“I want to like this place more, but...” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mac's Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 73 Restaurants in Auburn
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: We are a high energy restaurant with a vibrant neighborhood bar and grill appeal. Though we are known for our steaks, you will find there is something on the menu to please anyone in your group. We serve Choice Black Angus beef which is hand cut daily on the premises. Whether you are looking for a full course meal, or just out for a cold beer and a great burger, you are sure to feel right at home. So, throw on your most comfortable jeans and join us for a great meal and lots of laughs. Just a couple miles from downtown Auburn, you can't miss our log cabin featuring a comfortable deck for outside dining.
Auburn
“I want to like this place more, but...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

First, the food. Good to very good, though sometimes a bit inconsistent, the prep and presentation are generally pretty good. A bit pricey based on my fairly extensive travels and experience at restaurants around the country, but Mac's is the best local choice for steaks, in my experience.

Though the place is always crowded, it's also been my more recent experience that the service drags it down. Mind you, I was a waiter at a good steakhouse in my youth, and I'm pretty sensitive to the plight of food servers (rude, demanding, and unreasonable patrons), and I try to cut some slack here. But my last two visits have been real disappointments.

- I hate having to wait until dinner is completed to get a water refill, even after asking politely.

- I hate having my steak delivered to the table 90 seconds after the french onion soup has been delivered, even though it was pretty clearly ordered as an appetizer (and so listed on the menu).

- I hate being made to feel that I've done something wrong when I politely and reasonably register my dissatisfaction with the server.

- I hate that I still feel compelled to leave any tip (I left about a 13% tip, far, far more than was earned), even though there was no apology or recognition that this was clearly NOT good service, even topped off with a hint of server arrogance.

In this case, we took our onion soup home, 'cause we did not want the steaks to get cold. I would have said something to the hostess on our way out, but the waitress was standing right next to her and I did not need to make a scene or make anyone else uncomfortable.

Sadly, this has become a trend at Mac's. I hope they get their act more together. I will likely end up there again, but it has fallen way off in my satisfaction ratings.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Auburn, Maine
“Steakhouse”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

An alternative to the big chains, this is a steakhouse located on Minot Ave. Reservations on the weekend are definitely required and even then there may be a bit of a wait. The food was good, but it is one of those steakhouses where everything is ordered a la carte. Service was decent if a bit rushed

Visited September 2012
Alexandria, Minnesota
“Steak is great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

The grill cut steak is 22oz and it is great, I normally can finish this size steak, but not this time, the steak was seasoned and cooked to perfection and much bigger than I thought. The salmon is also very good. We had great service and good food

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dallas, Texas
“good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Lobster rolls. We sat outside on the patio on a beautiful evening. Crowded restaurant, so it must be good. a little pricey.

Visited August 2013
MaineUSA
“Good Place for a Meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I've eaten there a few times and decided to do a review when I visited the next. I stopped there on a Sunday night with my adult son. As others may have noted there can be a wait at times during a weekend, especially Saturday. We were promptly seated and the server was right there to take our beverage ( Shipyard Draft) order. I ordered the full rack of ribs with mashed potatos and salad. My son ordered the 12 oz. ribeye with mashed potatos and salad. Wait time before the main meal was minimal with the salad served first. The ribs were good but after my son raved about his steak, I regretted not ordering the same. The sides were also good. Anyway, it's still a nice place and I'll return when I have a good excuse.

• Visited July 2013