and urine. My 5 year old commented " it smells like throw up in here"

• Stayed July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our hotel. We apolgize for the issues that you experienced and we have used your comments to make us a better hotel with better customer service. We have shared your comments with housekeeping and front desk and reminded them of our committment to service basics.

Been to Clarion Hotel Aberdeen? Share your experiences!