“Shame on this hotel, Stay Away” 1 of 5 stars

Double HHonors Points
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Auburn
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Amsterdam, New York
“Shame on this hotel, Stay Away”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

As a diamond member with the Hilton chain I'm embarrassed that I have to even write this review. I stay in hotels roughly 100 times a year and in the past three years this was by far the worst hotel visit I have had. I attempted to allow the hotel to make up for this stay, but three months later I have gotten no where so therefore I feel I need to share my experience.

I arrived at the hotel after several delayed flights a little after midnight. I was told that they oversold the hotel and I was to be given a smoking room in a closed wing. The front desk clerk however told me that prior to checking me in he had to go remove an ionizer that was placed in the room to try and cover up what I was about to go into. The room was gross, let the photos prove for themselves. Since it was after midnight and my bags did not arrive with me and I had no way to contact the airline at that hour to advise I was changing hotels I just stayed. I asked for the front desk clerk to have the manger contact me in the am. In the am, my clothes soaked in all of the smoke smell that was left behind in that room and I was forced to attend my meeting the next morning smelling like ta dirty ashtray. Upon leaving the room I noticed a hand written note that was left by the night auditor advising me things would be ok and had I not had a delayed flight I might not have gotten so worked up over the room, but agreed he too would not stay there. Still no call from the manger I arrived in Portland at the next HGI. I shared my experience with them who immediately placed a call to the Auburn location. Then and only then was I contacted by Allison Beane who agreed with me on all levels of the room being disgusting and the handwritten note not being called for. She also told me that the hotel would be happy to send me a check for the 46.00 in dry-cleaning that I had and offer up 10,000 bonus points for the problems. They also comped my room for the night. I forwarded my receipt to Mis Beane on March 14th and never heard anything back. I recently checked my HH account and big surprise there were no bonus points added either. I followed up 8 days ago with Miss Beane who said she never got my receipt but would look into it and guess what I still have yet to hear from her.

Yes, this chain is undergoing a remodel, but I have a feeling the service will still continue to not be there. In a separate incident three years ago at the same hotel my room was also comped when the from desk gave room keys to a couple who entered while I was in the using the shower. Not a good thought for a single women traveling or anyone for that matter. Crazy!

By all means stay away from this hotel and support the local Marriott in town or Beware you were forewarned.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
HGIAuburnMEGM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Auburn Riverwatch, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
Dear Chad
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on your recent stay with us.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the missteps that occurred.

As you can see by the positive feedback from fellow travelers, we strive to make every guest’s experience a memorable one. We clearly did not meet your expectations.
We would like to assure you that this is not in keeping with the high standards of service that we strive to deliver to our guest.

Allison has taken the steps needed to assure you that the points you mentioned in your comments have been processed. Furthermore, I expect the complimentary room you received in Portland was to your satisfaction.

I can assure you that you comments have been shared with our team. I am glad to inform you that we are now a non-smoking hotel and our rooms refresh has now been completed.
We hope that you will allow us the opportunity to improve your image of our lovely hotel.
If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 207-514-2202

Henry Sirois

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Sebastian, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

This property is really lovely. When I approached the desk, I was greeted by a nice young lady who I didn't know at the time was the manager. Her name is Meghan, and she was so warm and caring. I told her of the awful day I had and she acted sincerely interested. She offered us a reduced rate on the room and threw in breakfast. She also said she was giving us a nice room overlooking the water. I was so impressed with the way she treated us. I love Hilton Garden Inns and have never had any kind of an issue at any I've stayed at. Almost immediately upon entering the room my husband fell asleep. When I came out of the shower, I noticed there was medium length black hair on the back of the toilet tank. I thought to myself that it hadn't been cleaned. When I went into the room I looked around and was amazed at what I found. Had my husband not been sleeping, I would have requested another room. The dark brown carpet didn't look like it had been vacuumed as there were little while fluffs on it in several areas, The backs of the beds were filthy with dust. I even ran my finger over half of mine and was able to draw a squiggly line on it. It was so bad that piles of dust landed on my pillow. The tops of all the furniture were also very dusty. The outside of the microwave was dirty, and the furniture top in front of the glasses for the coffee was dirty with dried on food or beverage, I couldn't tell which. I have been in very few properties that were this dusty and poorly maintained, and I have never been in a Hilton that was kept to these standards. It was pretty obvious to me that the poor housekeeping practices had been going on long before just my visit. Furniture doesn't get as dusty as this furniture was in a day or two. This was several days of neglect on the part of someone. Before leaving, I made a list of the problems, not to be nasty, but rather to let management know of what I found. Again, I would like to thank Meghan for the excellent job that she did. To housekeeping, for shame. This is a Hilton property, not some cheap, cut rate chain.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Barbara:

