“excellent customer service, little else” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Alexandria
central illinois
“excellent customer service, little else”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2008

the front desk clerks were excellent! My card opened another door that was not supposed to open. the room was dirty, pretty sure the bottom sheet was not changed. There was a dirty glove on the floor and the bathroom clearly had not been cleaned. Will never stay again! Oh, and I got bit in the butt by a bedbug!!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
ponchatoula, louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2008

We had to stay in Alexandria for almost a week, and chose this hotel because of previous experience with the Choice Hotel brand. We knew to expect a fairly spacious room with decent amenities, nothing fancy, but clean. We were not disappointed in our expectations. I had some minor problems with the room: one of the dresser drawers had no pulls, so we couldn't really use it. No big deal if you're one night, but staying a week, minor problem. The other drawer in the dresser had the bottom kind of falling out and dirty. Again, in our situation, a bummer. The staff was very kind and helpful. Our key didn't work when trying to check in late and tired. The desk guy came out to check for himself and realized that the door lock was shot. He promptly went downstairs and checked us into a new room right next door and offered to help us carry our things in. WOW! There was a minor snafu with trying to extend check out time of realatives, but was resolved quickly when I went down & spoke with desk clerk. The restaurants nearby are good, and there's even a little bar for a nightcap. Great access to shopping and all the major stuff in Alexandria. Can be noisy with MacArthur Drive right there and 4 dumpsters being emptied at 3:30 am on Tuesday nights. I would stay again. Not on Tuesday.

• Liked — helpfulness/friendliness of staff
  • Disliked — noise of location
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2007

I booked a stay for my family. When they arrived, there was still soap and shampoo in the shower from the previous occupant. There was also a six-pack of Budweiser in the refrigerator. There was two young children in the room. It made me wonder if the room was really cleaned or not. Will not book with them again.

Stayed May 2007
San Antonio, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2006

We were looking for an inn with a 2 room suite. I called the property in advance & was told that their "suites" had 2 rooms. I specifically asked if there was a door that closed that divided the 2 rooms; I was told yes. We arrived, checked in and immediately went to this so called "suite". It was nothing more than a large room with 2 beds, a sofa and a microwave and mini-refrig. It didn't even have a partial divider like some of the hotels who advertise mini-suites (Like Comfort Inn). I called the front desk and expressed my surprise, thinking we'd been given the wrong room. The front desk supervisor, Joshua, informed me that our room was a "suite". I asked what made it a suite and he said, "the room is larger than the other rooms." I said I wasn't sure we would accept this and we might be checking out. He immediately responded(almost rudely) that if we checked out that we would be charged for 1 night stay any way (So much for the 100% guarantee policy that Quality Inn advertises...they even have a promotional card in the room saying 100% Satisfaction guaranteed or else the room is free! I didn't expect anything free but I did expect courtesy which I didn't get!) We stayed the night. The towels were ragged and thread bare. There were only 2 small styrofoam cups which immediately crumbled upon taking the plastic wrap from them. I WAS given more cups when I went to the lobby.
The bathroom was tiny; the door to the bathroom only cleared the toilet by about 1 inch! I arrived at the continental breakfast at 9 a.m. (scheduled to close at 9:30). There was no orange juice, only 1 bagel left and 2 danish left. It was not replenished while I was there. I don't expect elaborate continental breakfasts at hotels like this, but I would have thought there would be something more than what was available!
Upon check out, Joshua (HIM again) tried to charge me the rate of $104 ($119 w/tax). My reservation was for $86.39 & what I had signed for upon check-in was $86.39. I pointed out the error. He argued with me and told me I had to pay the $104 since I had a suite. I refused and reminded him that I had signed for the $86.39 the day before. He finally changed it and charged me the correct rate, but clearly was unhappy about doing so.
On the plus side, the AC worked beautifully and the beds were acceptable, although nothing special. The marquee outside the Quality Inn advertises they have "Suites." Don't believe it! We've stayed in numerous hotels with suites and mini-suites. Quality Inn in Alexandria does not come close. The only bright spot at this property was the delightful front desk clerk who checked us in. She is a Katrina survivor and had only been working at the hotel for a few months. She was friendly, happy and very competent. Too bad she has to work in a place that has so many problems and such a rude front desk supervisor.
We checked out after the 1st night and got a 2 room suite at the Best Western.(rate was $93.00)
If you want a suite in a hotel in Alexandria, go the Best Western; it's practically next door... one of their buildings has suites with 2 rooms, 2 tv's, a full size refrigerator, 3 sinks, a large bathroom, etc. Sofa needs replacing,and pillows could be better but it's definitely 100% better than the Quality Inn where quality is a big joke.

• Stayed April 2006

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!