“Very nice and helpful staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Alexander Fulton Hotel & Convention Center

Save Saved
You added Alexander Fulton Hotel & Convention Center to your Saves list
Alexander Fulton Hotel & Convention Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   701 4th Street, Alexandria, LA 71301 (Formerly Holiday Inn )   |
Ranked #14 of 20 hotels in Alexandria
Highland Calif
“Very nice and helpful staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Although this hotel is going thru renovations the service was great! can only imagine this hotel when it 's up and going in full speed again. Yes the facility is a little old. ( built in the the 1980's) but the rooms were clean and I did not smell any musk as noted on other reviews. The price is low for a hotel of this sought which I know will be much higher when the 8 million dollar renovation is complete. The hotel has deferred maintenance yes which being addressed with the new owners. We had our wedding reception in one of the ball rooms ( 150 people) the food was Great! so was the service. You may want to do your own decorating ( as we did) if you want "fancy" Jacqueline Robertson-Earthly

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are in need of new carpet. Just ask the desk and they will kindly change your room...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

58 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

Great staff. The historic neighborhood was quiet over the weekend. Perfect base of operations. I travel two to three weekends per month and Alexandria is generally a bleak spot. This hotel really brightened the trip.

• Stayed November 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

We came into town mid july cause family were in the hospital next door. And we had family pick us up from airport. And bring us to hotel we checked in and the was asking the two white girls at front about closes rent a car place to us. and they were not to sure but the tall white girl pull out her laptop and helped me find a budget and helped make reservation so we could go pick up the car the next morning. That is great service in my opinion. and yes the hotel is an old place but the rooms are cleaned and very friendly.. And this hotel dose offer a hospital rate to help the familys out. which is a blessing. if i were to have to come back to alexandria i would stay here only cause of the two girls at front desk.... they were great and i will be back because of the staff this hotel has...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

My daughter & friends stayed at this hotel, and someone put a fire extinguisher hose underneath the door to their room, and turned it on. They were awaken by the smell and the room was filled with what they thought was smoke. They ran out of the room, and someone went in the room after they ran out and stole their property. I called and spoke with hotel management and the owner of the hotel, and I was told they have cameras but the camera did not cover their room. They also told me what happened was not the hotel responsibility. So beware when you decide to stay here. Don't bring any valuables, and stay at your own risk.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Shreveport, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I traveled with a group on a business convention staying at the Fulton for 4 days. While you could tell that it was grand in its day, that day is gone. On a good note, the staff was friendly and helpful. There is a well equipped fitness room and there is a small pool. The pool did look fairly clean but there were no chairs, I could see dirt on the bottom, and I couldnt smell any chlorine at all so I didnt chance it. The elevators are very old and a little scary. Housekeeping was constantly working but I think it was an overwhelming task. There is a serious mildew problem in the entire hotel. You can smell it a little in the lobby but upstairs it is alot stronger. The entire hotel (lobby, hallways, and rooms) are dark and mildew smelling. Some of the rooms were so foul smelling that some of our group had to be moved to other rooms. Housekeeping did clean the rooms daily but towels were not always left, the bathrooms werent cleaned well, and you could see black mildew on the window edges and in corners. The carpets were filthy and left your socks or bottom of your shoes black. Some of our group found that they had bedbugs the first night. One member of our group was bit on the face by something in his sleep and had to be treated at a medical facility the next morning. The hotel is not close to any food establishments (other then a small not so clean grill a few blocks away that serves breakfast & lunch). The $10 lunch buffet the hotel offers is definately not worth it. And once we realized the lack of cleanliness in the hotel we didnt want to eat from there anyway. There is no continental breakfast as advertised on the website. Even in the convention room, you could smell mildew, the walls were dirty, and you could see caked up dust & grime on the air conditioner vents. I was glad to leave and hope I dont get sick from the place. If I travel to Alexandria again I'll be staying elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Prairieville, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

My family and I stayed two nights at the Alexander Fulton. Our stay was very comfortable and pleasant. The beds were very comfortable and we slept great. The hotel is old but very clean and the staff was very helpful and friendly. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Alexandria, Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

I recently stayed at the Alexander Fulton and was appalled at service we received by a couple of your staff. First, I've never been treated so rudely or disrectful in all my travels, as I was with the lady on the front desk. She acted like we were a bother to her and said so in so many words. We asked for a microwave and she told us rudely that if we wanted one, then give her $ 10.00. We also had a group of children and she told us she wasn't babysitting our kids, that they couldn't sit in the lobby and watch tv, altho there was an adult with them. I wished I had gotten her name but she was a very large white woman.
The second staff was the woman sitting at the register at the buffet. She was very loud and unprofessional. She seemed very racial, as she would ignore the white persons while she visited with her black friends at the register. She also gave the impression that we all were a nuisance and was interferring with her visit with friends.
I understand this hotel is going to be renovated in the near future and I can see a great potential but until you have professional and courteous staff, no amount of money will create the hotel you hope for.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to Alexander Fulton Hotel & Convention Center? Share your experiences!