I've griped about Augusta's lodging stock before (see my review of the town's EconoLodge) but this time expected better with the Holiday Inn.
Apparently Holiday Inn, as a chain, is relaunching their properties with upgrades beds, bathrooms, and lobbies, and new signs. This hotel still has the old sign and a really drab exterior, but its clear they are in the process of making some improvements. My parents had stayed at the hotel in previous years and reported that the lobby had been refinished. There is now a flatscreen TV with CNN (or Wrestling, depending on which clerk is on duty) in one corner above a cheesy looking fake fireplace. But the floor tile looked improved and the front desk was new marble and wood. Still the lobby had the impression of a roadside motel, it was small and the furniture wasn't pareticularly attractive or comfortable. Did have free coffee and hot chocolate on one side and a Poland Spring water cooler on the other, which was nice. Did not walk into the Ground Round restaurant, which wasn't visible from the lobby.
Guestroom corridors were clearly being re-wallpapered, and in some places the wallpaper was complete and in others it wasn't and in others it was messily hanging off the wall.
Guestrooms also appear to have been fixed up. Bed was newish, that typical flower-print bed spread had been replced with something a little nicer, and the pillows were a tad nicer, but overall the bed still wasn't great, just average. TV was not flatscreen. Guestroom artwork was the drab watercolors from the 80s, but the room had a pretty big mini-fridge and a self-service coffee maker.
The bathroom was in the process of being restored and, while small, had a pretty nice marble vanity, good water pressure, and a curved shower rod. One piece of the wall covering was missing however, and had construction "gunk" all over it. Need to address that ASAP. Towels were average and the amenities, a bottle of shampoo/conditioner and a bottle of skin moisturizer, were Garden Botanika brand, never head of it and did not use. Two bars of soap were also included. No facewash or shower gel or liquid body soap.
Overall, was decent, but next time would like to try the newer looking Fairfield Inn on the west side of I-95.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Plus Civic Hotel Augusta
- Best Western Plus Civic Hotel
- Holiday Inn Augusta
- Augusta Holiday Inn
- BEST WESTERN PLUS Augusta Civic Center Inn Maine
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Conveniently located adjacent to the Augusta Civic Center, 1/2 mile from I-95 and within three miles of the Augusta State Airport and the State of Maine Capital. If you're looking to get away from it all, this pet friendly hotel's location in the heart of Central Maine makes us an affordable and convenient starting point for your skiing, snowshoeing or ice fishing adventures. In addition, our location offers ample snowmobiling or ice- fishing outings and a myriad of other winter activities! Want to check out some Maine Lakes during the winter time? The Belgrade Lakes region is just a short drive away and is filled with scenic winter beauty! For a true Maine adventure check out the Viles Arboretum, located just a short drive away, which boasts nature trails, great for cross country skiing or snowshoeing! Maine's largest open-air shopping center, The Marketplace at Augusta, is located just across the street! There are antiquing opportunities in nearby Hallowell, and the Freeport outlets are just 40 minutes away. Old Fort Western and the Maine State Museum are sure to provide hours of enjoyment. Leading health care providers such as the new, state of the art MaineGeneral Medical Alfond Center for Care, the Togus VA, and the Harold Alfond Center for Cancer Care are just a short drive from the hotel. Enjoy our free hot continental breakfast as well as in room refrigerators and microwaves! Business travelers will appreciate our newly upgraded high-speed wireless internet! Need to de-stress after a long day? Burn up some calories in our well equipped onsite fitness center featuring an elliptical, treadmills, stationary bike, universal machine, free weights and more! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Tingo, Best Western, Agoda, Venere and Fareportal so you can book your BEST WESTERN PLUS Augusta Civic Center Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.