Thank you for staying with us while in the Auburn-Lewiston area:

Furthermore, thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us on Tripadvisor.
We would like to sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations during your stay. We would like to assure you that this is not in keeping with the high standards of service you would expect from us.

Your comments have been shared with our team, and steps have been taken to make certain this does not happen again.

Bangor, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

This place was easy to find, clean, and friendly staff. It was easy to "get around" the area from where it was located. The place had many features to utilize if you just wanted to stay there such as gym, pool, nice bar, beautiful lobby.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Dear Paulette:

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. Your feedback is valued. Our team is committed to providing memorable service, and we're glad it showed. We also love hearing that you enjoyed our facilities.

Thomaston, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

On checking in, we entered our room. We found the toilet was full of urine, and urine covered the floor. I tried calling the front desk, but couldn't hear them, as the phone in the room wasn't working correctly. We went downstairs, and Kayleigh at the front desk immediately put us in to a different room. The following morning, there was no hot water to take a shower, and were told that it had broken. Kayleigh was very understanding, and did what she could (offered us free breakfast), but this stay was atrocious.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

HGIAuburnMEGM, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Auburn Riverwatch, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
Dear Edwin:
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your stay with us via Tripadvisor.
We appreciate your comments and would like to apologize for not meeting your expectations.
Your comments have been shared with our team and steps have been taken to assure this type of situation does not happen again.
We hope you will visit us again and allow us the opportunity to make showcase our service

Sincerely

The Reception Team
Falmouth, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

This was my first time at the Hilton in Maine and the view of the river and falls was great. The in-room service took a little time to get but the food was very good. Comfort wise the pillows were the best part and they only use one sheet to cover the beds. Overall a really great experience

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Good Day Craig:

Thank you for choosing to stay with us while in the Auburn-Lewiston area.
Furthermore, thank you for taking the time to post your positive comments on Tripadvisor.

We look forward to welcoming you back during your next trip to our area.

Quincy, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I had an emergency visit to Maine without a place to stay. I saw the sign off the highway and followed it to the most wonderful surprise of a beautiful Hotel sitting at the bottom of the hill.
They were very accommodating and took in this poor tired traveler. The lobby is beautiful and my room was well appointed and spotlessly clean. The linens and towels were sparkling white and the room was pin drop quiet. An added plus was the coffee maker in the room. I'm a Hilton Honors member and was treated wonderfully by Meghan the Manager but I suspect they treat everyone like they are one also. I look forward to staying with them again in the near future. Thank You

Room Tip: I always stay above the first floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
HGIAuburnMEGM, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Auburn Riverwatch, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Jathan Fink:

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. I am happy to hear you found the oasis at the bottle of the hill! Our team truly loves what they do and we hope that it shows through our dedication and passion. I am so happy you found us and will be back! Thank you for sharing your kind words with TripAdvisor. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future. You Can Count On Us!

Meghan D'Abrosca
Front Office Manager
Hilton Garden Inn Auburn Riverwatch
meghan.d'abrosca@hilton.com
207-784-4433
Scarsdale, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

Recent renovations improved an already stellar outpost of the Hilton chain. The lobby with coffee in the am and snacks and drinks in the pm offers spaces to relax or watch a game. The rooms are clean and spacious offering both fixed and wireless connections. Views of half the rooms are of the mighty falls of the Androscoggin River that once powered the mills that made this metropolis great once. Health club now has new equipment.
In all a great experience especially for the price.
Hotel fills up during the week so reserve early.

Stayed April 2014

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Auburn Riverwatch? Share your experiences!