“The Worst Hotel Ever” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Alexandria
Houston, Texas
“The Worst Hotel Ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

If you are in the Alexandria area, please do not choose this hotel. It looks good on the outside, but once you walk in the rooms you will be disappointed. The sign outside states, "newly renovated rooms, but clearly that is a LIE!!! The room had articles left behind from the previous occupants, such as a kids toy behind the bed, toilet paper stuck on the back of the door in the restroom, Q-Tips left on the bath tub, etc. It was awful. WE had to Lysol the entire room before me or either of my friends would sleep in the beds. I felt so bad b/c I had bragged so much about how good choice privileges hotels were and my friends ragged on me the entire time. The power went out in our room when we turned on the microwave, and let's not talk about the air conditioning unit that was shooting out sparks!!! This was the WORST HOTEL EVER!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Most of the time, I read the reviews for hotels, but on this particular occasion, I did not. We usually stay at the La Quinta in Alexandria and LOVE it, but we quickly had to find a replacement hotel when we discovered LQ was booked the night we needed to stay. I called a family member to find out our options and he found this hotel and said it looked nice online. Our requirements: we needed a pet-friendly hotel that would allow our boxer at a minimum cost, wasn't far from I-49, was reasonably priced, and was a good value. We got 2/4.

The sign at the entrance said pets were a $15 charge, but the receptionist (who was nice) charged us $10. (For the record, LQ is free.) Still, not bad.

The hotel was about 5 minutes from I-49, and was reasonably easy to access. Leaving to get back to I-49, however, was a little trickier and required us to go out of our way and cross McArthur - which can get a little busy - to get back to the highway. Again, not too bad.

Price: We paid $140 for our room. I could overlook the unattractive lobby...I wasn't planning on spending a lot of time there. But the bedroom/bathroom needed some work. It just looked...sad. In need of a facelift. Everything looked old and beat up. The outside lights poured into the bedroom and there was no way to block it because the curtains were sheer. They had dark curtains, too, but they were primarily for "decoration" and could not close or cover the windows. The bathroom was missing some grout near the floor. The countertop was cut to make room for the toilet and there was raw edges and glue visible. It did NOT look worth the price I paid...it looked like a Motel 6 or Super 8...especially considering the LQ is less expensive and more beautiful. (Can you tell I really love that LQ? I do. It has a great value-to-cost ratio!) I would not say the price was reflective of the value AT ALL, and I was very disappointed.

On the positive side, I didn't see any bugs (thank God!). And they do offer a decent free breakfast, but the eating area is small and cramped. I could barely pull my chair back without bumping into another table.

Overall, I would not recommend this hotel, especially at the price they are charging. Expect to be disappointed.

(Side rant: We were charged for a room safe that we didn't even use...they didn't mention the charge before I purchased the room...I only discovered the charge when I checked out and asked for the receipt - which they don't automatically give you...you have to ask.)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

As soon as I walked in I noticed the gross fish tank ( poor fish) the ripped carpet, the restrooms upstairs were horrible!! That place needs to be deep cleaned. It could be a nice place if they actually took the time to clean it. The couches in the lobby looked like something you would find by a dumpster. The steps leading to the pool smelled of urine. There are just too many things wrong with that place. Take my advice...don't stay there, you'll be highly disappointed!

• Stayed May 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

My family and I were visiting for the Easter break. Roaches greeted us in the first room, we were given another room and told. Dwe couldn't get a refund to go somewhere else. We get in the next nasty room we have mold spores at the bottom of the shower curtain, two towels and the room smelt wet. We couldn't breathe I sprayed disenfectant spray all night plus be on the look out for more roaches. If this is the best you can do still run away. I advise no one to stay especially if you have child(ren). If they had zero's that's what Econo Lodge would get that's the only reason they got a one.

• Stayed March 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

My family and I stayed at econo lodge in Alexandria, la. All our rooms smelled really bad, the cleanliness was so bad we had to go and purchase Lysol to disinfect our rooms. The website was much nicer than in person.

• Stayed April 2013
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

i & my wife checked-in at 12(midnight) found front desk very active, fast, heplfull and really good at english. we got surprised to see this, then next morning breakfast was great, really impressed. rooms were clean, freshly smelled..etc.

rooms are fully renovated with lcd and micro-fridge in it

all the employee working at econolodge were hardworking....

good stay and planning to visit soon.

Room Tip: 3rd building downstaris rooms are quieter
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Canada, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I was with my family,stayed @this motelit was ok for one night room was clean and good.in the morning afer having a breakfast i forget my camera and laptop in the lobby .we were searching for it and than we thought why not we call hotel,the f.d told us to call nextday so again we called next day to our surprise manager said he had it and collecy any time we like honesty.I recomend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Alexandria? Share your experiences!