Most of the time, I read the reviews for hotels, but on this particular occasion, I did not. We usually stay at the La Quinta in Alexandria and LOVE it, but we quickly had to find a replacement hotel when we discovered LQ was booked the night we needed to stay. I called a family member to find out our options and he found this hotel and said it looked nice online. Our requirements: we needed a pet-friendly hotel that would allow our boxer at a minimum cost, wasn't far from I-49, was reasonably priced, and was a good value. We got 2/4.
The sign at the entrance said pets were a $15 charge, but the receptionist (who was nice) charged us $10. (For the record, LQ is free.) Still, not bad.
The hotel was about 5 minutes from I-49, and was reasonably easy to access. Leaving to get back to I-49, however, was a little trickier and required us to go out of our way and cross McArthur - which can get a little busy - to get back to the highway. Again, not too bad.
Price: We paid $140 for our room. I could overlook the unattractive lobby...I wasn't planning on spending a lot of time there. But the bedroom/bathroom needed some work. It just looked...sad. In need of a facelift. Everything looked old and beat up. The outside lights poured into the bedroom and there was no way to block it because the curtains were sheer. They had dark curtains, too, but they were primarily for "decoration" and could not close or cover the windows. The bathroom was missing some grout near the floor. The countertop was cut to make room for the toilet and there was raw edges and glue visible. It did NOT look worth the price I paid...it looked like a Motel 6 or Super 8...especially considering the LQ is less expensive and more beautiful. (Can you tell I really love that LQ? I do. It has a great value-to-cost ratio!) I would not say the price was reflective of the value AT ALL, and I was very disappointed.
On the positive side, I didn't see any bugs (thank God!). And they do offer a decent free breakfast, but the eating area is small and cramped. I could barely pull my chair back without bumping into another table.
Overall, I would not recommend this hotel, especially at the price they are charging. Expect to be disappointed.
(Side rant: We were charged for a room safe that we didn't even use...they didn't mention the charge before I purchased the room...I only discovered the charge when I checked out and asked for the receipt - which they don't automatically give you...you have to ask.)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Econo Lodge Inn & Suites hotel is conveniently located off Interstate 49, in the quaint town of Alexandria. The Alexandria International Airport is less than five miles away, and the hotel offers free airport shuttle service. Free hot breakfast and Micro/Fridge in all rooms. Free wireless Internet. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Choice Hotels, TripOnline SA, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Alexandria reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Alexandria Hotel Alexandria
- Econo Lodge Inn And Suites Alexandria
- Econo Lodge Hotel Alexandria
- Econo Lodge Alexandria
- Alexandria Econo Lodge